By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U - What Realistically We Expect/Want

spemanig said:
Paatar said:
A world like Xenoblade, where there is always something to do.
An RPG like mechanic where you can get new swords, bows and shields (maybe even different weapon types) and upgrade them in different ways.
Seasons.

That's really all I want.

As great as Xenoblade is, I don't want Zelda to be anything like that game. The reasons Xenoblade always has things to do wouldn't work for Zelda. It would be mundaine and boring when not being applied to an RPG with all kinds of stats and systems to micromanage.

It shouldn't be anything like an RPG. Zelda is deliberately not an RPG, and should stay that way. A world like Wind Waker, where there is always something to do, is what Zelda should be striving for. I'd say a world like ALttP, Zelda 1, or even 3D examples like Dark Souls or Bloodborne since they prioritize density over scale, but that ship saled as soon as Epona returned. A more packed Wind Waker is the next best thing, and that seems to be exactly what we're getting.

Zelda U's overworld is the Great Sea... of grass, and Epona is the King of Red Lions. She even controls like him. The islands are the dungeons, towns, cities, and villages, and the isles/watch towers/landmarks/submarines/etc wild be everything else. This game is basically that WW2 game he wanted to make before it was maimed into TP. And that is glorious.

If seasons are in this game, I'll wet my pants.

First off this is a thread on how we personally want it, not how it should be.

second, I don't want it to be like Xenoblade in terms of gameplay the world per se, I just want it to have something to do everywhere. Similar to Xenoblade.

Again, I don't want it to be an RPG, I want it to have some elements.

and lastly, again, it's how I want it. If you disagree fine, but don't tell me what I want is wrong just because it's not the same as you. 

okay? Kay. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

You was five!? Dont get me wrong, but with 5 years you can't understand or play game like OoT, you could not even to read. I currently have 5 year old kid and he definitely couldn't play OoT without help.

I was around 16, and I couldn't believe that game like that exist, I couldn't compare it with anything. For record, before N64, I had Commodore 64, Sega Master System, NES, SMII, Super Nintendo and PS1, so I was already pretty skilled player with lotsa experience.

...You couldn't read at 5?

The language in the dialog of OoT wasn't difficult to read or understand. It was Rated E for a reason. I did have help. I had a 10 year old cousin, but he mostly helped me through the "scary" parts I didn't like playing. (I fucking hate going through Hyrule Field at night to this day because of the zombie wolves) I only had my NES before that, and didn't need reading to beat most of Zelda 1 on it. Again, my cousin helped when I had trouble, but that was a rare occurance.

That's what I always talk about though. Games now treating kids like they're idiots. OoT and Majora's mask weren't even remotely difficult to understand at that age. It's a cartoon villian with a cartoon plot line. It's not a remotely deep or complicated narrative to follow at all.

Paatar said:
spemanig said:

As great as Xenoblade is, I don't want Zelda to be anything like that game. The reasons Xenoblade always has things to do wouldn't work for Zelda. It would be mundaine and boring when not being applied to an RPG with all kinds of stats and systems to micromanage.

It shouldn't be anything like an RPG. Zelda is deliberately not an RPG, and should stay that way. A world like Wind Waker, where there is always something to do, is what Zelda should be striving for. I'd say a world like ALttP, Zelda 1, or even 3D examples like Dark Souls or Bloodborne since they prioritize density over scale, but that ship saled as soon as Epona returned. A more packed Wind Waker is the next best thing, and that seems to be exactly what we're getting.

Zelda U's overworld is the Great Sea... of grass, and Epona is the King of Red Lions. She even controls like him. The islands are the dungeons, towns, cities, and villages, and the isles/watch towers/landmarks/submarines/etc wild be everything else. This game is basically that WW2 game he wanted to make before it was maimed into TP. And that is glorious.

