By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - USA political system needs changes

Which system do you prefer?

two-party 8 12.12%

multi-party 58 87.88%

Total:66
bouzane said:

I agree with your sentiment because America desperately needs to defend its core democratic values from the political system that serves to undermine them but...

Do you actually believe that the President gets to make important decisions regarding things like foreign policy? Do you actually believe that Gore could have prevented the Iraq War? Presidents are not the primary policy makers. Case in point, Reagan's foreign policy was identical to Carter's. The Reagan Doctrine was simply a continuation of the Carter Doctrine because neither President was involved in these policies. Independent, private organizations and unelected individuals make the important decisions.

Gore wouldn't have gone to Iraq.  The only reason we went into Iraq is because Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld had a hard on for Saddam.  You are right though that most politicians are mere puppets on a string.

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:
Azerth said:
or we just dont have any partys

Exactly. All it does is create bias and divsion. Personally i think if you claim any party you're an idiot. 

How will the majority of USA citizens vote?  They usually just vote for their party.  There is even an option when you vote to just vote for all candidates for one party.  How simple is that?  Just click one button.

Snoopy said:
Sort of off topic, but why the hell do our politicians keep letting refugees in our country when we can't even take care of our own kind properly?

Don't ever let anyone tell you the U.S. CAN'T take care of it's own. We as a country, have simply chosen not to.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

sethnintendo said:

Two party system -  This needs to be changed to a multiparty system.  Both major parties suck.  There needs to be more parties to choose from and your vote needs to count.  Proportional representation is far superior to winner takes all.  I would vote if winner takes all was axed.  I want my vote to count for a third party.

Electoral college - This is the worst idea to keep alive in the 21st century.  Fuck the electoral college.  Gore would have defeated Bush if it was up to the popular vote.  Now we have turmoil in Iraq for decades thanks to Bush being allowed President.  They say your vote counts...  What if you voted for the other guy than your state elects?  You vote doesn't count.

Citizens United - The biggest pile of shit to ever get approved from the Supreme Court.  Money talks.

Election Day - Needs to be a national holiday.

2Pac - Changes

1. While I agree the two party system sucks, the voters are to blame for this. Every election, I see third party candidates on the ballet. Most people don't bother to even take the time to figure out who these people are.

2. While I don't entirely agree with the Electoral College, it must be said that there are only two times in American history when the Presidential candidate with the popular vote lost. So the Eletoral College has had very little impact on who wins these elections. Also, even if Gore had become President, 9/11, the War on Terror, and the Great Recession still would have happened.

3. I do agree that Citizens United is bullshit.

4. I believe Election day IS a national holiday. It's held around the same time and it's usually marked on most callendars.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Jon-Erich said:
sethnintendo said:

Two party system -  This needs to be changed to a multiparty system.  Both major parties suck.  There needs to be more parties to choose from and your vote needs to count.  Proportional representation is far superior to winner takes all.  I would vote if winner takes all was axed.  I want my vote to count for a third party.

Electoral college - This is the worst idea to keep alive in the 21st century.  Fuck the electoral college.  Gore would have defeated Bush if it was up to the popular vote.  Now we have turmoil in Iraq for decades thanks to Bush being allowed President.  They say your vote counts...  What if you voted for the other guy than your state elects?  You vote doesn't count.

Citizens United - The biggest pile of shit to ever get approved from the Supreme Court.  Money talks.

Election Day - Needs to be a national holiday.

2Pac - Changes

1. While I agree the two party system sucks, the voters are to blame for this. Every election, I see third party candidates on the ballet. Most people don't bother to even take the time to figure out who these people are.

2. While I don't entirely agree with the Electoral College, it must be said that there are only two times in American history when the Presidential candidate with the popular vote lost. So the Eletoral College has had very little impact on who wins these elections. Also, even if Gore had become President, 9/11, the War on Terror, and the Great Recession still would have happened.

3. I do agree that Citizens United is bullshit.

4. I believe Election day IS a national holiday. It's held around the same time and it's usually marked on most callendars.

1. Problem is, both major parties rely on a fear-based campaign, talking mostly about how bad the others are. In the current system (non-transferable vote, first past th post gets 100% of the representation) a third party candidate hurts the cause of the party with whom they are ideologically closest to, draining votes.

I mean, let's say Sanders goes independant, and gets a certain popularity.

(I am not, by the way, stating an opinion on the parties themselves - this is prely for demonstration.)

In a state X, currently, democrats have 55 %, republicans 42%, with 3 % other.

