By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo make an M-rated IP?

Should Nintendo make an M-rated IP?

NintenDO 142 72.45%

NintenDON'T 54 27.55%

Total:196

They need to make the games that they are most comfortable doing. If a team feels like they can properly make a dark game, then let them try. Likewise, if a team feels they have to make an age appropriate game, let them go for it. But don't make them make something they're not comfortable with.

Look at naughty dog. Noone told them "make a dark game or make a kids game," they just made what they thought they could. From passive games like Crash bandicoot and jak and daxter, to darker games like uncharted and the last of us. They themselves said they probably wont stray too much from dark and gritty, and that should be fine since that is they're comfort zone

Around the Network

Perhaps. Though I dont think people would take it seriously.

How is this even a valid question?
Yes nintendo not haveing M rated, means they dont have little anything appealing to mature audiences.

Nintendo has a stigma of being something kids own and play with.... if they want to change that to get more marketshare (gamers dont just play games when they are kids), they need to have plenty of titles that appeal to older audiences.

AgentZorn said:
Perhaps. Though I dont think people would take it seriously.

Because you know nintendo would half-ass it, and only do 1 or 2 titles... which wouldnt be enough.

Hiku said:

It's already in the works for the NX.

A new Super Mario Sunshine ?

Id buy that :P

I'd love to see maybe a second party studio try their hand at a brand new IP that is just all out M-rated, I'd be extremely curious to try it out.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

John2290 said:
I am pretty sure they did for the wii. I remember owning one VERY brutal cell shaded game the was from a first party nintendo studio. Also that shooting/sword game that released with the wii? Was that nintendo?

Madworld (wii):

JRPGfan said:
Hiku said:

It's already in the works for the NX.

A new Super Mario Sunshine ?

Id buy that :P

lmao

also is everyone here forgetting about Fatal Frame ?

Nintendo really needs to create more development studios that focused on creating the type of games that their internal studios don't make like Monolith Soft, Intelligent Systems and Retro Studios tend to do. It's one of the reasons why I'd be all for Nintendo buying Capcom or creating a long-term 2nd-party relationship with Platinum because while a lot of their titles are 'M-Rated', many of their games still fall in-line with what Nintendo does in that gameplay is still prioritized over other things like narrative, story and pretty set pieces.

if the game calls for it then sure, but don't just make it M for the sake of it.

They should have had one like 10 years ago. They did actually have Perfect Dark and Conker before they decided to sell Rare.