By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Exec Defends PS2-on-PS4 Price Points

sc94597 said:
JinxRake said:
sc94597 said:
loy310 said:
you bunch of cheap asses.
$10????? bums. I can't ever remember complaining about 10 bux in my life. I would hope that i will never be that broke to snap over $10

he PS3. 

So...let me see if I get this straight: I can now play XBox Original games on an XBox One?

Also...can I play N64 games that I own on a Wii U?

Even better, you can play Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. And why go back three generations for Wii U? Wii U has full backwards compatibility with Wii and if you do a quick homebrew mod in Wii-mode (which is removable)- Gamecube. 

Soooo...I would need to hack the console to play games from a previous system?

Yeah, not seeing your point very well here.

I am going as far as I like because I find the duplicity of threads like this ridiculous.

You buy a game and you play it on the system that you bought it on. That's it. That's as far as it goes. Getting BC on some consoles is a cute bonus, but it's ridiculous to expect a company to give you a game for free on ANY platform that they release further on.

It doesn't work like this ANYWHERE in entertainment. I am not owed by a publishing house every single new iteration of a book I have bought from them ten years ago.

If I buy a musical album today, does that mean the publisher owes me every single revised version and remastered version of said album from here on out?

I drive a Golf.

Next year Volkswagen will probably release a new model with features that my car doesn't have.

Am I owed said features? 

Around the Network
JinxRake said:
sc94597 said:
JinxRake said:
sc94597 said:
loy310 said:
you bunch of cheap asses.
$10????? bums. I can't ever remember complaining about 10 bux in my life. I would hope that i will never be that broke to snap over $10

he PS3. 

So...let me see if I get this straight: I can now play XBox Original games on an XBox One?

Also...can I play N64 games that I own on a Wii U?

Even better, you can play Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. And why go back three generations for Wii U? Wii U has full backwards compatibility with Wii and if you do a quick homebrew mod in Wii-mode (which is removable)- Gamecube. 

Soooo...I would need to hack the console to play games from a previous system?

Yeah, not seeing your point very well here.

I am going as far as I like because I find the duplicity of threads like this ridiculous.

You buy a game and you play it on the system that you bought it on. That's it. That's as far as it goes. Getting BC on some consoles is a cute bonus, but it's ridiculous to expect a company to give you a game for free on ANY platform that they release further on.

It doesn't work like this ANYWHERE in entertainment. I am not owed by a publishing house every single new iteration of a book I have bought from them ten years ago.

If I buy a musical album today, does that mean the publisher owes me every single revised version and remastered version of said album from here on out?

I drive a Golf.

Next year Volkswagen will probably release a new model with features that my car doesn't have.

Am I owed said features? 

No you can play Wii games fine on Wii U - every single one. But if you also want to play any Gamecube game it literally is a five minute mod away. Nintendo didn't support GameCube games because initially they weren't interested in bringing the GC controller around, and backwards compatibility runs in Wii mode.  How many PS3 games can you play on PS4? 

As for your allusion to other media: 1. Video Games are not other media. They have different standards and expectations. If backwards compatibility is possible, then that is one of them. 2. Can you not play DVD's and CD's on your Bluray player? Can you not play downloaded media through usb/sd card on  your blu-ray player/sound system?

And nobody is saying give new content away for free. People are saying that they should support the originally purchased games. The PS4 CAN read PS2 discs. The PS4 CAN emulate PS2 games off the disc with the original content.  

It is the standard on PC, Wii U, and now even XBO to support backwards compatibility. Why shouldn't Sony do the same? 

Versus_Evil said:
Why dont you own a PS2.

I don't want to lug another console around as a transient student in addition to my Wii U, PC, PS3, and future PS4. Out of the four PS2's I've owned only one works, and it barely works at that (need to restart discs multiple times.) It also happens to be my phat model. 

JinxRake said:

Strongest point of the thread, imho. Watch it be ignored since people have already made up their mind.

naruball said:
JinxRake said:

Strongest point of the thread, imho. Watch it be ignored since people have already made up their mind.

It is actually not what people are arguing. People are arguing that the manufacturer of a device should support previous formats, if it is possible. A better analogy would be if a Blu-Ray player didn't support DVD playback because the publishers of content want people to upgrade their very same DVD library to a Blu-Ray one. 

Around the Network
EnjoyingMyGames said:
No thanks Sony. Won't support it when the competition does it right. I love the PS2 but won't support the greed like that.

Which competition is doing it right? Can't think of any systems with backwards compatibility from gen before last. And pretty certain Nintendo were expecting pretty similar prices for N64 games on Virtual Console.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

sc94597 said:
naruball said:
JinxRake said:

It is actually not what people are arguing. People are arguing that the manufacturer of a device should support previous formats, if it is possible. A better analogy would be if a Blu-Ray player didn't support DVD playback because the publishers of content want people to upgrade their very same DVD library to a Blu-Ray one. 

That's not what this is like. A company making a Blu Ray player doesn't need to pay the movie studios for each DVD that they want to make available.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:

sc94597 said:
naruball said:
JinxRake said:

That's not what this is like. A company making a Blu Ray player doesn't need to pay the movie studios for each DVD that they want to make available.

Nor does a company producing software that emulates a game. Did Sony have to pay each company for the PS3's software emulation?

MikeRox said:
EnjoyingMyGames said:
No thanks Sony. Won't support it when the competition does it right. I love the PS2 but won't support the greed like that.

Which competition is doing it right? Can't think of any systems with backwards compatibility from gen before last. And pretty certain Nintendo were expecting pretty similar prices for N64 games on Virtual Console.

They don't have to when they allow you to play seventh gen games allowing you to free up space for a sixth gen console. And at the very least one can bring Wii Virtual Console games to their Wii U, at the most they can unlock GC backwards compatibility in Wii mode. Sony doesn't do the same for PS classics. If you bought the game recently on PS3 you cannot play it on your PS4. That is something atypical for digital media in general. 

ganoncrotch said:
weaveworld said:
I feel like i have been buying FF7 for every generation since it's release.

The price tag of 15 euro's for Rogue Galaxy seems a bit steep to me. I do however feel like playing the game again. I'd say 10 euro's would be a nice offer to jump in on any ps2 game i know is gonna give me a good time.
Despite the fact that I already have bought them years ago and someone is actually ripping me off. Unless i am the only one making use of the games' new features though. It's like paying administration fees at Ticketmaster per ticket.
Anyway, after finishing DQ Heroes and FF7 I'll probably end up buying some Jrpg goodness like Rogue Galaxy.

If you still have the psone disks of FF7 those work 100% in the ps2 and ps3, heck if you have a ps3 you can even play FF7 on both the psp/Vita as long as you're on the same wi-fi network as the ps3, just chuck the disks in it and remote play from the psp/vita.

Not sure why you've been rebuying the game on the last gens... especially the ps2, since, well that would just take the psone disks again haha.

I phrased 'i feel' with the sole purpose of that ps2 option in mind. And of course you are right about the options on ps3 and psp. That being said, yes i bought the psn ff7 for ps3 because that gave me a reason to sell my Psone collection.  Which contained platinum and original versions of several games including FF7. Of which I bought one surely during the Ps2 era. ;p

Of course a decision i now and then regret.