By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake is episodic

Makes sense. To remake the Final Fantasy VII story after its been fleshed out over a decade with sidegames and a movie that expanded the understanding of the story would take over a decade to accomplish.

Around the Network

When you think about how much this game costs to make though it only makes sense for them to reuse the assets which either means more games in the FFVII series or finding a way to make more then $60 off of each person... can only hope for the best I guess.

the-pi-guy said:
fatslob-:O said:

I'm bringing bs examples ? Argue what you will about each seperate games been complete on their own but that doesn't change the developers intent ... 

Matter of fact I didn't see anyone complaining about Half-Life 2 while we're at it ...

The episodes of Half Life 2 are sequels to Half Life 2.  

So it's a different situation.  

The situation here is (likely, since we don't know the full situation yet) that they are breaking the game into multiple smaller segments.  

This by itself is not bad, but it does bring up worry.

There are implementations of this that could be very good, while there are others that could be troubling.  

For example, remaking a 50$ game into a 6 part 30$ each collection is a bit troubling.  

Yes, it's remade, but why does it cost me 180$ to experience it?  

I wouldnt bother if they were ot make it 3 episodes, each episode being the content of one of the CDs of the original. However the time itd take btween each episode would be massive as theres a shitom of content on each CD, and Id likely just wait for the full thing. If its episodic in the same way of Life is Strange and Telltale games, than itll just suck.

To all of you responding to me, I ain't defending Square here like some mad fanatic ...

It's not the most ideal path Square may have taken in my eyes but I don't exactly see an issue with episodic games ...

AbbathTheGrim said:
One episode will be only about you climbing all those fucking stairs in the Shinra Building.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
Kowan said:
LuckyTrouble said:
Kowan said:
DakonBlackblade said:

The press-release says mult part series, not episodic. Mult part series could be Crisis Core, FF VII, Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children. The "each part its unique experience" bit makes this even more likely as you cant make FF VII any different from episode to episode cause itll always be the same system. Also the English press release is, most likely, still a translation, Japanese is very hard to translate. Can anyone who speak Japanese check the Japanese press release ?

Exactly. If it were episodic, then they would have said so. I hope they would clarify this soon.

The problem is, the very definition of a multi-part game at this point is an episodic experience. An episodic game is a game broken into multiple parts that form one complete product. This isn't just people misunderstanding. People are in general assuming a fairly accurate interpretation of the press release based on how we currently refer to various release models.

On the other hand FF7 IS already a multi-part series with its story spanning across prequels, sequels and spinoffs each offering a different kind of gameplay. That is also a very acurate interpretation of the press release.

The problem is, if this is what SE meant, why didn't they just say it? I mean, c'mon, it would have only built hype if they revealed that they would be releasing the main game and large DLC parts that explore the various prequels and side stories that make up FF7. They wouldn't have been this vague unless they feared backlash from use of the word "episodic" and wanted to gauge reactions.

Because those are whole new games on its own. I doubt Square would announce something like that so early. So they tease. That's what studios do when creating a franchise. Anyway, all these speculations are just pretty much that, speculations(And I'm talking about this episodic theory and my own theory). Let's just wait for Square to clear this up. From the backlash they got from FF14, I doubt they would risk it, specially with a beloved series such as FF7.

BasilZero said:

Episode 4 will be Sephiroth's Nova attack!

Episode 5: Tifa's bouncing magoombas

LuckyTrouble said:

Probably because Half-Life 2 is a decade old, is a super linear FPS, and wasn't remade from what was once originally a complete game sold all at one time.

Who the hell is to complain when we have yet to figure out the price and who the hell cares if a game is linear or not ? 

We can continue to bitch all day about FF VII having an episodic release but guess what ?! We have an option to defer our purchase!

Aaaaaaaand the small amount of interest for me generated by the trailer is gone.

I think the most disappointing thought I have for all of this is thinking I will have to wait to continue playing once I finish an episode.

Waiting for all the episodes to release and have the game complete feels like the way to go.