By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - the Wii U is not getting replaced this year, guys

Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:
se7en7thre3 said:
PerturbedKitty said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

9 Jan WW SW up. http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42379/Global/
3DS numbers and likely lower baseline when they'll settle make me think (even more than I already did) that the first NX we'll see will be the portable one, Ninty can afford its weakest platform to be weak for some more months, but not both its home and portable consoles.

Thanks for providing evidence and facts. SOME users (soundwave *cough*) don't like providing evidence when they come into the thread and make claims. 

dafuq?  I'm not the SDL (soundwave defense league) but Wave has been the one here, for the longest, talking about falling 3DS numbers all around and has received backlash for it.  Wave always has been a proponent of replacing the 3DS first. 

I'm mainly referring to his latest comment about how it looks like wii u is getting replaced this year.  I asked him how and there has been no reply. 

He has been saying that about the Wii u this entire time. I have no problem with the idea of the 3ds getting replaced this year. Hell, I even said that in the op. I'm 50/50 on that, I can see it going either way. This discussion is about the Wii u though, and he has been uncompromising on that position. I don't have a problem with his position on 3ds.

Jeezus Kitty, chill out. 

You're acting a bit like a kid who's being told the family pet is about to be put down anytime someone suggests the Wii U might be nearing its end. 

To me Wii U is just a piece of plastic (not even a particularily impressive piece of plastic given the era it exists in) that plays Nintendo games for a very unremarkable period in Nintendo's history.

That's it. I'm a Nintendo fan and have been for a looooooong time (probably longer than some people here have been alive period). No individual console is bigger than Nintendo as a company, consoles they come and they go, and once they go not much thought is given to them. The next thing (NX) will come around and it will probably be a lot better than what the Wii U was and people will largely forget about this stretch of time. That's how things go and that's why I have no particular attachement to any specific Nintendo machine.

To me it doesn't even matter if NX is a portable (or more) or whatever ... it's a "console" because it will require Nintendo's lead resources and will have high end 3D graphics (anything beyond PS2 level requires large dev teams and large dev cycles). To even make a 2016 launch they will have to have been working on software since 2014. It is their primary focus now as it should be, Wii U/3DS era as it pertains to Nintendo's R&D is largely over. 

Wii U has maybe 20-25 more retail titles waiting to come out total in its lifespan (1st, 2nd, and 3rd party) a big chunk of that being the usual LEGO and annual Just Dance games. The PS3 and 360 probably have more software left to release than the Wii U does. NX probably already has 50-100 titles in development (Nintendo probably has 20+ in some stage of development themselves, Namco apparently has several, Square-Enix likely does too) and will get more as every month that passes. 

LOOOOOOOL!!

I see, now you're shifting goal posts just in case.

If nintendo releases a handheld this year and NOT a console, then you were wrong, end of story. A handheld is not a console replacement lol. 

Ok, thank you for the preview of what kind of backtracking we should expect to see in the coming months. 

Your whole POINT is that the Wii U has tons of support left ahead of it is it not? 

NOOOO lol wtf. my point is that the system isnt going to get replaced this year. i suspect it will have modest support from nintendo. 

If Nintendo has to focus on a new system, that means Wii U is kaput. I've said that for several months here now. 

since when do handhelds replace consoles? lol. oh yeah i forgot, when the vita came out, that was an effective replacement of the PS3. and when the DS came out, that was nintendo replacing the gamecube.

Wii U has maybe 20-25 retail releases left in its life cycle, half of which is stuff like LEGO and Just Dance games. 

well since you know so much about nintendo's release schedule, do you think you can confirm Paper Mario U for us? is this game for real or was it just a rumor?

Also you guys need to understand that just because a system is "released" doesn't mean support for said system just magically starts then. If NX handheld is launching in 2016 and NX console in 2017 like you are "hoping" for ... then honestly I have to ask if you really even know what the fuck you're hoping for in the first place. 

im not "hoping" for anything necessarily. im just telling you guys that its releasing in 2017 lol. here is another instance of you backtracking around in case youre wrong.

