By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the "Tales of" Series Need a Break?

Ruler said:
Symbolic said:

It's been annualised in the West since 2011. Since then we've seen the Abyss (3DS, 2011/12), Graces f (PS3, 2012), Xillia (PS3, 2013), Symphonia Chronicles (PS3, 2014), Xillia 2 (PS3, 2014), Hearts R (Vita, 2014) and Zestiria (PS3/PS4, 2015). It's basically on-par with the two biggest annualised non-sports franchises, Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, which have seen eight and six new entries since 2011 respectively.

For me, it certainly needs a break. I'm not even that much of a Tales fan, having only dipped my toes in the franchise thus far, but the constant releases turn me off instead of enthusing and exciting me. It's happened with Assassin's Creed and Pokemon as well, and will pretty much happen with every single franchise I enjoy or am interested in if they're annualised.

More power to the people that are enjoying them and are fine with one or more new entries per year. I'd just prefer a new entry every 2-3 years.

There is still a difference, every tales game has new characters and new story and content. Assassins creed is pretty predicable ounce you know in which timeframe its playing: ohh its playing in victorian london guess we have to put jack the ripper dlc into it.

And Call of Duty really? It has no deep story at all in its campaign, i think you cant compare tales to these franchise. And neither sells tales as many units

I'm comparing them to Tales in terms of number of releases, not content, sales, time to beat/complete or any other metric. If you don't think that's fair or appropriate, could you explain why?

Around the Network

Maybe yes or NEXT GEN ONLY! Berseria looks like a PS3 Games / Zesteria -.-

And next year is the best jrpg-time ever with PERSONA 5 and FINAL FANTASY 15. No chance for ToB.

It needs more Elize in every game

They need to release them less frequently. We don't need a main series Tales of every year. But aside from that I think they need to hire better dungeon designers, that's their weakest spot.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

KazumaKiryu said:

And next year is the best jrpg-time ever with PERSONA 5 and FINAL FANTASY 15. No chance for ToB.

I think that's mainly due to the art style they use since Xillia, it looks kind of washed out, even if they went next gen only it wouldn't look that good. If they used cel shading like with Vesperia, the games would look a lot better.

Around the Network

They should make it every 2-3 years, it also desperately needs a new engine and a bigger budget.
That last one a really enjoyed was Graces F. I've got to admit though I will be looking closely at berseria.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Keybladewielder said:
KazumaKiryu said:

I think that's mainly due to the art style they use since Xillia, it looks kind of washed out, even if they went next gen only it wouldn't look that good. If they used cel shading like with Vesperia, the games would look a lot better.

ok yes, you are right my friend!

but i dont know.. Persona 5, FF15, Ni No Kuni 2 then... so beautiful. And Berseria looks... "okay" - but its only my opinion. the graphic is not important, but a tales of-game with beautiful graphic like "Vesperia"... oh, this is my dream ^^

Yes it needs a break and better writers and changes to the battle system. It's getting a little tiring since there's not much change from game to game. I still haven't finished Xillia, and I started that game in January. Lose interest every time Alvin changes sides.

It definitely can, but I'm still interested in all the games coming out :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Rather than a break, I'd hope next entry is base don new engine that takes advantage of PS4s power.