By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Head-to-Head Comparison

Miyamotoo said:

I know what is writen, but you can see yourself in that comparison that I include, and definitely textures look almost same (maybe is that way beacause WW textures are very simple), while in TP case in head to head comparison you will see huge difference (especially in floor textures).

In worst case they will say they analysis in their review. You relly cant have big a technological overhaul as WWHD did because you can't have same effect on TPHD because art style that aged terribly.

Digital Foundry's word carries somewhat more weight than yours, as they are experts.

And there's nothing stopping the application of a lighting overhaul in TPHD except that Tantalus/Nintendo are simply too cheap/lazy to implement it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I know what is writen, but you can see yourself in that comparison that I include, and definitely textures look almost same (maybe is that way beacause WW textures are very simple), while in TP case in head to head comparison you will see huge difference (especially in floor textures).

In worst case they will say they analysis in their review. You relly cant have big a technological overhaul as WWHD did because you can't have same effect on TPHD because art style that aged terribly.

Digital Foundry's word carries somewhat more weight than yours, as they are experts.

And there's nothing stopping the application of a lighting overhaul in TPHD except that Tantalus/Nintendo are simply too cheap/lazy to implement it.

Digitalfoundry in not telling what those two videos comparisons are showing.

Yes there is, art style that aged terribly on which lighting overhaul wouldn't has same effect like it has on WW HD. There in logic to be cheap/lazy in one Zelda port and not in another, especially when we know that WW HD is done in only 6 months.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Yes there is, art style that aged terribly on which lighting overhaul wouldn't has same effect like it has on WW HD. There in logic to be cheap/lazy in one Zelda port and not in another, especially when we know that WW HD is done in only 6 months.

Forgive me for taking the word of experts over a random forum member.

And whether you think the art has aged well is beside the point. Gamecube era lighting and shading stick out like a sore thumb in 2016, but could easily have been remedied if this port wasn't so barebones.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Forgive me for taking the word of experts over a random forum member.

And whether you think the art has aged well is beside the point. Gamecube era lighting and shading stick out like a sore thumb in 2016, but could easily have been remedied if this port wasn't so barebones.

Why you need to taking word of anybody, you have video comparisons and you have eyes.

Actually its well known fact that TP art style aged terribly. Again, they didn't could because of terrible aged art style, at least not in HD port, only if they made remake instead of HD port.

Its fact that remaster of game that graphics aged good will look much better than remaster of game that graphics aged terribly. Thats why even TP HD looks bad for today standards and WW HD looks great even for todays standards. Its so simple.

Miyamotoo said:

Why you need to taking word of anybody, you have video comparisons and you have eyes.

Actually its well known fact that TP art style aged terribly. Again, they didn't could because of terrible aged art style, at least not in HD port, only if they made remake instead of HD port.

Its fact that remaster of game that graphics aged good will look much better than remaster of game that graphics aged terribly. Thats why even TP HD looks bad for today standards and WW HD looks great even for todays standards. Its so simple.

My eyes tell me the same thing; WWHD has much better textures than the Gamecube version.

And art style is entirely subjective and simply a matter of opinion. What's not subjective is that DX10/11 shaders are a gargantuan technical leap over DX7.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

My eyes tell me the same thing; WWHD has much better textures than the Gamecube version.

And art style is entirely subjective and simply a matter of opinion. What's not subjective is that DX10/11 shaders are a gargantuan technical leap over DX7.

Well we definatly dont see same thing.

Yes, and widely spread opinion is that WW HD art style looks beautiful while TP HD art not so beautiful. Yes, but would DX10/11 shaders had same effect on TP art style that today look like ass and on WW art style that still looks good!? Definitely can't have same effect.

And like I wrote, Its fact that remaster of game that graphics aged good will look much better than remaster of game that graphics aged terribly. Thats why even TP HD looks bad for today standards and WW HD looks great even for todays standards. Its so simple.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, and widely spread opinion is that WW HD art style looks beautiful while TP HD art not so beautiful. Yes, but would DX10/11 shaders had same effect on TP art style that today look like ass and on WW art style that still looks good!? Definitely can't have same effect.

And like I wrote, Its fact that remaster of game that graphics aged good will look much better than remaster of game that graphics aged terribly. Thats why even TP HD looks bad for today standards and WW HD looks great even for todays standards. Its so simple.

Art style is still a matter of personal preference though.

For example, if you ask me, Twilight Princess looks better than Wind Waker on both Gamecube and Wii U. I know that's not the most popular opinion, but I don't need the agreement of others to validate my views.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Art style is still a matter of personal preference though.

For example, if you ask me, Twilight Princess looks better than Wind Waker on both Gamecube and Wii U. I know that's not the most popular opinion, but I don't need the agreement of others to validate my views.

But if something is really bad or ugly and huge majority have similar opinion, then its reality that is bad or ugly regardless your personal opinion. You maybe like TP art style, but its fact that aged terribly and that WW art style aged pretty good.

I dont saying that TP HD couldn't look better with better lighting and shadows for instance (definatly would look better), my point is that wouldn't had same effect that has on WW HD and again wouldn't look beautiful and good for today standards in comparison with WWHD.

Miyamotoo said:

But if something is really bad or ugly and huge majority have similar opinion, then its reality that is bad or ugly regardless your personal opinion. You maybe like TP art style, but its fact that aged terribly and that WW art style aged pretty good.

I dont saying that TP HD couldn't look better with better lighting and shadows for instance (definatly would look better), my point is that wouldn't had same effect that has on WW HD and again wouldn't look beautiful and good for today standards in comparison with WWHD.

It doesn't matter how many people agree, subjective artistic preference by its very nature cannot be factual.

For me, Wind Waker is ugly and Twilight Princess is not, and the number of people who agree or disagree are irrelevant to my perception.