By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 4 Discussions, Settlement building, Screenshots

Fallout 4 Settlements

Great extra 54 65.85%

Rather pointless 18 21.95%

Not interested in Settlements 8 9.76%

Total:80
SvennoJ said:

I went back to Castle to fix the wall with foundation blocks like this

That's not mine, got it from here http://www.gamesradar.com/best-fallout-4-settlements/ There are some more fun ideas in there.
I managed to fix the corner a bit better, planted a big garden in the middle and set up bunks and a mess hall inside. Then I ran out of steel again.

I made the mistake of letting McReady carry my stack of grenades etc. The idiot keeps throwing them at my feet when I'm fighting in cllose quarters. First I didn't realize it was him, yet dogs do not carry grenades... For a character so concerned about money he sure likes to waste expensive grenades. He gave me a mission to kill 2 people at a high overpass intersection. I didn't spot the elevator, so went the long way around with some platform jumping which meant McReady got stuck. I had to guide him down the overpass again afterwards.

And I finally went to Diamond city. Nice place with a lot of people to talk to. I screwed up the jail escape though and ended up having to kill all the guards to get back out :/ I better lay low for a while. Lots of new quests to do. I found the lamps catalog btw, from one of the quests in Diamond city. And Piper, yet I had to flee the city before I got around to visiting her office.

This game is huge, according to my save file I'm already 4 days and 20 hours in. 152 game days, just shy of 4000 objects build, lvl 46, main quests finished: 1 lol.

I fixed one wall with concrete blocks but left the big hole for ease of entry/exit.  I built a bridge over it with missle launchers, though, so I'm comfortable with security on that side.

Grabbed Mirelurk Construction and Spectacle Island for settlements.  Both had Mirelurk Queens.  I learned that Gauss Rifles with 285 damage are superior to Mirelurk Queens (from a distance).  Gave me the "Harder They Fall" achievement for killing 5 giant creatures, yay.  3 Queens and 2 Behemoths.

Added the lighthouse after slaughtering the Children of Atom.  Can't be many left.

Construction has begun on Keizoku City (named after one of my favorite series, Keizoku 2: SPEC) on Spec Island.

Other than the foundation, only the housing area for the peons is near finished.  Finally, I can build a proper pier.  Of course, the supports don't reach the bottom but out of sight, out of mind.

Around the Network

SvennoJ, you're a fantastic architect. Very inspiring thread.

But how do you get all those settlers to simultaneously gather at night in that Hotel lobby?

Slimebeast said:
SvennoJ, you're a fantastic architect. Very inspiring thread.

But how do you get all those settlers to simultaneously gather at night in that Hotel lobby?

By accident I guess. It was the last place I filled with tables, chairs, couches and a bar for a long time. I guess the game favors that as the gathering point.
I recently finished the cafeteria area above my bazaar with a couple tables and new bar and directly after they were all trying to crowd up there. I couldn't get down the stairs anymore, mobbed. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get them back in the hotel :/ I remodelled the lobby, new bar, new food/drink stall, pool table. Hopefully they'll come back!

pokoko said:

I fixed one wall with concrete blocks but left the big hole for ease of entry/exit.  I built a bridge over it with missle launchers, though, so I'm comfortable with security on that side.

Grabbed Mirelurk Construction and Spectacle Island for settlements.  Both had Mirelurk Queens.  I learned that Gauss Rifles with 285 damage are superior to Mirelurk Queens (from a distance).  Gave me the "Harder They Fall" achievement for killing 5 giant creatures, yay.  3 Queens and 2 Behemoths.

Added the lighthouse after slaughtering the Children of Atom.  Can't be many left.

Construction has begun on Keizoku City (named after one of my favorite series, Keizoku 2: SPEC) on Spec Island.

Other than the foundation, only the housing area for the peons is near finished.  Finally, I can build a proper pier.  Of course, the supports don't reach the bottom but out of sight, out of mind.

That looks like a great place to build :) Great name and great pier.
I added another level and an attic to my Starlight drive-in building yet ran out of steel again before I could finish it. Luckily a merchanct in DC sells 4x100 shipments of steel. All my poor people have to sleep on the floor in sleeping bags.

