By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 SDK Update Unlocked 7th CPU Core For Gaming

Ruler said:
werent the xbox be able to go from 720 to 900p after they did similiar things? Maybe it will give a huge performance boost to realize 60fps for some games

They were not similar but totally different. And no, it won't be a huge performance boost.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
DonFerrari said:
Perhaps upclock as well?

Doubtful. While we don't know how much more heat it creates, I think Sony's design is built specifically for the thermal design the PS4 currently has. Such an upclock would also mean that you upclock old consoles which can already get really loud when running at 1.6 GHz so I guess there is not much space for more heat.

Upclocks are problemativ with power consumption as well. If you keep the Vcore a 10% upclock might already need more than 10% more.

If you need a higher Vcore you can easily end at 20%+ higher energy consumption for the CPU. So more work for the PSU, more work for the cooling and some CPU's might not even run stable at that core clock.

That is why MS decided to check higher clockrates before Xbox One release. And even they only clocked slightly higher, though every MHz especially on the GPU would have helped reduce the gap.

captain carot said:
walsufnir said:

Doubtful. While we don't know how much more heat it creates, I think Sony's design is built specifically for the thermal design the PS4 currently has. Such an upclock would also mean that you upclock old consoles which can already get really loud when running at 1.6 GHz so I guess there is not much space for more heat.

Upclocks are problemativ with power consumption as well. If you keep the Vcore a 10% upclock might already need more than 10% more.

If you need a higher Vcore you can easily end at 20%+ higher energy consumption for the CPU. So more work for the PSU, more work for the cooling and some CPU's might not even run stable at that core clock.

That is why MS decided to check higher clockrates before Xbox One release. And even they only clocked slightly higher, though every MHz especially on the GPU would have helped reduce the gap.

Actually MS alos increased the frequency of the GPU but it's only about 6%.

I know. Just didn't mention it. But if they went only for 900-950MHz the gap would have decreased quite ab it. Totally closing up would've needed 1200MHz though.

Now the 856MHz they clocked up didn't hurt yield rates, cooling or power consumption as it seems. Smart guess, that was possible with the intended Vcore, so power consumption wans't that much of a problem.
Going for 900MHz might already have needed a higher Vcore, way lower yield, more heat...

Sony now has the problem that clocking up CPU's might not work on millions of sold consoles. Even if it works for 80% you'd have millions of pissed consumers.

Same goes for MS. Future revisions could in theory close the gap. But millions of old consoles would emulate an electric grill for a very short time and than start emulating a clunky door stopper.

walsufnir said:
DonFerrari said:
Perhaps upclock as well?

Agree with you that it's quite doubtful and could result in several problems... but it isn't impossible, as they could as well been doing simulations all this time and see possibility to raise GPU or CPU clock without problems.

Of course they could also do that on the revisions, but unless it is to give more speed for UI or other non-gaming related stuff it would have a big backlash from current users, and if it don't affect games then it isn't really relevant.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Ruler said:
werent the xbox be able to go from 720 to 900p after they did similiar things? Maybe it will give a huge performance boost to realize 60fps for some games

They were not similar but totally different. And no, it won't be a huge performance boost.

How do you know? its a fact that the cpu is the weakest part of the ps4, so a huge bottleneck should be lifted with an extra core

Ruler said:
walsufnir said:

How do you know? its a fact that the cpu is the weakest part of the ps4, so a huge bottleneck should be lifted with an extra core

Going by a famous member on this forum, the PS4 doesn't have any bottlenock. At all.

walsufnir said:
Ruler said:

Going by a famous member on this forum, the PS4 doesn't have any bottlenock. At all.

Is Mark Cerny here?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

walsufnir said:
Ruler said:

Every piece of hardware has a bottleneck somewhere, just some have less than others

ps4 probl is now better then most gaming pcs. Nice.