That means Wii U development is pretty much finished and has been going back at least to late 2014/early 2015 for Nintendo to be able to launch portable NX in time for this holiday and a console soon after. We know Nintendo takes 2-3 years to make a game on average. 

k

You want to push this agenda that the Wii U is this vibrant console with tons of support ahead of it, when even by your own math, it's fairly certain Nintendo's internal R&D is pretty much finished with both the 3DS and Wii U. 

ill just reiterate that i think its going to get modest support, maybe similar to 2014 like you said. 

the wii u isnt going to get replaced this year, and no amount of spin is going to change that, soundwave. youll get laughed off the forums if you try to go down the path of saying that a handheld can replace a console. and for what? just so you can say you were right in the, "wii u is not getting replaced this year, guys" thread? lol. 

If NX is a unified platform, then it launches when ever any iteration of hardware that has its game launches. 

No, you're wrong.

The 3DS didn't have two-three different launch dates because it has 2-3 different models, all the models play (mostly) the same games they are one platform. 

No.

I would say NX is the same thing, if NX is a unified platform it replaces both 3DS and Wii U, so when ever the first model launches is effectively the beginning of the NX-era and the end of whatever came before. 

No.

And if you're expecting 2014 type support for Wii U going past this year ... lol, good luck with that. 2014 is probably like one of the Wii U's peak years. The games Nintendo releases this year for Wii U are basically its swan song, it's not going to have another "2014 type year" after that. 

No, you're wrong.

I said NX development had to start IN 2014 in order for it to make even a 2016 launch in any kind of form factor. 

No.

You're wrong.

Around the Network
PerturbedKitty said:

Your whole POINT is that the Wii U has tons of support left ahead of it is it not? 

NOOOO lol wtf. my point is that the system isnt going to get replaced this year. i suspect it will have modest support from nintendo. 

If Nintendo has to focus on a new system, that means Wii U is kaput. I've said that for several months here now. 

since when do handhelds replace consoles? lol. oh yeah i forgot, when the vita came out, that was an effective replacement of the PS3. and when the DS came out, that was nintendo replacing the gamecube.

Wii U has maybe 20-25 retail releases left in its life cycle, half of which is stuff like LEGO and Just Dance games. 

well since you know so much about nintendo's release schedule, do you think you can confirm Paper Mario U for us? is this game for real or was it just a rumor?

Also you guys need to understand that just because a system is "released" doesn't mean support for said system just magically starts then. If NX handheld is launching in 2016 and NX console in 2017 like you are "hoping" for ... then honestly I have to ask if you really even know what the fuck you're hoping for in the first place. 

im not "hoping" for anything necessarily. im just telling you guys that its releasing in 2017 lol. here is another instance of you backtracking around in case youre wrong.

That means Wii U development is pretty much finished and has been going back at least to late 2014/early 2015 for Nintendo to be able to launch portable NX in time for this holiday and a console soon after. We know Nintendo takes 2-3 years to make a game on average. 

k

You want to push this agenda that the Wii U is this vibrant console with tons of support ahead of it, when even by your own math, it's fairly certain Nintendo's internal R&D is pretty much finished with both the 3DS and Wii U. 

ill just reiterate that i think its going to get modest support, maybe similar to 2014 like you said. 

the wii u isnt going to get replaced this year, and no amount of spin is going to change that, soundwave. youll get laughed off the forums if you try to go down the path of saying that a handheld can replace a console. and for what? just so you can say you were right in the, "wii u is not getting replaced this year, guys" thread? lol. 

If NX is a unified platform, then it launches when ever any iteration of hardware that has its game launches. 

No, you're wrong.

The 3DS didn't have two-three different launch dates because it has 2-3 different models, all the models play (mostly) the same games they are one platform. 

No.

