By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon US January monthly bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

16 hours since last update:

#19 PS4 Black Ops 3 Bundle (down 1)
#34 XB1 Gears Bundle (up 4)
#57 N3DS Black (up 3)
#64 PS4 Fool's Edition (up 7)

Originally Posted by Abdiel

Yo!

January.

Fucking Bored to death here, gents and ladies.

I mean, it's good to have breathing room and catch up on reports/paperwork, but the stories empty out. Tax refunds aren't out yet, so people aren't spending anything yet.

Major drop off, as expected, for both systems. PS4 holding steady as the better seller across our districts. Nothing really all that surprising. I don't see anything really going to change too much in terms of the trend for awhile. We'll see with QB.

Division drawing a lot of interest. Bundle, not so much. Fucking seriously, another $399 bundle?

Christ it's like they don't even care.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Sorry for the late update. I had a total brain fart and forgot all about it. Well, here's the update to the monthly rankings:

PS4 COD bundle: #22 (↓3)
XBO Gears bundle: #49 (↑1)
New 3DS XL: #62 (—)

The PS4 has slid several places over the past couple of updates, but still retains a commanding lead.

And here's the updated Week 4 rankings:

PS4 COD bundle: #30 (↓3)
XBO Gears bundle: #33 (↑3)
New 3DS XL: #60 (↑3)
PS4 Standalone: #64 (↓11)

The COD and Gears bundle are really close this week, which is odd considering they're usually quite a bit apart in the hourly rankings. Perhaps the ascent of the PS4 standalone is the culprit? I could have siphoned off some sales of the COD bundle during that time it was going for $320 or whatever. But seeing as that deal is over and the PS4 standalone is tumbling back down the charts, and with only three updates left for January, it may not quite make it to the top 100 for the month.

Isn't it odd that the gap has never been as little as 3 in the hourlies and yet here it is in the weeklies?

The PS5 Exists. 

Shadow1980 said:

I don't get it, either.

I posted this 2 hours ago and it's the closest they've been all week and all month:

#19 PS4 Black Ops 3 Bundle (down 1)
#34 XB1 Gears Bundle (up 4)

I would love to know how Amazon do these charts.

The PS5 Exists. 

Shadow1980 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Isn't it odd that the gap has never been as little as 3 in the hourlies and yet here it is in the weeklies?

I don't get it, either.

We arent keeping track of the other games, so it is probably just games from 19-34 quickly spike to a top 10 spot then drop out of top 100 and thus sell more or less then PS4. While PS4 and XB1 sales are steady.

If PS4 sells at 80k week 1 then 50k then 40k, while XB1 is at 50k then 40k then 30k for each spot in the weekly. Hypothetically, Then all the games have to do is sell between those numbers and then spike to chart ahead for the week, so 50k-80k is 17-45 in week one, 40k-50k is 30-55, 40k-30k is 27-51. 

All made up numbers but if the numbers are close between the hardware but most games sell within that range hourly then spike they can end up ahead.

Farsala said:

We arent keeping track of the other games, so it is probably just games from 19-34 quickly spike to a top 10 spot then drop out of top 100 and thus sell more or less then PS4. While PS4 and XB1 sales are steady.

If PS4 sells at 80k week 1 then 50k then 40k, while XB1 is at 50k then 40k then 30k for each spot in the weekly. Hypothetically, Then all the games have to do is sell between those numbers and then spike to chart ahead for the week, so 50k-80k is 17-45 in week one, 40k-50k is 30-55, 40k-30k is 27-51. 

All made up numbers but if the numbers are close between the hardware but most games sell within that range hourly then spike they can end up ahead.

Yeah, that could be it.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Very few days until closure of the month and nothing new to see.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lets hope Febuary is more exciting than January. I don't remember a slower month for games, gaming news and everything else.

16 hours since last update:

#22 PS4 Black Ops 3 Bundle (down 3)
#35 XB1 Gears Bundle (down 1)
#53 N3DS Black (up 4)
#78 PS4 Fool's Edition (down 14)

The PS5 Exists. 

Two days and the only thing we have that would be interesting is fool's edition making the cut or not

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

When is Microsoft releasing The Cloud and DirectX 12 for the Xbox One?

That will launch the consoles sales back to the Top 10 like in the holidays.