By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - News: Wii U Named as "The Top Selling Item on Target.com" In Black Friday Sales

Sweet! Nice to hear good news for Ninten : D

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I work at the biggest target in country. The reason why Wii U has that online position is because in store Wii U has been reduced to a 2 4 foot sections - accessories and console/games.

PS4/XBOX, which are both entire sections, are the opposite way - We want that In store. We try to have as many as possible.

I worked B friday. Did not sell one nintendo product, no 3ds, not even a Amiibo.

For me B friday was living proof. Kids dont want handhelds, they dont want nintendo consoles. They not starting off with sonic,Mega man, mario, pokemon. These kids want halo, fallout 4, bloodbourne, uncharted, tombraider, cods,batman. They like 12-14, but those are what primarily was bought

MS was smart, that 60 buck gift with X1 purchase was given ps4 a run for its money

Ninty should've been alot more aggressive with sales and advertising for the Wii U over the past year. Unfortunately this is too little too late, and all the talk of the NX over the past several months along with the Zelda delay has pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

noname2200 said:
ZhugeEX said:
This doesn't mean anything when:

1. The main PS4 & XB1 bundles had limited stock online @ Target.com and therefore were sold out early whilst Wii U was allocated higher stock level
2. Target accounts for less than 15% of the total market for Video Game sales in the U.S.
3. Target.com accounts for less than 5% of all sales from Target.com and Target Retail.

Shhhh, shhh, it's okay, it's okay, your console is still winning, shhh.....

Never leave again.

Signature goes here!

Though it doesn't mean a whole lot to the final results of Black Friday, I'm sure it means something to Nintendo. I hope they get a fair share of Black Friday sales.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
ZhugeEX said:
This doesn't mean anything when:

1. The main PS4 & XB1 bundles had limited stock online @ Target.com and therefore were sold out early whilst Wii U was allocated higher stock level
2. Target accounts for less than 15% of the total market for Video Game sales in the U.S.
3. Target.com accounts for less than 5% of all sales from Target.com and Target Retail.

Shhhh, shhh, it's okay, it's okay, your console is still winning, shhh.....

'your console'?

Follow zhuge on twitter, you'll realise he is a pretty good analyst and backs up pretty much everything with sources.

There is one very big factor missing from this information.

Pick up in store was cancelled for the PS4 and Xbox One for black Friday, but not the Wii U.

This is important because it means that someone could go online and buy a Wii U out of the stock from there local Target and then pick it up later. Using my store as an example, we had about 50 Wii U bundles, and 35 of them went to people who bought them online. That means tha just from my store, there were 35 Wii U sales that were counted as Target.com sales. Compare that to the 75 Xbox Ones, and 120 PS4s we sold, none of which counted towards Target.com.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

sc94597 said:
ZhugeEx said:

However, as pointed out there was less stock for PS4 & XB1 online and more allocated in store. 

I have seen you mention this multiple times. Can you substantiate this claim with a source or evidence?

I can, read my other post.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Any small feat for Wii U is to be celebrated.

Normchacho said:
There is one very big factor missing from this information.

Pick up in store was cancelled for the PS4 and Xbox One for black Friday, but not the Wii U.

This is important because it means that someone could go online and buy a Wii U out of the stock from there local Target and then pick it up later. Using my store as an example, we had about 50 Wii U bundles, and 35 of them went to people who bought them online. That means tha just from my store, there were 35 Wii U sales that were counted as Target.com sales. Compare that to the 75 Xbox Ones, and 120 PS4s we sold, none of which counted towards Target.com.

Bingo. Exactly the case. The reason why has a big online section is because it has vey little in store space as opposed to the other 2. 

Is that your exact numbers for PS4 and X1? Haven't seen my mine, but it felt like they were selling at a similar pace