By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake is episodic

fatslob-:O said:
DakonBlackblade said:

I think Sony owns the publishing rights for the original FF VII, I might be wrong tough.

The only thing they own about FF VII is the original PS1 english translation ... 

Again Im not 100% sure but I believe the publishing rigths on Europe and America is owned by Sony, the IP is Square, Japanese publishing is Square, but Europe and America isnt. This is similar to the Incredible Hulk Universal deal that screws Marvel from making solo Hulk movies, the publishing rights of the characters solo movies isnt Marvels altough the character itself is, on this case since the IP is Squares they can make new games, remakes or whatever and publish themselves, but the original FFVII has this little problem.

Around the Network
Kowan said:
DakonBlackblade said:

The press-release says mult part series, not episodic. Mult part series could be Crisis Core, FF VII, Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children. The "each part its unique experience" bit makes this even more likely as you cant make FF VII any different from episode to episode cause itll always be the same system. Also the English press release is, most likely, still a translation, Japanese is very hard to translate. Can anyone who speak Japanese check the Japanese press release ?

Exactly. If it were episodic, then they would have said so. I hope they would clarify this soon.

The problem is, the very definition of a multi-part game at this point is an episodic experience. An episodic game is a game broken into multiple parts that form one complete product. This isn't just people misunderstanding. People are in general assuming a fairly accurate interpretation of the press release based on how we currently refer to various release models.

LuckyTrouble said:

You know those were not episodic in the same sense as current episodic games. Don't bring in bs examples and think you're being clever. Xenosaga may have referred to each game as an episode, but they were each full games in their own right that just happened to act as direct sequels to one another. Not every game with a sequel is episodic, which people seem to be experts at confusing all of a sudden.

I'm bringing bs examples ? Argue what you will about each seperate games been complete on their own but that doesn't change the developers intent ... 

Matter of fact I didn't see anyone complaining about Half-Life 2 while we're at it ...

LuckyTrouble said:

The problem is, the very definition of a multi-part game at this point is an episodic experience. An episodic game is a game broken into multiple parts that form one complete product. This isn't just people misunderstanding. People are in general assuming a fairly accurate interpretation of the press release based on how we currently refer to various release models.

Well ppl generaly says its episodic when its gona be episodic and not multi-part series. If the game does turn out to be episodic than itll suck cause theres no way in hell it wont be 1: super linear and 2: hella short.

DakonBlackblade said:
LuckyTrouble said:

Well ppl generaly says its episodic when its gona be episodic and not multi-part series. If the game does turn out to be episodic than itll suck cause theres no way in hell it wont be 1: super linear and 2: hella short.

On the positive side, we should only be in the dark for so long. I'm sure basically every news site with a Square Enix contact has reached out for details regarding the press release. I guess it depends on if Square Enix responds at all lol

Around the Network

Can you say hyped

LuckyTrouble said:
Kowan said:
DakonBlackblade said:

The press-release says mult part series, not episodic. Mult part series could be Crisis Core, FF VII, Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children. The "each part its unique experience" bit makes this even more likely as you cant make FF VII any different from episode to episode cause itll always be the same system. Also the English press release is, most likely, still a translation, Japanese is very hard to translate. Can anyone who speak Japanese check the Japanese press release ?

Exactly. If it were episodic, then they would have said so. I hope they would clarify this soon.

On the other hand FF7 IS already a multi-part series with its story spanning across prequels, sequels and spinoffs each offering a different kind of gameplay. That is also a very acurate interpretation of the press release.

fatslob-:O said:
LuckyTrouble said:

You know those were not episodic in the same sense as current episodic games. Don't bring in bs examples and think you're being clever. Xenosaga may have referred to each game as an episode, but they were each full games in their own right that just happened to act as direct sequels to one another. Not every game with a sequel is episodic, which people seem to be experts at confusing all of a sudden.

I'm bringing bs examples ? Argue what you will about each seperate games been complete on their own but that doesn't change the developers intent ... 

Matter of fact I didn't see anyone complaining about Half-Life 2 while we're at it ...

Probably because Half-Life 2 is a decade old, is a super linear FPS, and wasn't remade from what was once originally a complete game sold all at one time.

Kowan said:
LuckyTrouble said:
Kowan said:
DakonBlackblade said:

On the other hand FF7 IS already a multi-part series with its story spanning across prequels, sequels and spinoffs each offering a different kind of gameplay. That is also a very acurate interpretation of the press release.

The problem is, if this is what SE meant, why didn't they just say it? I mean, c'mon, it would have only built hype if they revealed that they would be releasing the main game and large DLC parts that explore the various prequels and side stories that make up FF7. They wouldn't have been this vague unless they feared backlash from use of the word "episodic" and wanted to gauge reactions.

Kowan said:

Ye but if thats realy what they mean itll be awesome, I agree, but it also sounds way too far fetched cause thatd mean 4 games to remake and a movie to turn into a game wich sounds liek ages of work.