I would say NX is the same thing, if NX is a unified platform it replaces both 3DS and Wii U, so when ever the first model launches is effectively the beginning of the NX-era and the end of whatever came before. 

No.

And if you're expecting 2014 type support for Wii U going past this year ... lol, good luck with that. 2014 is probably like one of the Wii U's peak years. The games Nintendo releases this year for Wii U are basically its swan song, it's not going to have another "2014 type year" after that. 

No, you're wrong.

I said NX development had to start IN 2014 in order for it to make even a 2016 launch in any kind of form factor. 

No.

You're wrong.

lol, Can't argue with that air tight logic. Obviously you're emotional about this topic, I really don't give a shit. Wii U is not a family member or a pet or a friend to me. It just provides me with some entertainment and it's a console that's happened to go really badly for Nintendo. 

Where are these portable NX games 'magically' going to come from by the way if they haven't been in development for the last 2 years? Do you understand how game development works?

Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:
Soun

placed this year. i suspect it will have modest support from nintendo. 

k

No, you're wrong.

No.

No.

No, you're wrong.

No.

You're wrong.

lol, Can't argue with that air tight logic. Obviously you're emotional about this topic, I really don't give a shit. Wii U is not a family member or a pet or a friend to me. It just provides me with some entertainment and it's a console that's happened to go really badly for Nintendo. 

Where are these portable NX games 'magically' going to come from by the way if they haven't been in development for 2 years? 

lol im not emotional about the topic, really. i have my opinions and thats about where it ends. i like the Wii U and its a fun console (obviously the best of this generation), but i dont see it as a family member. lol. im not a fucking freak. im honestly just a regular person.. i go to school, i work two jobs, i have a wife. im just a regular 'ol dude. 

to answer your questions, the NX games have been in development. i dont know when development on them started (neither do you lol) but we can be sure that theyre working on them. 

RolStoppable said:
I've heard that anyone who doesn't cut quote trees from this point onwards will get banned for spamming.

you were wrong about ssbb on one console outselling gta 4 on two consoles, so you dont have a say in this.

PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:
Soun

placed this year. i suspect it will have modest support from nintendo. 

k

No, you're wrong.

No.

No.

No, you're wrong.

No.

You're wrong.

Where are these portable NX games 'magically' going to come from by the way if they haven't been in development for 2 years? 

lol im not emotional about the topic, really. i have my opinions and thats about where it ends. i like the Wii U and its a fun console (obviously the best of this generation), but i dont see it as a family member. lol. im not a fucking freak. im honestly just a regular person.. i go to school, i work two jobs, i have a wife. im just a regular 'ol dude. 

to answer your questions, the NX games have been in development. i dont know when development on them started (neither do you lol) but we can be sure that theyre working on them. 

For it to launch in fall 2016, games have to have been in development for several years prior. Game development doesn't magically just happen in 6 months, especially not Nintendo and any kind of complex 3D games. 

You are obviously emotional about the topic if you're simply not going to address any points and just say "no, no, no, no, no!". 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Pert

No.

No.

No, you're wrong.

No.

You're wrong.

For it to launch in fall 2016, games have to have been in development for several years prior. Game development doesn't magically just happen in 6 months, especially not Nintendo and any kind of complex 3D games. 

lol, bro.. dude.. bro... here you are assuming that a console is launching in 2016 when that is what this ENTIRE argument is about.  you cant just use it as a given all the sudden. lol wtf how does that make any sense at all? really though.

You are obviously emotional about the topic if you're simply not going to address any points and just say "no, no, no, no, no!". 

lol. i thought it was funny.

I've been pretty consistent in my position that the NX is a unified platform. As such to me it doesn't matter when it launches, when ever the first model launches that's pretty much it. It's the NX-era, everything before basically becomes a legacy platform including the Wii U.

Even if it wasn't a unified platform, I don't believe Nintendo can support two high-end 3D gaming platforms (as the 3DS successor would almost certainly have close to Wii U graphics itself).