If seasons are in this game, I'll wet my pants.

second, I don't want it to be like Xenoblade in terms of gameplay the world per se, I just want it to have something to do everywhere. Similar to Xenoblade.

and lastly, again, it's how I want it. If you disagree fine, but don't tell me what I want is wrong just because it's not the same as you. 

okay? Kay. 

I know. I personally want it to be how it should be. I was spurred to say what I want based off my reaction to what you want. Not once did I say "what you want is wrong." I didn't think Xenoblade was a good example because of how completely different these to games need to accomplish the goal of having a world packed with things to do. I thought there were better examples that lend themselves better to Zelda as a comparison, which is why I brought up Wind Waker. I didn't say you wanted it to be an RPG. I said it shouldn't be anything like an RPG, specifically because you said that it should have RPG elements.

Which I disagree with.

Which you yourself said is fine.

Okay? K.

97alexk said:

I want there to be alot of stuff to do. post gane included. something that doesnt feel like a chore but something amazing. And i want like alot of weapons/gear/items and stuff. Imaginative envoirements like xenoblade chronicles X

It sounds like you more or less want a Elder Scrolls game lol

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

You was five!? Dont get me wrong, but with 5 years you can't understand or play game like OoT, you could not even to read. I currently have 5 year old kid and he definitely couldn't play OoT without help.

I was around 16, and I couldn't believe that game like that exist, I couldn't compare it with anything. For record, before N64, I had Commodore 64, Sega Master System, NES, SMII, Super Nintendo and PS1, so I was already pretty skilled player with lotsa experience.

...You couldn't read at 5?

The language in the dialog of OoT wasn't difficult to read or understand. It was Rated E for a reason. I did have help. I had a 10 year old cousin, but he mostly helped me through the "scary" parts I didn't like playing. (I fucking hate going through Hyrule Field at night to this day because of the zombie wolves) I only had my NES before that, and didn't need reading to beat most of Zelda 1 on it. Again, my cousin helped when I had trouble, but that was a rare occurance.

That's what I always talk about though. Games now treating kids like they're idiots. OoT and Majora's mask weren't even remotely difficult to understand at that age. It's a cartoon villian with a cartoon plot line. It's not a remotely deep or complicated narrative to follow at all.

I agree with you, OoT is playable at 5

Around the Network

A season type thing would definitely be interesting, but a day and night cycle should be incorporated.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

HoloDust said:
I like what I've seen so far, especially how terrain seem to be cleverly made in a way that, while still being open, it's slightly nudging you to where you can go, while not limiting your choices (similar to Pyranha Bytes games or Skellige in Withcer 3).

From what they've shown, line of sight seems to be also great, I enjoy detailed landscapes, but in open world games if there is too much vegetation and not enough vantage points, exploration can be really painful (looking at you Velen).

I'm hoping for a lot of smaller and hidden dungeons as well as some choke points with tough enemies way beyond your level, so you are forced to come back later or be very creative about it.

Also, I actually liked breakable shields in SS, so I'm hoping they keep on developing those mechanics as well.

You and I have very similar ideas for how to make this game good.

The only thing is the breakable sheilds. I like having sheild upgrades, but I don't find needing to constantly reinforce your sheild or being discouraged from using a sheild because you're aftaid it will break as fun. The souls games handles it well with stamina. Either way, I hope this game steers away from all of the recognizable items in favor of a variety of them. Many different sheilds that do different things with different effects and disadvantages. Different swords with different effects and disadvantages. Different arrows with different effects and advantages, etc. No Master Sword. No Hylian Sheild. No Light Arrow. No "best weapon." Just strategy and skill.

That's why seeing the long sword is so exciting. If it has it's own moveset with it's own advantages and disadvantages, this game will offer a ton of options and combat complexity previously unseen in Zelda. Not to this extent.

The best thing about Wind Waker, combat wise, was how useful all of Link's weapons were in that game, and how it was almost a dance in the later sections juggling through your inventory looking for the best combination of weapons to incapacitate the group of enemies you were battling. Capitalizing on that, and complicating your options would be absolutely fantastic.

