By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The sad state of Mario spin-off games this gen. <(T_T<)

Mario Kart - Awesome

Mario Party - Jank

Paper Mario - Garbage

Mario & Luigi - Solid

Mario Golf - DLC

Mario Tennis - Empty

Mario Strikers - Benched

Mario Baseball/Sluggers - MIA

Mario Hoops - One&Done?

Mario & Sonic - Was never that great, but eh, still.

Luigi's Mansion - Great but glitchy

Captain Toad - Good new spin-off

They're just spin-offs right so who cares? I care! Paper Mario and Mario Party was my first Nintendo games ever and were a big part of the reason why I finally started picking up Nintendo systems last gen. I've enjoyed pretty much all Mario spin-offs at one point (except golf lel), many of them moreso than the mainline games, so it pains me to have to look at this list. A combination of bonehead design choices, the struggle with HD development, the strain of supporting two systems, and Wii U massively underperforming are to blame. Hopefully Nintendo can rectify this next generation where they shouldn't have any of those issues, none except their own foolishness of course!

Around the Network

Just got here to say how awesome MK8 is but damn, you're completely right. I just hope paper jam is good.

Well, Splatoon was going to be a Mario spinoff too, but it ended up as its own Ip, probably for the best.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Paper Mario has 4 games. 2 were great, 1 was very good and the last was average but you deem it as garbage?

That's a depressing site.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

And considering I didn't like Mario Kart...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Gourmet said:
Just got here to say how awesome MK8 is but damn, you're completely right. I just hope paper jam is good.

According to what i seen so far,people are loving paper jam,so two for mario and luigi series

ehhhh

most Mario Party's and Mario sports games for the last generation or two have been fairly mediocre. the Mario Party games already started to suck arguably at the end of the Gamecube era and Mario Tennis / Mario Golf have always been games that have limited amount of content just due to their style and agenda

as long as there a good 3D Mario mainline games, good Smash games, good Mario Kart games- that's a priority. I enjoy Party and Tennis but obviously those are second or third tier (although they really need to stop making terribly Party games, go back to the old formula)

painmaster212 said:
Paper Mario has 4 games. 2 were great, 1 was very good and the last was average but you deem it as garbage?

I'm talking this gen only, 3DS and Wii U. Sticker Star is garbage yes. In short it's just a massively stripped down Paper Mario game with mechanics IS clearly didn't think through well enough.

I think people are a bit harsh on Mario Party 10, it really is a ton of fun. Bowser Party is the best thing in the entire series imo.