By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Star Wars spoiler enrages Man. Threatens school shooting. * facepalm*

I lost my hope when Trump ran for president...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Hmm... perhaps it's justified, which part of the movie was spoiled? XD

A threat is a threat. If the person who reported it felt that it could happen they have every right to call the cops

John2290 said:
FragilE^ said:

You're disagreeing. I think this is a prime example of a "thought crime". Sorry, pal. You're going to jail too. :/

Wow. It technically is. The thought police are here. Oh balzzz, everything I'm typing on here...I can't stop myself, the thoughts just keep coming and they end up on the screen. What can I...oh, just stop typing. Duh. 

Too late. You probably have some "wrong" thoughts too. Probably.

Jail for you as well!

vivster said:
contestgamer said:
vivster said:
Wait what? Jail for a Facebook post?

IT'S CALLED A THREAT AND YES THAT'S ILLEGAL.

It's not like he held a gun to his temple. Show me a single threat on the internet that is not empty as fuck. Poeple say lots of things on the internet.

The magic word is context and nuance. Law isn't black and white.

That's why downloading an illegal MP3 isn't the same as conducting an armed robbery of a record store.

Actually the law IS BLACK AND WHITE. Who cares if its empty? It might not be. A threat is illegal and nobody is going to consider whethet it wass empty. You do something illegal and you get locked up period.

Around the Network
vivster said:
sabvre42 said:
vivster said:
contestgamer said:
vivster said:
Wait what? Jail for a Facebook post?

IT'S CALLED A THREAT AND YES THAT'S ILLEGAL.

It's not like he held a gun to his temple. Show me a single threat on the internet that is not empty as fuck. Poeple say lots of things on the internet.

The magic word is context and nuance. Law isn't black and white.

That's why downloading an illegal MP3 isn't the same as conducting an armed robbery of a record store.

Its only empty until is legit right?

So next time the news reports about a murder ... and the threats he made prior that no one acted upon... you'd be the first to sympathize with people for not acting?

Sorry, but intent is a very big differentiator in law. I'm saying there is nuance in law that is very important. There are certain degrees of crime and posting a picture with some empty words on Facebook is not the same as  threatening someone personally with a gun and putting them into immediate danger. If we'd instantly incarcerate everyone for posting stupid stuff on Facebook there'd be no more more people to log into Facebook to see those things.

I'd say taking away his weapons and banning him from posting onto social media for a few months would be a good learning experience for this guy. Going straight to jail for a very minor offense only makes things worse. Getting put into jail by a snitch is a far greater motivator for real violence than any Star Wars spoiler could be.

A guy calling the cops on someonee threatening their life is a "snitch" now? Putting him in jail doesn't make things worse unless you release him.  Throw him in prison and throw away the keys and you don't have a problem anymore. Should help deter others from doing the same again.