By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

Teeqoz said:
LordLichtenstein said:

Come on man, keep 'your' own opinion out of it.

The only thing there that was my own opinion was the "Not gonna happen" part. For now at least

But why do you say "people doesn't care about it", what gives you that idea? :D

Around the Network
LordLichtenstein said:
Teeqoz said:
LordLichtenstein said:

The only thing there that was my own opinion was the "Not gonna happen" part. For now at least

Because (most) people don't. I'm sure there is the odd Avatar fan here and there, but not many.

Teeqoz said:
LordLichtenstein said:
Teeqoz said:
LordLichtenstein said:

Because (most) people don't. I'm sure there is the odd Avatar fan here and there, but not many.

I couldn't disagree more, but hey, will know in 2017 ;)

StreaK said:
Wonktonodi said:

Titanic came out 18 years ago and considering it was topped by avatar it's reign at the top lasted 12 years. Also avatar came out 6 years ago not 7. Both movies released in December

There are two movies that held the top spot for longer

Birth of a nation 25 years.

Gone with the wind 24 though 23 consecutive then one more after a release. And counting inflation Gone with the wind has never been topped.

Yeah, but in terms of ticket sales Avatar didn't even come close to the 135 million sold set by Titanic. I think it did like half that lol. Titanic today would have over a billion domestically (without 3D like Avatar had) and I'm even afraid to say how much internationally. This is the most modern film that has accomplished such crazy numbers. You take a look at the top 20 inflation adjusted and well, Titanic is like the only 90's film on there. Many are 70' and 80's and even way before. I don't really consider Avatar topping Titanic...it's just EXTREMELY difficult to crown Avatar when the ticket sales were actually quite low.

Gone with the Wind had NUMEROUS theatrical releases...it was a whole different world back then and cannot be compared to Titanic's time. ALL people had then were movies for entertainment really as far as technology goes. Titanic did monstrous sales in the 90's when there were many other forms of entertainment options. In any case, BOTH were huge for their respective time periods. 

And yeah, you're right...6 years. It was pretty much released in 2010.

estimates I've seen for ticket sales in the US in millions

225 Gone with the wind

194 Star Wars

161 ET

156.4 Sound of Music

130 Ten Commandments

128.4 Titanic

78.3 Avatar hardly low, 24th on the list. While it is 50 million less tickets in the US I'm pretty sure the rest of the world more than makes up for it in the other direction.

Some other things to consider over ages, the population was much lower when some of these movies came out, and there were so many more movies coming out every year than there are now and while Gone with the wind has benefitted from rereleases people kept going back to see it. Not all rereleases do well also Titanic had a pretty huge 3D rerelease itself that added $58 million in the US and another $285Million in the rest of the world.

DakonBlackblade said:

I dont think anything will ever beat Avatar, but this will definetly beat Avengers, Jurassic World and probably beat Titanic.

VGPolyglot said:
What's more interesting is seeing if it can beat them when adjusted for inflation.

No it wouldnt and this also makes no sense, Gone with the Wind adjusted for inflation would have grossed over 5 billion dolars, thats unrealistic as hell, if the tickets costed what they cost nowadays a lot less ppl woudlve bought it, also ppl went more to theaters in the past because we didnt have nearly as much forms of entertainement as we do today. Adjusting grosses for inflation makes 0 sense realy.

The point of adjusting for inflation is to try and get a better comparison of ticket sales and not just dollar amounts the price of movies tickets while not a constant compared to the dollar hasn't flucuated so widely that they aren't comparable. So saying if they cost what they do now people wouldn't go makes no sence. They cost less that a quater when GWTW came out but EVERYTHING cost less and people were making less, and no Gone with the Wind isn't at 5 billion when adjusted it's about 3.4 billion wolrd wide.  want to hear something crazy? The movie that is listed as number 2 is Avatar with a little over 3 then star wars with 2.8 and Titanic with 2.5. So while hard milestones to reach, they are harldy undoable and the coparisons are fair.

While people in the some contries wre going to much more movies then, the movies had more competition from other movies then, plus movies today have a much bigger market than back then, the US population was 130 million back then so 200 million fewer people than now and the world population has more than trippled in adition to more people seeing movies now in some contries than ever before.

Around the Network

I am really excited for yesterdays numbers.

The Force Awakens is now the reigning box office champ as far as records go, having swooped up 19 since it's debut last week. 

Jumpin said:
Soundwave said:
LordLichtenstein said:

What do you guys think it did Tuesday?

I think $37.7M

Say bye bye to Avatar if that's that case at least domestically. 

I don't "hate" Avatar, it's a competent movie, that's just been done better like 3 or 4 times before (Dances With Wolves is far better) and I think it's honestly James Cameron's weakest film. 

Well that's BS, have you even seen Avatar? How is it the same story as Dances with Wolves? Is it because they both have some sort of a native in it that the protagonist befriends?

This is like saying that Force Awakens is the same story as Titanic because they both have a ship in it. Or that Force Awakens is the same as Sparticus because they're both about a resistance against an Empire.

Let's be real, Avatar is a totally different genre of film than than Dances with Wolves and also a much better film.

In all fairness there are many, many, many articles showing the similarities between Avatar and Dances with Wolves.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
Star wars is not a popular series in china that's a proven fact, also it will not beat avatar.
So don't get your hopes of it doing extremely well in china, also from a personal stand point, I hope it ends up behind avatar and titanic. The movie was a piece of shit... worst star wars movie so far by a wide margin . The way they treated Luke's character was complete bullshit.

It will do well in China. China has much less stricter laws with foreign movies coming in now. 

Also, wait for episode VIII to see more on Luke. I don't know why you think they handled him poorly. This is a trilogy after all, there's a lot more to tell from Luke's side of the story and I'm very excited to see it. There's no way they could have crammed everything into VII without royally fucking up.

Lawlight said:
It makes perfect sense to compare adjusted for inflation.

So you think that gone with the wind were released today itd make 5 billion dolars ? And in like 10 year itll be 7 billion or so. Thats not how it works, if a ticket costs 100 instead of 10 a lot less ppl buy it, if Force Awakens ticket were 10 dolars it would definetly have sold way much more tickets. And them 50 years from now wed adjust it to inflation and say, hey Star Wars wouldve made 4 billion dollars if it was released today, and thats just retarded.