By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bought FF Type 0 finally

FF is my favourite game series and I've beaten every numbered game - and yet I cannot bring myself to buy this game. It was even as low as 21$ recently and I still didn't want to buy it lol. The game just looks really unfun to play from all the gameplay demos I've seen. Part of me thinks it's worth 21$ to just see for myself but I'd rather wait for the game's sequel (which has been announced) which would hopefully advance on many of the ideas in this game and polish out the graphics, shitty voice acting and clunky controls.

The biggest turn off for me is that the game is clearly designed around portable play, and yet it is not a portable game on PS4. So basically to play it on the couch at home, you'd be going through a series of small bitesized missions (which would work great for Vita) instead of doing an epic quest like a typical FF game.

I hope people enjoy it though because with the internal battle in Square Enix right now being between hardcore RPGs and mainstream RPGs, this appears to be the former - and any victory for that side of the company makes me happy.

Fortune favours the bold.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

HOLY SMOKES :O

My local best buy had three copies of the day one edition for Final Fantasy Type-0 HD :D

Thanks to that  - I now have the demo ^__^

How did you get the demo?  I have the day one edition too, but nothing like a code inside of it.  

I can understand some of the gripes people are having, but I definitely like the style of game design in its simplicity.  The combat system needs some work with its kill sight and yellow critical sight mechanics.

There aren't many games like this out there on console so I'm kind of just glad this game exists.  It was sort of the situation I had with Other M.  There isn't another 3D 2D style metroid game out there so I'll take what I can get.

It's lighthearted and simple with its presentation of missions, but there are plenty of useful choices to be had throughout each mission and when you're on campus.

It's a game design from an older era.

Lube Me Up

I bought this on Black Friday for Final Fantasy XV. I am a huge RPG nerd so yes....both will be played, but after 15 (heh).

BasilZero said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

How did you get the demo?  I have the day one edition too, but nothing like a code inside of it.  

Was your copy a used copy? I bought mine new from my local Best Buy - they only had 3 copies left of the Day One Edition priced at $20 - same as the regular edition.

Damn.

Well I'm about 8 hours in the game now. Just got to chapter 3.

What I really like about this game is the idea that it remembers to always be an RPG.  For instance, you have to manage and think which quests you want to do and are ok with giving up because of the time mechanic.  Also the time mechanic forces you to make the most of your time anywhere you go, especially outside Akademia.

This is something too many RPGs don't do right or at all.  Well designed RPGs require that you give up certain things for advantages in other fields or for decisions to be made carefully for how you prefer to play, and Type 0 has this done well enough in a very simple manner..at least so far.

I really like the risk vs reward system too in each mission.  They can be turned off I think if they become too annoying at the Sorcery location.

The grinding system of pusing for more battles out in the field or retreating without having to look for more random encounters is something I thought I had as an original idea, ha!

The only thing I don't particularly like is having to train all of the cadets to keep them battle ready.  I still haven't used all of them.  I'll probably end up training half of them at most and then concentrate more on the other half on a second playthrough (this game has New Game + from what I have heard).

The kill sight and critical sight mechanic could be more fleshed out too.

Lube Me Up