MacReady finally started talking to me and gave me another place to go to. Meanwhile Hancock (mayor or Goodneighboor) has become available as a companion too. He might be more fun than MacReady. Anybody might be more fun. MacReady is more effective without ammo btw, he does more damage with the other end of a weapon :/ Oh well, I'll help him one more time, then head back to DC. I hope the cops have forgotten about my botched prison escape attempt. I didn't leave anyone to tell the tale yet they instantly knew outside. Damn clairvoyent npcs.

And yes I have to walk around the fort now when I fall off. Or pick up a block and glitch through :) I'm afraid of using missile launchers. They're more likely to hit my own settlers the way this game works.

spurgeonryan said:
No wonder Svenno J is not making MM levels anymore, he is too busy making Fallout 4 levels! ;)

Is this available for the PS3, because I have a PSTV.

Yup, new building game!

Not available for ps3, it hardly runs on ps4 :p
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-fallout-4-is-not-coming-to-playstation-3-or-xbox-360

Can you build towers (vertical levels) yet in Mario maker?

Around the Network

I both love and hate the settlement system right now. I wish it felt a bit more lively, because all the effort feels moot at times. I'm on console so I don't believe there's a way to get more than 20, unless I've been lied to my whole life about the population cap.

That said, I've gone all out in some places. Sanctuary is starting to evolve for me; it was just a basic settlement surrounded by full concrete walls with a well-guarded turret on the bridge entrance, but I've expanded my shitty little barracks into a 3+ (still working) community hub with a bar on the second floor being overlooked by a balcony third floor. No clue for the unfinished fourth floor yet. What sucks is the concrete wall isn't technically lined up correctly at the bridge and you can't lock objects to a set height/skew, so the entrance clearly has some overlap issues that would just take too long to fix. (I used concrete foundation as my walls because it looked intimidating compared to anything else.) My proudest area is Spectacle Island which has a somewhat finished 7-Story tower as the main hub. Sadly it's a pain to get population there and it's impossible to currently send a caravan between it and the land-based settlements because your caravan dies of rad poisoning during the swim (lol). So the first 3/5 of it was built 100% out of the wood and steel found on the island itself. I'd share pics but I'm on mobile at the moment.

I can't wait for them to patch and optimize the height and population caps. It'll feel a little bit more enjoyable to make the settlements then for reasons other than because I want it to look nice. Anybody have any idea how to make some things look less shitty though? Like I have one settlement (forget the name) that's just half of a house and the surrounding twenty feet near Cambridge, and to make space I built an area above it. Due to the aforementioned height lock issue, this is now just a huge floating platform above the house connected only by stairs to the ground, and it looks ugly. The only bet I've found right now is using wired to make pseudo-tension cables, but I've seen areas that clearly use the in-game creator that have things connected by wooden pillars, and that'd be nice to have. I'm thinking maybe I just didn't grab that magazine yet?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Focusing most of my efforts on Spectacle Island, though I keep running out of steel, wood and copper and have to make adventuring runs SPECIFICALLY to gather those resources. x3 Given I've explored almost every location in the game by now, it's started to feel a biiiit more like a slog. Don't have anything as fantastic as the OP's right now- full props, that stuff looks amazing, o.o - but I have a series of fairly modest structures, consisting of a storage shed, a two story domicile (complete with beds on the first floor, and a fully furnished dining area/common room on the second, with a rooftop patio bar- four different shops (being insane, I spent an hour caaarefully placing items on the shelves in my stores,) an infirmary, a private domicile with a lakeside view, (I used bridges to deliberately make NPC pathing all but impossible, so they literally never wander inside,) and a workshop complete with all crafting tables and a row of four sets of power armor, illuminated with some high-tech lighting. :3

I'll take screenshots at some point, though probably not til I've had more time to work on it. Seeing OP's stuff has inspired me to push the boundaries!

Only major downsides thus far is I find some of the piece-fitting finnicky, and the NPCs are just REALLY dumb. 23 of them so far, and half of them just sort of stand in the middle of nowhere, and they keep unassigning themselves from the roles I put them in. -_-

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

DivinePaladin said:
I both love and hate the settlement system right now. I wish it felt a bit more lively, because all the effort feels moot at times. I'm on console so I don't believe there's a way to get more than 20, unless I've been lied to my whole life about the population cap.

