By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft hires former Nintendo Boss for Mass-Market/Casual Push

Via MCV:

Microsoft has pulled off a major coup by luring former I-Play CEO and MD of Nintendo Europe David Gosen to its management team, MCV can reveal. The new VP of strategic marketing within Microsoft’s interactive entertainment business in Europe joins a newly-promoted Chris Lewis to further drive Xbox 360’s expansion into wider markets. Reporting to Lewis, Gosen’s remit will focus on nailing the mass market – an element of Microsoft’s strategy that went a step further this week after a round of Xbox 360 price cuts. “I’m very excited to be part of Microsoft IEB at this key stage in the gaming industry,” said Gosen. “Xbox 360 is now a mass-market gaming console, and with the recent price reduction we’re poised to open the market for Xbox 360 even wider. The content portfolio goes from strength to strength and is providing compelling experiences for a broader audience, and the titles we have coming up are massively appealing. “Meanwhile, Xbox Live continues to set the standards for online gaming and community – it is the first unified online entertainment network seamlessly integrated throughout the entire console experience, making it easy for consumers to find the friends, games and entertainment they want. I’m very much looking forward to joining the the Microsoft IEB team and inviting more and more people into the world of Xbox.”
Good news for MS. Maybe bad news for Nintendo?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

BTW, for those that don't know: David Gosen was the former Managing Director (ie, head of) Nintendo Europe, before he became the COO, and then CEO of Mobile Games provider I-Play.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I guess it's good news...

Zomg... do they really need to hire someone new??

Its not that hard
- Lower price
$179 for arcade is a good start

- (good) Casual Games
Push the scene It! game line, develop more games that use those remotes. The first I would pick up would be "You Don't Know Jack" who btw are looking for a console maker to partner up with

I had 3 other couples playing Scene It! months ago, two of them purchased a 360 within a month (where in Canada.. apparently everyone here has a 360)

- Marketing/Advertising
Once you have those games, let the people know... get the message out.
Get an open booth concept in a mall with 4 couches where people can sit down and play those games.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I think the move is kinda stupid. They'll never pull in the 'complete' casuals... like the 65 year old retirees who bought Wii for bowling and golf (I know a few. Nice ol' gents, but you'll never see them playing Halo). It depends on how they try play this casual strategy without hurting their fragile status as top dog in hardcore gaming. The Wii strategy is entirely different, and this is too much of a "hey me too!" that always gets ignored.

Now, if they can convince the casuals that Xbox Live is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and it is pretty awesome), they could addict all kinds of old people and casual gamers into ponying up 50 bucks a year to play poker smash and chess

Around the Network

Good luck MS.

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

The reality is that most of the critical decisions that are made by Nintendo are made in Japan, and their European and North American divisions are primarily focused on marketing that targets the region. Nintendo's marketing has never been particularly great, and they have never really captured Europe's attention through their marketing, so I'm not sure how great this is for Microsoft.

Phew! I thought you were talking about Microsoft hiring Hiroshi Yamauchi! But he would never betray his country by working for an american company :P

Microsoft said they were getting serious. Now they look to be planning to diversify their presentation to the public. Should be interesting to see the two concepts in concert. I am just curious as to what games and features will receive the casual presentation.

Lets twist this a little which upcoming major titles for the 360 in Europe could work with a casual presentation. I think perhaps Fable could get the treatment, and possibly Banjo Kazooie.

I wonder if this has to do with losing Peter Moore?  sure they are not in the same position but still.