Let's say, Sanders convinces 22% of the population.

For obvious reasons, no one that was previously voting republican is amongst these 20%, Sanders thus takes off 1% (of total) from other independants, and 21% off of democrats.

The results are the following:

Sanders: 22 Democrats: 34 Republicans :42 Ind.: 2

-In the american system, republicans would take the seat. (100 percent of the voting right of this unit.) This is ridiculous, as the majority of the population of the unit would evidently prefer a demcrat candidat.

-In a single transferable vote, the second choice of the voter is taken in account, when your candidate is not one of the leading candidates. Thus, Democrats  get the 22 percent from sanders, and take the seat.

-In germany, (my prefered voting system), the voting power of each party is transfered directly to congress, proportionally. (note: local representation still exists, simpling filling in half of the seats in congress, the other half being filled in to obtain the true voted proportions, candidates chosen by the party). IF, at a national level, proportions would be the same, Democrats would be forming a coalition government with either republicans or Sanders. This assures that the population is maximally represented.

People say that coalition governments bring conflict, and thus weaken the government. Nonetheless, the american government is alot, alot less productif than its counterparts. The two major parties are being forcefully held together, knowing that a split would let the others win by default in the current systems, creating just as much dispute if nto more as would have been found in a coalition. (example: republican tea-party and the rest would probably be 2 seperate units in the german voting system, by now. This is better, as the republican voter could choose if they would want more of the former or the later.)

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

Democrats are currently babies who want to support the crazy loons in BLM, feminism, and LGBTQ+(or whatever the hell they're calling it). All they really want is some sort of magical world where we apparently can stop every bad person without any sort of downsides. They also claim to love free speech, but do not let people talk if they're "offensive" or "racist"(which means everyone that disagrees with them).

republicans are some nutjobs that are desperate to win. For some reason, they think the Bible can still be supported as the establishment for a country filled with diversity. Also, they're fine with bombing different countries for oil...erh, I mean democracy! Oh, and ISIS! Lots of ISIS! Know that friendly Muslim guy who recommended Islam to you? Why don't we record his every action 24/7!

Don't get me started with liberals and conservatives, rights and lefts! All just pure nonsense! I'm fine with facts, reason, and a changing mindset that is flexible enough to solve issues in the best way possible

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

- Alternative vote. When individuals vote, they get two votes. A first pick and second pick. After voting is done, all the first picks are counted. If an individual has over 50% of the vote, they win. If nobody has over 50%, the lowest scoring candidate is removed, and the people who voted for him will have their second picks counted to total. Keep repeating this process until one candidate emerges with over 50% of the vote.

- Increase the number of Reps to 1,000. Introduce rules to reduce gerrymandering.

- Term length increased from 2 to 3 years. One third up for election each year. 3 term limit.

SENATE

- Return control entirely to the states. Each state determines process of selecting their senators. Term limits, lengths, whether they're nominated or elected, etc, all up to the states.

- Senate loses ability to propose new bills, can only amend existing. Any amendments must also go back and pass the House.

- Double qualified majority in order to pass a bill. Requires >50% of Senators AND those Senators must come from States that have >50% of the total population.

PRESIDENT

- Remove electoral college. Use Alternate vote.

SUPREME COURT

- The Supreme Court has a monumental flaw in that it's used as the last determination of what the Federal Government can or can't do, and it's supposed to be "above politics". Yet, there's no denying that the Judges that Presidents appoint are political appointments. Also, how can it be a limit on Federal power when it's selected BY the Federal government?

- I have not got any idea of the mechanism, but the states really need to have some input into the balance of the supreme court.

TAXATION

- The Feds should lose the ability to tax citizens and businesses. They should maintain the power to impose taxes on imports, and user fees for using Federal property. Primarily, the Feds should tax the STATES.

- States are taxed according to Representation in the House. So, if there's 1,000 House Members, and this year's tax bill is $3t, if a state has 50 Representatives, that state will have to pay the Feds $150b

- The tax bill is set by Congress one year in advance of it being due. President has no ability to veto this, though s/he may propose an amount formally to the Congress.

SPENDING

- Should not be allowed to spend more in a given year than they receive in "revenues".

- 1/6 of the spending should allocated every two months.

BILL LENGTH AND TRANSPARENCY

- For every 20 pages of a bill, a day must be waited between being proposed and voted on.

- A bill should be made accessible to the public digitally immediately after being proposed.

CITIZENS UNITED

- I agree with the fundamentals of this Supreme Court ruling. "Money is speech" is just a catchy way of saying that both money and freedom of speech are derived from the same right of property.

