By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will a collaboration with Kojima be announced at PlayStation Experience?

Tagged games:

Kojima at PSX?

Absolutely! 7 11.67%

Probably 9 15.00%

50/50 17 28.33%

There's a slight possibility 15 25.00%

No way! 12 20.00%

Total:60
JMD said:

This would be so favourable a scenario for Sony that it seems too good to be true lol. It's funny how if you look at sport as an example. If an NFL coach of Kojima's equal standing got sacked, clubs would be trying to snatch him up straight away. So the question is, has Kojima made a deal with a platform holder, a 3rd party publisher or is he starting an indie studio. Or is he retiring as he often says he is (I doubt this as he probably feels like he wants to retire on his own terms).

Quite frankly I think Kojima is a little bit of a risk to contract. Probably a risk worth taking, but Kojima does seem like a little bit of a diva. Huge fan and I've played every Metal Gear game there is and consider MGS3 to be a Top 5 game ever to be made - but from what I'm reading, it seems like MGS5 was not even be profitable based on how absurdly big his vision for the game was. There's nothing wrong with having a big vision and wanting to innovate, but you have to innovate and develop within the constraints of your budget and it seems like Kojima exceeded that budget. They then had to supplement what became Ground Zeroes in order to cover the development costs. The point I'm getting is that this guy could be a problem child for anyone that contracts him, and again, I love Kojima and love his games. Like I'm just looking at it pragmatically. He knew at some point in his development of the game that he was exceeding the budget and basically didn't really care. Everything I've read suggests that 5 million units of MGS5 sold is not profitable.

That's a very good point and I have thought the same thing. That's why I wrote that only Sony and few others could afford Kojima's budgets. That said, part of me hopes that this collaboration won't happen because of the huge money sink that is Kojima (and for that reason I don't blame Konami entirely for what happened between them). Could it be worth it? We don't know. 

Around the Network

Sony and Kojima would be an great combination!

JMD said:

This would be so favourable a scenario for Sony that it seems too good to be true lol. It's funny how if you look at sport as an example. If an NFL coach of Kojima's equal standing got sacked, clubs would be trying to snatch him up straight away. So the question is, has Kojima made a deal with a platform holder, a 3rd party publisher or is he starting an indie studio. Or is he retiring as he often says he is (I doubt this as he probably feels like he wants to retire on his own terms).

Quite frankly I think Kojima is a little bit of a risk to contract. Probably a risk worth taking, but Kojima does seem like a little bit of a diva. Huge fan and I've played every Metal Gear game there is and consider MGS3 to be a Top 5 game ever to be made - but from what I'm reading, it seems like MGS5 was not even be profitable based on how absurdly big his vision for the game was. There's nothing wrong with having a big vision and wanting to innovate, but you have to innovate and develop within the constraints of your budget and it seems like Kojima exceeded that budget. They then had to supplement what became Ground Zeroes in order to cover the development costs. The point I'm getting is that this guy could be a problem child for anyone that contracts him, and again, I love Kojima and love his games. Like I'm just looking at it pragmatically. He knew at some point in his development of the game that he was exceeding the budget and basically didn't really care. Everything I've read suggests that 5 million units of MGS5 sold is not profitable.

MGSV was higly profitable for Konami.On its launch day it made 179 Million Globaly.In just 1 day lol.And that dosnt count Ground Zeroes, since they are pratically only one game.So while yes, Kojima is expensive, he is worth any risk in my opinion

http://www.destructoid.com/metal-gear-solid-v-s-opening-day-beats-jurassic-world-avengers-combined-315459.phtml

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
JMD said:

MGSV was higly profitable for Konami.On its launch day it made 179 Million Globaly.In just 1 day lol.And that dosnt count Ground Zeroes, since they are pratically only one game.So while yes, Kojima is expensive, he is worth any risk in my opinion

http://www.destructoid.com/metal-gear-solid-v-s-opening-day-beats-jurassic-world-avengers-combined-315459.phtml

Yes, but because it is called Metal Gear. A new project wouldn't make the same amount of money.

Nautilus said:
JMD said:

That article is pretty vague in covering this story. For starters, I don't think thats how much money Konami actually receives. They've just listed the amount of money MGS5 has generated, not how much of it Konami get. According to this article, Konami receive less than 50% of the money of each game after the console and gamestores and etc. have taken their cut. Here's a couple of links discussing it. If this article is correct, you can instantly slash that 179 million number in half.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/09/06/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-sells-3-million-units-but-its-not-out-of-the-woods-yet/

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/mgsvs-struggle-to-profit-shows-why-konami-is-moving-away-from-aaa-development

The other thing is that development costs listed in your article do not include the advertising budget. It just states the $80 million development budget. However as an example, Squaresoft spent $45 million on developing FF7 and $100 million dollars on advertising for FF7 so it can be really expensive. If we saw a ratio for MGS5 that is anything like the ratio I just put up for FF7, MGS5 couldn't possibly be profitable. I will give you the fact however that GZ would've made some money. I have no idea how much, perhaps 10-15 million. But yeah it would be helpful to know how much of that $179 goes to Konami.

Fortune favours the bold.

Around the Network
Risthel said:
Nautilus said:

Yes, but because it is called Metal Gear. A new project wouldn't make the same amount of money.

Well, Kojimas names alone would bring much attetion to its game and faith on its quality.But yeah, it could also fail or not do as expected

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

The guy is only released from Konami this December so it's a bit soon. He would need a few months to put things in place and by the time PSX next year rolls around he'd have done some early development.

So I say yes there's a possibility but an announcement at PSX next year is more likely.

maybe who knows

Well they better announce TLG2 early before it comes ouit in 7 years.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.