In either scenario, that's the effective death knell end for the Wii U.

And sure they could just release the NX console in 2016 too.

All I'm saying is in any scenario the Wii U is effectively a dead platform in any scenario.

It will have another 20-25 releases total in its lifespan (retail) and that's probably it, and of that maybe 6-7 will be really worth playing.

I believe the system is pretty much effectively done, because release dates don't determine shit, it's Nintendo's R&D and even to make the release dates for NX that you yourself propose it means Wii U development largely had to stop a while ago.

It takes Nintendo 2-3 years to make a high quality 3D game, even if its just the NX portable coming for 2016 that doesn't somehow "save" the Wii U.

I'm driving home right now and I'm about to get drunk with my friend and play mario's tennis smash for wii u. So I'll be back later

Soundwave said:
I've been pretty consistent in my position that the NX is a unified platform. As such to me it doesn't matter when it launches, when ever the first model launches that's pretty much it. It's the NX-era, everything before basically becomes a legacy platform including the Wii U.

Even if it wasn't a unified platform, I don't believe Nintendo can support two high-end 3D gaming platforms (as the 3DS successor would almost certainly have close to Wii U graphics itself).

All I'm saying is in any scenario the Wii U is effectively a dead platform in any scenario.

It will have another 20-25 releases total in its lifespan (retail) and that's probably it, and of that maybe 6-7 will be really worth playing.

I believe the system is pretty much effectively done, because release dates don't determine shit, it's Nintendo's R&D and even to make the release dates for NX that you yourself propose it means Wii U development largely had to stop a while ago.

It takes Nintendo 2-3 years to make a high quality 3D game, even if its just the NX portable coming for 2016 that doesn't somehow "save" the Wii U.

Sigh... and round and round we go I suppose.

This is the bottom line here: a 3ds successor is not a wii u replacent. You can go back pages and pages of people posting and you're the only one who has ever suggested that and it was just recently. You literally just came up with this idea, and i even go out of my way to say in the OP that the 3DS might get replaced, but not the Wii U. Handhelds dont replace consoles. 

Plus I already refuted your points when I said no, you're wrong, no, no, you're wrong, and I've yet to see any refutation of those points whatsoever.

PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:

Sigh... and round and round we go I suppose.

This is the bottom line here: a 3ds successor is not a wii u replacent. You can go back pages and pages of people posting and you're the only one who has ever suggested that and it was just recently. You literally just came up with this idea, and i even go out of my way to say in the OP that the 3DS might get replaced, but not the Wii U. Handhelds dont replace consoles. 

Plus I already refuted your points when I said no, you're wrong, no, no, you're wrong, and I've yet to see any refutation of those points whatsoever.

If NX is a unified platform, then yes NX is a replacement for everything, but I'm speaking more from a practical POV ... Nintendo has to support the 3DS successor 110% with their last dying breath if that's what it takes because if that fails then even you cannot be naive enough to not understand what happens next. 

So functionally the 3DS successor (which I think IS the NX and many others do also) is the one that has been getting Nintendo's top R&D attention. And likely has been for a while, since you can't just make games in 6-7 months, certainly not Nintendo games. We all know Nintendo games average development times in the 2-3 year range, even 3DS projects and 3DS successor will certainly be far more powerful than a 3DS. 

That's where I think yours and Nem's arguement falls apart, you guys are fighting so hard, but really the NX era is already started within Nintendo. The Wii U is not going to get the next 3D Mario or next Splatoon or next Retro game or any of that in all likely hood ... because much of this content has to be on the 3DS successor, which *rightly* so deserves every single bit of attention from Nintendo. 

It is the most important product launch arguably in their company history, if they are to have any future in the hardware business that product *must* be a success. Failure is not an option. 

People get mad at me for saying this stuff, but you're just barking at the messenger, I didn't create this situation, Nintendo did with a previous 5-6 years of very poor decision making and misreads of the market in virtually every demographic possible.