- Rand Paul has the perfect solution for this. Corporations can donate at much as they want. However, if a corporation donates a large amount of cash, then they are not allowed to accept Federal contracts for the period of that Congress.

MONEY

- States should repatriate their gold, and the Congress should determine the value of the dollar vis-a-vis a weight of gold. States will then control their own finance systems, with the only limit being the physical amount of gold under the control of the State.

This just in:

Water is wet, fire is hot, and Call of Duty is bad.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

SamuelRSmith said:
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

- Alternative vote. When individuals vote, they get two votes. A first pick and second pick. After voting is done, all the first picks are counted. If an individual has over 50% of the vote, they win. If nobody has over 50%, the lowest scoring candidate is removed, and the people who voted for him will have their second picks counted to total. Keep repeating this process until one candidate emerges with over 50% of the vote.

- Increase the number of Reps to 1,000. Introduce rules to reduce gerrymandering.

- Term length increased from 2 to 3 years. One third up for election each year. 3 term limit.

SENATE

- Return control entirely to the states. Each state determines process of selecting their senators. Term limits, lengths, whether they're nominated or elected, etc, all up to the states.

- Senate loses ability to propose new bills, can only amend existing. Any amendments must also go back and pass the House.

- Double qualified majority in order to pass a bill. Requires >50% of Senators AND those Senators must come from States that have >50% of the total population.

PRESIDENT

- Remove electoral college. Use Alternate vote.

SUPREME COURT

- The Supreme Court has a monumental flaw in that it's used as the last determination of what the Federal Government can or can't do, and it's supposed to be "above politics". Yet, there's no denying that the Judges that Presidents appoint are political appointments. Also, how can it be a limit on Federal power when it's selected BY the Federal government?

- I have not got any idea of the mechanism, but the states really need to have some input into the balance of the supreme court.

TAXATION

- The Feds should lose the ability to tax citizens and businesses. They should maintain the power to impose taxes on imports, and user fees for using Federal property. Primarily, the Feds should tax the STATES.

- States are taxed according to Representation in the House. So, if there's 1,000 House Members, and this year's tax bill is $3t, if a state has 50 Representatives, that state will have to pay the Feds $150b

- The tax bill is set by Congress one year in advance of it being due. President has no ability to veto this, though s/he may propose an amount formally to the Congress.

SPENDING

- Should not be allowed to spend more in a given year than they receive in "revenues".

- 1/6 of the spending should allocated every two months.

BILL LENGTH AND TRANSPARENCY

- For every 20 pages of a bill, a day must be waited between being proposed and voted on.

- A bill should be made accessible to the public digitally immediately after being proposed.

CITIZENS UNITED

- I agree with the fundamentals of this Supreme Court ruling. "Money is speech" is just a catchy way of saying that both money and freedom of speech are derived from the same right of property.

- Rand Paul has the perfect solution for this. Corporations can donate at much as they want. However, if a corporation donates a large amount of cash, then they are not allowed to accept Federal contracts for the period of that Congress.

MONEY

- States should repatriate their gold, and the Congress should determine the value of the dollar vis-a-vis a weight of gold. States will then control their own finance systems, with the only limit being the physical amount of gold under the control of the State.

You forgot the part where no politician can make over $100K a year, remove their ability to give themselves raises, and institute a penalty of 10 years (minimum) for lobbying. 

This would remove the bastards who are in it for money from office and let in people who legitimately want to make a difference. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

hershel_layton said:
Democrats are currently babies who want to support the crazy loons in BLM, feminism, and LGBTQ+(or whatever the hell they're calling it). All they really want is some sort of magical world where we apparently can stop every bad person without any sort of downsides. They also claim to love free speech, but do not let people talk if they're "offensive" or "racist"(which means everyone that disagrees with them).

republicans are some nutjobs that are desperate to win. For some reason, they think the Bible can still be supported as the establishment for a country filled with diversity. Also, they're fine with bombing different countries for oil...erh, I mean democracy! Oh, and ISIS! Lots of ISIS! Know that friendly Muslim guy who recommended Islam to you? Why don't we record his every action 24/7!

Don't get me started with liberals and conservatives, rights and lefts! All just pure nonsense! I'm fine with facts, reason, and a changing mindset that is flexible enough to solve issues in the best way possible

Both parties got CISA into an omnibus bill because most of them don't care about rights, it is about securing interests and power.  Part of why I think candidates on both sides are seeing shifts to the wings as people increasingly become disillusioned with the whole thing.