By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Climate Change: What's your take?

DevilRising said:
The United States is just about the ONLY developed nation on the face of the Earth with a sizable portion of the population that actually argues over whether or not Climate Change is even happening, let alone what is causing it. And that is not only insane, it's frightening.

The United States, as well as many other nations (196 total), recently signed treaty to control emisions. It seems only people in the US denying it are probably political candidates sponsored by oil companies. :P

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

The climate has been changing since before man.

fatslob-:O said:
Player2 said:

I'm talking about Africa, you're the one excluding everywhere else.

Wasn't my intention ... 

I was just focusing on Africa and you forget about the benefits of less deaths due from freezing ... 

I've already analyzed the problem in USA in my first post, and I guess Lafiel or one of our several nordic posters can tell you how bad it is in Europe, but don't expect much because we have the Gulf Stream (and money).

30 years ago, scientists discovered en Ozon hole in our atmosphere and warned that it was made by humans. Not everyone believed that, many said it was just a natural phenomenon and stuff. Luckily, the majority of people was aware of the danger ahead and so we took measures. After 10 years, nothing happened. The sceptics were reassured that humans had nothing to do with it. 20 years later, still nothing happened. Seems like those scientists got it all wrong, huh? Let's rape this planet! But just last year, NASA finally could confirm that the Ozon hole, which is twice the size of the US, is finally beginning to close. We are successful here, but it just takes a hell lot of time.

The same is true for climate change. While I'm pretty sure we are not the only reason for that, we sure as hell do our part. It's just better to be cautious and to act now. After damage has been done, repairing that is hard as fuck and takes ages. Preventing such damage from happening is much much easier. We have the technology to change our atmosphere significantly. We just have to use it in the right way.

So yeah, I'm all for electric cars, reproducable energy and even atomic energy for that matter. Let's do everything we can to make sure our children will have a good time on this planet. Our parents fucked up pretty good, let's not make the same mistakes. Even when everything we try is in vain, we at least tried. I just think it's the wrong spirit to go ahead and say "yeah, can't do nothing about it, fuck it".

About benefits from climate change: Could be, we don't know. But the science points to a different direction. A very real danger is the extinction of the gulf stream. If that sucker stops to work, europe will freeze to death. Imagine the whole european population fleeing to somewhere else in the world. For the climate to get warm enough there without the gulf stream, we would have to wait for global warming for some more centuries. By that time, living in other parts of the world would be impossible, because it's simply too hot.

Of course we don't know exactly what will happen. But we do know that our planet in its current state is a pretty damn good place for human creatures. So I say let's keep it that way for as long as possible and don't rely on things that could or could not happen. This is the only planet we have, we shouldn't fuck it up. We really really shouldn't.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

of course climate change is real, I don't think anyone with half a brain debates that. The real questionable issue is how much that change is being influenced by mankind and it is pretty unknowable at this point as so much data is simply not available with so many factors that influence the climate. Any science that claims humans are categorically changing the climate is junk science (That is not to say we aren't changing it, but we don't have the evidence or data to prove it). Having said that, what humans do to the earth is pretty atrocious and whether we are affecting the climate or not our governments should be forcing industry and the population to clean up our act as if nothing else pollution is definitely not good for the environment or for human health.

Around the Network

I just can't wait to have the beach at my doorstep.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

I'm too hot for this earth to handle.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

We have reached the point of no return, and while we may be able to mitigate damages, nobody will do enough to try, and our species as a result will be doomed.

VGPolyglot said:
We have reached the point of no return, and while we may be able to mitigate damages, nobody will do enough to try, and our species as a result will be doomed.

humankind won't die from this kind of climate change (to hot house climate or a next glacial period), our civilization however probably will take a huge hit and most bigger animals are in severe danger of extinction

Lafiel said:
VGPolyglot said:

humankind won't die from this kind of climate change (to hot house climate or a next glacial period), our civilization however probably will take a huge hit and most bigger animals are in severe danger of extinction

Well, all of the natural disasters will become much worse as a result and we will have much less fresh water.