By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Developers are pushing the Wii U to its limits!

Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

I asked what in the WiiU was better than PS4 to justify his jump (when he said he jumped to WiiU just because the gap from Wii to WiiU was bigger than PS3 to PS4), he never answered. The other guy I have no issue with what he said.

No you asked me at which point I told you to go ask them for clarification, so far you've not directly asked them anything only person who did was the person I was in a convo with and he explained his reply as the convo was over whether he meant graphics or enjoyment of games.

I swear I remember asking him. Perhaps multiquote failed, anyway my bad if I didn't. Either way the person didn't come back to answer, so there isn't much point asking again. Sorry to have troubled you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
midrange said:
Wyrdness said:

He didn't say PS4 has no games though or anything of the sort, to me his comment came across more as him or her saying that the PS4 has not yet met their expectations of it based on their experience with the previous console, your reaction to it just seems ott. 

I know he didn't say that. I was saying that his original "justification" for wanting a wii u and not wanting a ps4 was, quite frankly, dumb. Just like it's dumb to say "ps4 has no games" or "wii u is for kids."

He was literally holding the wii u at a lower expectation because of it's weaker predecessor. He was holding the ps4 at a higher expectation because of its stronger predecessor. That's a double standard. I called him out on it. That's it.

I don't see any double standard there sorry. I don't need to justify a console, I buy it if it has games that I like. This thread was about pushing the wii u to its limits, and I only said that for me going from a wii to a wii u was more than enough to buy the console because it felt like an evolution, graphics-wise was a huge bump in quality and it offered new things such as the gamepad which is amazing for me (writing from it right now). 

I don't really get your point about holding the wii u at a lower expectation and the ps4 at a higher expectation. What does it even mean? xD Does it make any difference if the ps3 was stronger? Why? Because the ps3 was a beast that means that I shouldn't expect the ps4 to innovate or evolve as much as the wii u has innovated from the wii? I just expect that every new iteration of a product feels new and offers new possibilities otherwise I won't buy it. That's why I still have my Galaxy Note 1, because it still works fine and every new model feels the same, stronger but with some new marketable things that i just don't buy because I can do the same things with mine.

With consoles is different because new consoles always bring new games but until now not a single ps4 game has made me want to buy it, only FFXV, Dragon quest XI and Kindom Hearts 3, but they still aren't out so... Forgive for being dumb and not buying a ps4 when I wouldn't touch it and it would cover in dust so, so much that I would need four archaeologists to help me dig it up to play it when a game I like was out

Also, thanks for calling me dumb, it's the first time that someone calls me that here on vg, so it's kind of special haha. It was taking too long though... Can't hide my dumbness too well I guess haha :P

Nintendo's games wouldn't look "Miles better" on any other current gen console because Nintendo has stylized games. They aren't photorealistic. I mean, yes Mario Kart 8 is gorgeous but I'm not gonna be trying to compare it to Detroit or anything because they're totally different styles. Mario is looking as good as he's gonna look in MK8. What you want subsurface scattering and a high poly mesh on Mario's face or something? Nintendo's games look amazing on Wii U.

DonFerrari said:
Wyrdness said:
midrange said:

I have the ps3 and nothing has made me want to buy a ps4

comparing wii/ wii u the bump in quality is really noticeable so I bought it almost day one

Well if he can be satisfied by WiiU technical aspects what is the problem with PS4? If it's gaming prefference I would understand, but then it would make little sense the jump from PS3 to WiiU (and crazy enough both are closer on capabilities than PS4 to PS3).

I think that question was for me although I wasn't exactly quoted.

It's not everything about technical aspects. I buy consoles for games, but I just mentioned that I was impressed but how good the wii u games looked. I always have fun with Nintendo games, so I'll be there even if they don't look that good. 

My "problem" with the ps4 is that I really dislike first person shooters and sports games. I find them boring, just not for me. But then I love Zelda games, Mario games, Xenoblade, Pikmin, Kirby, Animal Crossing etc.

I like Nintendo aesthetics and approach in videogames. And everytime I bought a ps console was because of its games, but with the ps4 I don't see those games that I like.

I loved God of War 3, Castlevania LoS, Star ocean, Ni no kuni, so even if I like Nintendo more as a brand, I'm always there if playstation has my kind of games.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, and some of you got confused, I try to do my best but I haven't practiced english for quite a long time, so yeah, sorry if I don't explain myself well :P

Kennel83 said:
DonFerrari said:
Wyrdness said:

Well if he can be satisfied by WiiU technical aspects what is the problem with PS4? If it's gaming prefference I would understand, but then it would make little sense the jump from PS3 to WiiU (and crazy enough both are closer on capabilities than PS4 to PS3).

I think that question was for me although I wasn't exactly quoted.

It's not everything about technical aspects. I buy consoles for games, but I just mentioned that I was impressed but how good the wii u games looked. I always have fun with Nintendo games, so I'll be there even if they don't look that good. 

My "problem" with the ps4 is that I really dislike first person shooters and sports games. I find them boring, just not for me. But then I love Zelda games, Mario games, Xenoblade, Pikmin, Kirby, Animal Crossing etc.

I like Nintendo aesthetics and approach in videogames. And everytime I bought a ps console was because of its games, but with the ps4 I don't see those games that I like.

