By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Netflix will block the use of proxies for geo-restricted content in the ‘coming weeks’

That just points out how ridiculous lincencing got in an ultra connected world.

Around the Network

There is still a lot of good Netflix original content that is available globally all at the same time. So it would be tough to give it away completely. I watch our native Netflix through PS4 as I can't be arsed setting up a VPN. But accessing US Netflix through an unblocker on a PC browser is really easy. I imagine the people who make the unblockers will work to try to cut through whatever they do. At the moment I am paying Netflix more than what they charge US customers, so I feel completely justified in accessing the biggest possible range of Netflix content. It's not like I'm pirating shit or anything. And indeed working too hard to kill off the VPN/unblocker thing will drive more people to the black and grey markets of streaming.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

SpokenTruth said:
Do they understand how proxies and VPN's work?

The only way I can think of to truly make this work is to associate content with the country your subscription is billed from.

And it's very easy to create a US Netflix account to get around that. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

SpokenTruth said:

Certainly won't be wholly technical means.  Netflix is not about to render the proxy and VPN industry obsolete. 

I am wondering if this announcement is just some facade, maybe a public message that is trying to calm whoever is making a big deal out of people accessing content all around the world.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1