By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do expanded mobile games have a bright future on handhelds?

Tagged games:

Do expanded mobile games have a bright future on handhelds?

Yes, this will be good for both markets. 5 55.56%

Only a couple of games wi... 1 11.11%

No, these are just lightning in a bottle. 2 22.22%

It will only hurt handhelds in the long run. 0 0%

amiibo game for mobile. N... 1 11.11%

Total:9

I've started to see a pattern when it comes to some mobile games in Japan. Puzzles and Dragons is one of the biggest F2P mobile apps in the East, and it managed to not only sell more than a million copies on the 3DS, it also got a crossover with Mario, gaining some interest overseas. Monster Strike looks like will follow that route, selling since its launch in Japan around 0,7m copies.

Is this going to become the new strategy between mobile and handheld? Will games become popular on mobile and gather an audience of millions of people, and then make an updated version for a budget price on handhelds? It could work, and it would be very interesting for other companies to take notes. Then again, it doesn't always work. Angry Birds on handhelds and consoles it's just the same game than in mobile, and thus, there is no reason to buy the premium version. I think this is going to become common in Japan and the rest of Asia. And who knows, maybe Nintendo can create new IPs for mobile games and expand them on their systems as well, with all of their mobile plans, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes true.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I don't think handhelds have a bright future.. Yes I understood the question

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

The bigger question is does handhelds have a bright future?

But to answer your question, I don't think they necessarily will.. as handhelds become less popular, there is less need to release them on handheld systems, though it definitely is nice to see there is a pay for the entire game option..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

RolStoppable said:
Platina said:
The bigger question is does handhelds have a bright future?

But to answer your question, I don't think they necessarily will.. as handhelds become less popular, there is less need to release them on handheld systems, though it definitely is nice to see there is a pay for the entire game option..

Handhelds, no. Nintendo handheld, yes.

I hope so too, because if the NX is a fusion, it would mean the end for Nintendo handhelds, depending on how the fusion works

I think there always will be a market for handhelds, like how there will always be a market for consoles despite more and more gamers moving to mobile..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Yes I think they might, but like you said the ports need to be more than just pay-upfront versions of an otherwise identical mobile game.

If you actually watch trailers for Monster Strike you can see that there is a full-fledged 3D RPG here. The mobile-style battle system has been retained but it really looks like the developer sunk time and money into making a proper 3DS game that you're just not going to find on smartphones. I think it's a great idea to port super popular mobile games in Japan to the 3DS in this manner because the serious/non-casual fans of the mobile game are going to be inherently attracted to the more immersive game experience that is available on the 3DS. The mobile game almost becomes its own sales pitch for the more fleshed out 3DS title.

Nintendo might be well-advised to take a hint here for when they start releasing their own mobile games: a trimmed down version of a Pokémon or Yokai Watch game that focuses in on one part of the game (like the battle system) could make for a great mobile game, save on development time and serve as a huge sales pitch for buying a Nintendo handheld!