By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which developer should Sony buy, Konami or Capcom?

Which developer should Sony buy, Konami or Capcom?

Capcom, because.. 110 51.89%

Konami, because.. 43 20.28%

see results. 59 27.83%

Total:212

None actually.They should buy some franchises that fits them most, not the whole companie.Metag Gear Solid and Street Fighter for example would be better off at sony, while Castlevania and Megaman would be better with Nintendo.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Neither. Let Google buy them. They're the next company who will enter the console wars.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Nem said:

Holy crap! Why would anyone want to buy Konami? Just to have the IP names?! Theres no need for that.

Konami IPs are awesome, there is no denying that.The companie itself that sucks.Or dont you want to see a truly great Castlevania, Contra, Megal Gear Solid, Bomberman, etc game again?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
Nem said:

Holy crap! Why would anyone want to buy Konami? Just to have the IP names?! Theres no need for that.

Konami IPs are awesome, there is no denying that.The companie itself that sucks.Or dont you want to see a truly great Castlevania, Contra, Megal Gear Solid, Bomberman, etc game again?

The names mean nothing. Look at the Xeno series. Square, Namco, Nintendo... aslong as its the same developer, you know its the real sequal.

They have Kojima, thus they have a Metal gear reboot. If they get Iga, they can make a Castlevania reboot (he already is). If they get team silent members they can make a silent Hill game under a new name. If they get the Suikoden creator they can make a new series.

You know what i mean. The names are familiar and all that, but if you get the original creators in there making the real sequal under a different name, people will eventually forget the old names.

This is what Konami failed to realise. Its not the IP names, its the developers behind it.

Will anyone care if Konami makes a new MGS with a different team? My guess is not. Everyone knows its not the real thing.

Of both, Capcom is the best option.

Konami is only an empty shell, full of good/great IPs, but without anyone there to make good use of them. Meanwhile Capcom also has the good/great IPs but they still have their dev teams and care about making games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Of those two? Capcom.

Why? Monster Hunter exclusive on Vita.

Nem said:
Nautilus said:
Nem said:

The names mean nothing. Look at the Xeno series. Square, Namco, Nintendo... aslong as its the same developer, you know its the real sequal.

They have Kojima, thus they have a Metal gear reboot. If they get Iga, they can make a Castlevania reboot (he already is). If they get team silent members they can make a silent Hill game under a new name. If they get the Suikoden creator they can make a new series.

You know what i mean. The names are familiar and all that, but if you get the original creators in there making the real sequal under a different name, people will eventually forget the old names.

This is what Konami failed to realise. Its not the IP names, its the developers behind it.

Will anyone care if Konami makes a new MGS with a different team? My guess is not. Everyone knows its not the real thing.

For me its not the same thing.The creators may try to revivee it with similar games, and while the game may the expetacular, it will not pack the same punch as a game with the original names, places charachters and so on.Mighty Number 9 for example, it still looks very good despite all it went throught, but if it actually called megaman with all its lore in it, people and me would be much more excited.Dont get me wrong.It still neeeds a good direction, something that Konami will never be able to do anymore, but its franchises and names still pack a gigantic punch and will be unfortunally only rescued when the company goes bankrupt, which may still take awhile.

These new franchises that the creators are creating, like MN9 and Bloodstained may grown to be as beloved as their original inspiration, but if that were to happen, it will take many years.And even when they do, people will still care about for Castlevania and Megaman.You may not care about the name and the legacy it carries, but most of us do.And most of us misses it deeply.

Why buy Konami? Let them make pachinko machines & f2p games.

Hideo Kojima & Koji Igarashi are finally can make their games for Sony and others.

S'cool!

Neither. Not only because they'll be too expensive (both to buy and to then try to fix) and too useless, but also because, at least in my opinion, there's too few large publishers already. Because of all the acquisitions, mergers and failures over the last decade -- where Square and Enix merged, Koei and Tecmo merged, Eidos was swallowed by Square Enix, Atlus was swallowed by Sega, Midway failed, and THQ failed, among others -- we're left with only a handful of large publishers, a few of which are struggling with financial problems and/or software output. I guess I just don't like the concentration and would prefer more larger publishers capable of releasing mid-size and big-budget titles using various distribution methods.

In saying that, Konami looks like it's pretty much done with the industry and it is hoarding a bunch of beloved IPs -- Bomberman, Castlevania, Gradius, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Suikoden, etc. -- so I really wouldn't mind a buyout of its gaming assets by another party. It just depends on whether or not Konami's gaming IPs are actually beneficial to its pachinko and pachislot division -- do the Castlevania or Silent Hill branded machines perform better than the non-branded ones? If they are beneficial, then it's going to have to be a licensing deal to bring them back to gaming; if they're not, then maybe they'd be willing to sell them.

Capcom, although it is struggling both financially and with its release schedule, looks like it's still very much interested in the industry and wants to make a comeback. It's been relying mostly on re-releases/remasters for the past few years, with its main new titles being released in partnership with platform holders (Microsoft for Dead Rising, Nintendo for Monster Hunter and Sony for Street Fighter), but it is still actively trying to recover. If it needs to partner with the platform holders to do so, that's fine, but I'd rather it recover as an independent company than be bought out by another.

Neither. But out of those two Capcom. Konami doesn't deserve to be bought by anyone. They shall burn in hell! =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.