By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has your taste in gaming changed throughout the years?

Tagged games:

When I was a wee lad, at the ripe age of 8, I was a nut for JRPGs. As I've progressed through my teen years, I grew more fond of SRPGs. That then progressed to ARPGs in my late teens to early twenties. When Sega died 😢, I grew out of love for gaming and just stopped for 2 years.

The introduction of HDTVs turned me into an HDTV nut that needed all the HD content that I could get a hold of. This drew me into the HD format wars of Red vs Blue. Meanwhile, my curiosity for how games perform with these HDTVs pulled me back into the gaming scene. Not because of the games, but because of my love for seeing things in HD. 

I purchased an Xbox, GameCube and PS2. The Xbox had the best HD capabilities, followed by GameCube and PS2. HD cables for consoles were hard to get a hold of back then. It was awesome seeing games so clear, especially Robotech. I still lacked interest in actually playing on a regular basis though. The only games I regulared was GameCube PSO and then Xbox PSO, because I loved Dreamcast PSO so much. Even though the Xbox was more powerful, I favored playing the GameCube PSO more. Graphics looked way better for some reason. Made my fingers go in directions they were never meant to go though. That controller setup or something. The game was so good I put up with it.

I then stumbled upon this game called Maple Story on PC. My God, the next two years of my life were spent in front of that PC almost every minute I was home.

Xbox 360 came out and that's when I became less of a hardcore gamer and more causal. Achievements changed the game and have become more important than enjoyment.

Now in my Legendary years, I'm a casual gamer. Used to hate FPS, but am OK with them now. Loved the first CODs. Hate the newer ones. Love Titanfall. It is really hard for me to stomach sitting through an RPG, unless it's really good or I force myself to. With games, there's just so much crap out there, nothing feels genuine. 

I find it troublesome sometimes to actually play games. Would rather watch things. I wish we could get Achievements for watching things. Ohhh wait, you can on Xbone. But those are 0 points damnit! 😠 You almost got it right this gen M$, almost!! 

At the moment, I'm in a Disney Infinity craze. When people see me playing it, they say, "Aren't you too old for that?" Who cares if it's a baby game, I'm re-living my childhood or lack thereof. Though it is somewhat embarrassing buying an Elsa character at Toys R Us. 😳

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

I would say my tastes improved other than changed.My first games/ genres were always RPG, platform or RTS based, and as i was growing and tecnology improved and so the possibilities of other genres, I started licking FPS and third person shooters, fighting games to some extend, graphic novels, etc.The most recent(that is already 4 years ago but anyways)adition was horror games, since i didnt had the stomach to play them before.I can say for certain that, with some exceptions, if the game is good, ill play it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I would probably say my tastes stay the same, but even expanded. My tastes may have been better when I was younger, haha. Looking at my top 50 games, I played all kinds of games on different systems. Probably before I got into fan ways haha.

Probably the main that has changed is since becoming an adult, I'm not as shy play certain games. So I'm fine playing games now that star a cast of pretty girls and ripping peoples' clothes off, and not really feel a shred of embarrassment xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

My earliest gameing was platformers/beat em ups, on the snes.
Then fighter games.
I remember in my mid teens, strategie games where huge.
Abit lateron it was all shooters.
Lately its mainly MMOs & Mobas & RPGs... and the occasional platformer.

I cant remember the last time I played a beat em up style game, its like that genre died on the Snes.

FPS took a huge hit.. I basically dont play that genre anymore.

I want to say Ive always loved RPGs though, even way back in the day, so that aspect hasnt changed.

I used to play nothing but CoD games, now I like to play PC games and Nintendo games.

I'd say my taste has been all over the place.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I still play games from most genres to some decree at least, but I guess my taste in games has changed somewhat over the years. There was a point sometime during the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era when I began to grow tired of most FPS games. I still played some of them at that point, but much less than I used to, and when I did it was mostly offline multiplayer with friends.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that I really don't care about online multiplayer in most games. I find them to be mostly boring at best and often downright annoying and frustrating at worst. To me, playing online isn't much different from playing against bots. You're just playing against a faceless, voiceless caricatures pretending to be actual people.

During the last roughly ten years or so, I've bought exactly one FPS game for myself, Killzone 2, and it took me ages to finish it because I just couldn't get invested in it. The few other FPS's I've played are pretty much the same.

I'd say yes but mainly because the industry has changed too. Platformers are no longer the go to game like in the SNES/PS1 eras, it's FPS. Yet, I still buy every Tekken.

Hmm, pie.

Used to like shooters, now i hate them. Like western and Japanese rpg's, the occasional racer and PES i also play.

My tastes have expanded and as of this generation, have gone back full circle.

My tastes changed the most from the SNES/Genesis generation to the N64/PS1 generation, as anthropomorphic platformers and licensed games based on TV shows I loved gave way to JRPGs and Action-Adventure games.

Back to expansion and coming full circle; for the later PS1 and PS2 generation, I was a JRPG fiend. I also loved Nintendo games. The 360's dominance in NA and growing up had a lot to do with my expansion into Shooters, Horror, WRPGs, and pure Action games during the 360/PS3 gen. The Wii caused me to lose interest in Nintendo (though the handhelds kept me in the know).

Now that the PS4 is here and we're having a resurgence of the kind of games I used to play back for the PS2 and PS1, I'm now playing more of those games again and playing less of the Shooters (I've become bored of 'em) I did play during the 360/PS3 era. I also love my console Nintendo games again and with the HD rereleases of the GC Zelda games, have fallen back in love with the series on console after Skyward Sword soured me.

My favorite genres are still the same as ever (3D Platformers, Puzzle, Simulation, Adventure...), and I still dislike FPS games and most online multiplayer games, so I'd say my tastes haven't changed much. I'm starting to get more into RPG's, but that's pretty much it =P