By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Was the 2DS and New 3DS a waste of time for Nintendo?

The 2DS and New 3DS were bought to market as a way to prolong the life of the 3DS, encourage repeat purchases and target new segments of the market. Similar to how the DSi was bought out as a better DS.

3DS sales have been falling for some time now but the 2DS and New 3DS have gone some way to slow the decline. Are they huge successes? Nope. Are they huge failures? Not close.

Around the Network

My old 3DS does everything I want it to do except run Xenoblade Chronicles, but I can live with that, because it still plays Rune Factory 4.

Sony, if you're reading this, do something new with The Legend of Dragoon. You will make me a happy man. Thanks.

I had sold my original 3DS a long time ago so it was a real treat to pick up the New 3DS. The larger screens, the second analog stick (which gets used in a couple of games I'm playing), and the much improved 3D made it very worthwhile for me. It's a good product - I don't think it was a waste.

The New 3DS, maybe, but I love the 2DS I got.

I use it as a Pokemon machine as I have no interest in most of Nintendo's other IP's, so it was no use in me investing in the full 3D model, especially when I'd find myself playing with the 3D switched off 90% of the time.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
its still down yoy, so i would say it was a waste

DSi released in late 2008, DSi XL in late 2009 in Japan and DSi in early 2009 in the West, DS was overall down YOY in 2009, was that a waste as well?

New 3DS was never meant to be some magical sales beast that would elevate 3DS to the heavens, it's a stopgap upgrade meant to extend the life of 3DS by a year or so. In that sense, it did it's job.

a little bit yes.

Still doesnt make what i said untrue. It got a a small boost but the end result would most likely would have ended the same

Around the Network
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

DSi released in late 2008, DSi XL in late 2009 in Japan and DSi in early 2009 in the West, DS was overall down YOY in 2009, was that a waste as well?

New 3DS was never meant to be some magical sales beast that would elevate 3DS to the heavens, it's a stopgap upgrade meant to extend the life of 3DS by a year or so. In that sense, it did it's job.

a little bit yes.

Still doesnt make what i said untrue. It got a a small boost but the end result would most likely would have ended the same

Actually what u said is untrue, shipments for the last 3 quarters are up nearly 50% YOY

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

withdreday said:

The New 3DS, maybe, but I love the 2DS I got.

I use it as a Pokemon machine as I have no interest in most of Nintendo's other IP's, so it was no use in me investing in the full 3D model, especially when I'd find myself playing with the 3D switched off 90% of the time.

New 3DS has sold more than 2DS while being on the market for less than half the time.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Of course not, more options are always good. If all you want is to play Nintendo games and don't care about the hardware, then the 2DS is a solid option. If high-end hardware so you can experience games at their best is your thing, then there's the N3DS. In terms of sales, who knows really. Yes they haven't stopped it's decline, but perhaps they've slowed it. Without these new models it could be selling even worse than it is now.

In Japan it seems the New 3DS models offered a huge boost. Outside however it seems pretty pointless.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

The new 3DS offered a good boost. However, the 2DS was a total waste of time. Just a placeholder I guess, Idk. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).