I loved God of War 3, Castlevania LoS, Star ocean, Ni no kuni, so even if I like Nintendo more as a brand, I'm always there if playstation has my kind of games.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, and some of you got confused, I try to do my best but I haven't practiced english for quite a long time, so yeah, sorry if I don't explain myself well :P

I see... it was just the way you put them. You have Nintendo prefference so you need less stymulus to get on WiiU while less type of games on PS make you want to buy it, so it doesn't have the critical mass for you to jump (but there is a lot of non-shooters very good for PS4 if you look). 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Kennel83 said:
midrange said:
Wyrdness said:

He didn't say PS4 has no games though or anything of the sort, to me his comment came across more as him or her saying that the PS4 has not yet met their expectations of it based on their experience with the previous console, your reaction to it just seems ott. 

I know he didn't say that. I was saying that his original "justification" for wanting a wii u and not wanting a ps4 was, quite frankly, dumb. Just like it's dumb to say "ps4 has no games" or "wii u is for kids."

He was literally holding the wii u at a lower expectation because of it's weaker predecessor. He was holding the ps4 at a higher expectation because of its stronger predecessor. That's a double standard. I called him out on it. That's it.

I don't see any double standard there sorry. I don't need to justify a console, I buy it if it has games that I like. This thread was about pushing the wii u to its limits, and I only said that for me going from a wii to a wii u was more than enough to buy the console because it felt like an evolution, graphics-wise was a huge bump in quality and it offered new things such as the gamepad which is amazing for me (writing from it right now). 

I don't really get your point about holding the wii u at a lower expectation and the ps4 at a higher expectation. What does it even mean? xD Does it make any difference if the ps3 was stronger? Why? Because the ps3 was a beast that means that I shouldn't expect the ps4 to innovate or evolve as much as the wii u has innovated from the wii? I just expect that every new iteration of a product feels new and offers new possibilities otherwise I won't buy it. That's why I still have my Galaxy Note 1, because it still works fine and every new model feels the same, stronger but with some new marketable things that i just don't buy because I can do the same things with mine.

With consoles is different because new consoles always bring new games but until now not a single ps4 game has made me want to buy it, only FFXV, Dragon quest XI and Kindom Hearts 3, but they still aren't out so... Forgive for being dumb and not buying a ps4 when I wouldn't touch it and it would cover in dust so, so much that I would need four archaeologists to help me dig it up to play it when a game I like was out

Also, thanks for calling me dumb, it's the first time that someone calls me that here on vg, so it's kind of special haha. It was taking too long though... Can't hide my dumbness too well I guess haha :P

1. I never called you dumb. I said the reasoning was dumb. I try to not make personal attacks, so I am sorry if I made a personal attack.

2. If you're reason for wanting a wii u was because you like the games more, that's great, no problem. But you said it was the technical jump that interested you. So I'm wondering why you look at the jump from wii to wii u but not the jump from the Wii to the ps4. Why do you instead look at the jump from PS3 to ps4

Bofferbrauer said:
Drakrami said:

Fast Facing Neo could pass as a ps4 game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqRE2E-ChM

I think, you meant ps3.

Maybe you should see what a ps4 game looks like before making silly comments like these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQFODsdGDU

After watching both videos, I didn't find Driveclub much more advanced visually. It's most impressive advantage is having much more foliage in the background (if you know how much power they can cost). However, the game couldn't hold a stable 30 fps if it's life depended on it, and the stuttering framerate is noticable througout almost the entire video, sometimes very strongly, too.

As a stuttering framerate is an absolute no-go for me in fast-paced games like racers, the visual prowess of Driveclub comes at way too much of a cost for me. If it had been slightly scaled down to Fast Racing Neo-like graphics it could have achieved a playable framerate, but as it stands it's just a slighly playable diashow slightly prettier than FRN.

There's something wrong with that 60fps video, or maybe it's my browser.
It stutters and looks way less than 30 fps. My own videos look perfectly smooth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j4zrsGEZjg

Too bad the ps4 only captures in 720p and you tube makes a big mess of it.
It looks great in real time and is perfectly stable at 30fps.

That video in the link up there runs at 15fps max in my browser even at 360p. Not sure what went wrong there.
Anyway you tube sucks for judging image quality. Plus the game engine throws in some nice little real-time fly overs at the start of each race.

Back on topic. I think Lego city undercover was pushing the Wii to its limits already. It might not always have a rock steady frame rate yet it's a big openworld with tons of detail, tons of moving elements, tons of destructible elements and no big glitches or crashes. The biggest crime this gen is that there is no Lego city undercover 2.

kristianity77 said:
Bofferbrauer said:

After watching both videos, I didn't find Driveclub much more advanced visually. It's most impressive advantage is having much more foliage in the background (if you know how much power they can cost). However, the game couldn't hold a stable 30 fps if it's life depended on it, and the stuttering framerate is noticable througout almost the entire video, sometimes very strongly, too.

As a stuttering framerate is an absolute no-go for me in fast-paced games like racers, the visual prowess of Driveclub comes at way too much of a cost for me. If it had been slightly scaled down to Fast Racing Neo-like graphics it could have achieved a playable framerate, but as it stands it's just a slighly playable diashow slightly prettier than FRN.

Sorry, you are totally and utterly wrong about Driveclub.  It holds 30FPS and does not waiver in any way shape or form.  Just because a Youtube video shows it, doesn't mean a thing because those stutters could have been born from anywhere.  They most certainly did not come from the PS4, its absolute rock steady.  

If you believe that not to be true, then you are welcome to point me to any analysis video which proves otherwise.

Ok, I stand corrected. I haven't played the game (really not my cup of tea) and had just that vid the guy I commented to posted as framing device, and since that one stuttered like hell I supposed that was due to the game, not due to crappy recording. After seeing SvennoJs Video I can see that in reality it runs much better than what the other video showed.

I still prefer when racers run at 60fps, but it's clear that FRN can't keep up in graphical therms with Driveclub

Lol this thread has gotten quite a lot of attention.