By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Oculus CEO to Australians: Go Ahead and File a Complaint

aLkaLiNE said:
Also, for what it's worth, Luckey Palmer, the founder and inventor of Occulus Rift is only 23 years old. 23 years old and he came from an internet forum. Can't really expect everyone to be born with business sense

Good point. Hes really young and done incredibily well for himself so far, hes got time to learn and get that stuff down.

Around the Network
silvergunner said:
Insidb said:

And only Sony has the brand credibility to provide customers a certain degree of comfortability with their product. Oculus really needs to do something about their PR, because launching a brand new product, from a brand new company, at a much higher price point, is a tough sell. Imagine if it was the Oculus XBoxOne that went head-to-head with PS4.

Or putting it another way, Sony has the "brand credibility" because potential users are almost certain there will be some AAA software support for the new headset. I know there is a lot of software in development for the Rift, but potential users have the right to be skeptical about it as its a new platform with no guarantee of the games being released, or even there being any other games apart from launch title and indie titles.

Probably the biggest advantages Playstation VR has over Oculus Rift are: 1) Users can be certain there will be software that will support it; 2) It plugs into hardware they either already have, or is at an affordable price. Until we know how much the Playstation VR will cost, arguments over the price of the headset won't be able to be adequately resolved.

(Of course you could argue that Playstation Move was abandoned quickly, but keep in mind there were a few AAA games that did support it, and it was launched into a crowded market (motion controls) rather than a new one (VR).)

Exactly, and Sony can directly market to ~40M PS4 customers.

kitler53 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
This whole thing is 3DO all over again. I'm sure the people over at Sony were popping the corks as soon as the news hit and giving each other high fives.

i doubt they are popping corks. 

when ms announced xbone at $500 they popped corks because they had a clear competitive advantage in a market that was known to exist.

VR as a market doesn't exist.  yeah, sony has a bit of a competitive advantage right now but the psvr market and pc vr market probably don't have too much overlap and bad press about VR is bad for all VR players.

The name of the game is mass market. History shows that it's whoever makes the biggest splash at the consumer level. In the 80's, people don't own a video game console, they owned a "Nintendo". In the 90's, people didn't own a video game console, they owned a "Playstation". Thanks to that ridiculous price point, Rift is going to be in so few homes that it's going to be nothing more than a foot note. Meanwhile, Sony is going to get their VR into millions and millions of homes and, if the software is great, to reap the rewards. Everyone everywhere where be talking about Sony's system. It's going to be synonymous with VR. People won't say "Hey, have you seen this new VR console"? They're going to say "Hey, have you seen PSVR"?

Sony knows all of this because they've done it before. Who owns Rift? Facebook? lol Rift will go down as a device that helped forge the way but Sony's device will get all the credit because it's going to be the one that is in everyone's home (if VR actually takes off at all).

kitler53 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
This whole thing is 3DO all over again. I'm sure the people over at Sony were popping the corks as soon as the news hit and giving each other high fives.

i doubt they are popping corks. 

when ms announced xbone at $500 they popped corks because they had a clear competitive advantage in a market that was known to exist.

VR as a market doesn't exist.  yeah, sony has a bit of a competitive advantage right now but the psvr market and pc vr market probably don't have too much overlap and bad press about VR is bad for all VR players. 

PSVR will be cheaper, Sony can afford to make a 300-400$ headset they make optical stuff, facebook doesnt. You also wont need a 1000$ PC

aLkaLiNE said:
Also, for what it's worth, Luckey Palmer, the founder and inventor of Occulus Rift is only 23 years old. 23 years old and he came from an internet forum. Can't really expect everyone to be born with business sense

Well, he should either go to school to get business sense or hire some people to handle the PR and he just shut ups before destroys what he created.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Good point. Hes really young and done incredibily well for himself so far, hes got time to learn and get that stuff down.

He shouldnt be in charge in the first place

I don't get this guy but I also don't get why people don't just come out and say PCVR has no chance and will die because really that's what I;m seeing when we pit a PC VR device vs a single console one, same is going to happen with Vive as well and then we'll have the "you have to dump your soul and gold into building a new PC because you didn't get one free before".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Not sure why we Aussies would get a US tax on it...

At first I assumed the pricing was due to the difference in $ value, but after reading they are shipped domestically then that really is just day light robbery.

Why file a complaint when we can let our wallets do the talking AND NOT BUY ONE!

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Chazore said:
I don't get this guy but I also don't get why people don't just come out and say PCVR has no chance and will die because really that's what I;m seeing when we pit a PC VR device vs a single console one, same is going to happen with Vive as well and then we'll have the "you have to dump your soul and gold into building a new PC because you didn't get one free before".

Because Luckey does not represent VR on PC but only oculus. 

AlfredoTurkey said:

Exactly, somebody who knows their history. Same with Sega's Saturn compared to the Playstation price wise. $600? Come on. Sony's will probably be "299.99".