I'm on console too. The population cap depends on your charisma. With cha bonusses on my armor I currently have 24 cha, allows for 25 people per settlement. I can temporarily increase it with grape mentats and Gwyneth stout so I can send more people over, yet it seems they bleed away again over time to match my charisma. The more the merrier isn't really true here, it seems impossible to get the happiness over 83 in my version of Sanctuary. Plus the pathing can get annoying since they can push you, but you can't push them out of the way. They had me stuck in my cafeteria for a while when they all came checking out the new bar.

I don't know about the wooden pillars. But you can place things into other things when you pick everything up by the foundation block. It's hard to do though. For example it took me over an hour to fix the walls at castle and get it all nice and flush. Place a bunch of concrete blocks first, move it into position bit by bit. Save first, since there is no undo and when it gets too close to existing stuff it will grab that up the next time as well.

For interiors, use little rugs to move things into position. Place it on a rug first, then pick upn the rug to put it where you want. For example my new bar at Starlight has 3 bar table elements and 2 food stalls mixed together

Normally you can remove the rugs after, but here I had to leave them. The object sinks a little and in this case the food stall sticks through the top after. Btw the game doesn't realize they're inside and gives everyone a wet look as soon as it starts raining lol.

The editor could use a lot of improvement. I've seen shots online of people with full magazine racks, shelves full with bottles etc. It already took me half an hour to get these damn pool balls on the table.

I had to remove the lamps and the upper floor, stand on top and place them one by one. You can't pick the up in edit mode as they'll sink halfway into the table, ugh. That was enough of that, they can find their own pool cue lol.

Is 7 stories the height limit on Spectacle island? I've got a tower structure planned for there, haven't found it yet though, and I need more steel first.

Zanten said:

I'll take screenshots at some point, though probably not til I've had more time to work on it. Seeing OP's stuff has inspired me to push the boundaries!

Only major downsides thus far is I find some of the piece-fitting finnicky, and the NPCs are just REALLY dumb. 23 of them so far, and half of them just sort of stand in the middle of nowhere, and they keep unassigning themselves from the roles I put them in. -_-

Would love to see those screenshots :) I need to focus on the game part a bit, so much to discover still. I have only found about 12 settlements so far. And yes those npcs love to stand around and complain about the lack of food with fields of corn and tomatos right in front of them...

Any clue if the size limit varies by location? After completing this I already ran into the limit while furnishing the inside.

I used the glitch again to finish it, but since my version of Sanctuary barely reaches 20fps anymore I'm kinda hesitant to break the game even further.

DivinePaladin said:

That said, I've gone all out in some places. Sanctuary is starting to evolve for me; it was just a basic settlement surrounded by full concrete walls with a well-guarded turret on the bridge entrance, but I've expanded my shitty little barracks into a 3+ (still working) community hub with a bar on the second floor being overlooked by a balcony third floor. No clue for the unfinished fourth floor yet. What sucks is the concrete wall isn't technically lined up correctly at the bridge and you can't lock objects to a set height/skew, so the entrance clearly has some overlap issues that would just take too long to fix. (I used concrete foundation as my walls because it looked intimidating compared to anything else.) My proudest area is Spectacle Island which has a somewhat finished 7-Story tower as the main hub. Sadly it's a pain to get population there and it's impossible to currently send a caravan between it and the land-based settlements because your caravan dies of rad poisoning during the swim (lol). So the first 3/5 of it was built 100% out of the wood and steel found on the island itself. I'd share pics but I'm on mobile at the moment.

I can't wait for them to patch and optimize the height and population caps. It'll feel a little bit more enjoyable to make the settlements then for reasons other than because I want it to look nice. Anybody have any idea how to make some things look less shitty though? Like I have one settlement (forget the name) that's just half of a house and the surrounding twenty feet near Cambridge, and to make space I built an area above it. Due to the aforementioned height lock issue, this is now just a huge floating platform above the house connected only by stairs to the ground, and it looks ugly. The only bet I've found right now is using wired to make pseudo-tension cables, but I've seen areas that clearly use the in-game creator that have things connected by wooden pillars, and that'd be nice to have. I'm thinking maybe I just didn't grab that magazine yet?

Send a ghoul.  My Spectacle Island is linked just fine.  It took awhile but she got there.