That's why I really hope this game cans the gimmick bosses in favor of bosses you need to fight with your own, on the spot strategies and weapons on hand. Same with the dungeons. Instead of having an item gimmick, it would be amazing if you could tackle every dungeon without any specific item. Instead, getting through the dungeon is an immense labyrinth that takes an extreme grasp of logic and superior fighting skills. You can beat dungeon 8 first, but it's the most mentally taxting and recommends better weapons than what you will likely have.

I also hope the speculation is all true, and that you really do start the game with Epona and the bow. This opens up so much regarding how they can design dungeons and the overworld.

Platina said:
A season type thing would definitely be interesting, but a day and night cycle should be incorporated.

Isn't day and night confirmed? We've already seen different times of day as well as an ingame clock.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of an open world 3D game with cyclical seasons. I genuinely cannot fathom how amazing that would be in a game as beautiful as this. It was absolutely breathtaking in Pokemon, and it's a damn shame it was scrapped in XY. I'm not holding my breath for it, but you can add that to my list of wants, because even if it is just an aesthetic touch, and we all know that with Nintendo it wouldn't be, it would set an atmosphere very few games have.

Also, I want to see Link in a Snow Tunic.

What I wonder is how quick the cycle should even be. Pokemon changed seasons every month, and that was perfect, but that's a game you play well after you beat the campaign. Zelda isn't like that (for better or worse). But if the cycle is too fast... Well it'll be too fast, obviously. Then again, the day night cycle in Zelda is faster than in Pokemon too, so maybe it could work if it changed every week/every two weeks or something. I dunno.

spemanig said:
Platina said:

Isn't day and night confirmed? We've already seen different times of day as well as an ingame clock.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of an open world 3D game with cyclical seasons. I genuinely cannot fathom how amazing that would be in a game as beautiful as this. It was absolutely breathtaking in Pokemon, and it's a damn shame it was scrapped in XY. I'm not holding my breath for it, but you can add that to my list of wants, because even if it is just an aesthetic touch, and we all know that with Nintendo it wouldn't be, it would set an atmosphere very few games have.

Also, I want to see Link in a Snow Tunic.

What I wonder is how quick the cycle should even be. Pokemon changed seasons every month, and that was perfect, but that's a game you play well after you beat the campaign. Zelda isn't like that (for better or worse). But if the cycle is too fast... Well it'll be too fast, obviously. Then again, the day night cycle in Zelda is faster than in Pokemon too, so maybe it could work if it changed every week/every two weeks or something. I dunno.

Yes, I guess it is then :p

Honestly, it would be surprising if it didn't because a lot of Zelda games already have this feature

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

spemanig said:
Paatar said:

okay? Kay. 

I know. I personally want it to be how it should be. I was spurred to say what I want based off my reaction to what you want. Not once did I say "what you want is wrong." I didn't think Xenoblade was a good example because of how completely different these to games need to accomplish the goal of having a world packed with things to do. I thought there were better examples that lend themselves better to Zelda as a comparison, which is why I brought up Wind Waker. I didn't say you wanted it to be an RPG. I said it shouldn't be anything like an RPG, specifically because you said that it should have RPG elements.

Which I disagree with.

Which you yourself said is fine.

Okay? K.

Regardless of your intentions, the way everything you worded gave the impression of "what you want is wrong". Yes, you never said it specifically like that, but it was definitely your intention based on how you worded things. 

Xenoblade is a perfect example. It fills its world up very nicely. I want Zelda to do the same. How can that be a bad example? Windwaker was barely filled and an awful example due to how dull it is when traveling on the ocean. 

You saying it shouldn't be like an RPG is telling me that I shouldn't have said that, it's telling me that my opinion is wrong. 

Here's an example, you want seasons in the new Zelda? Well I don't think it should because no other Zelda game has and it has never been that realistic.*

Same thing with me saying I want it to have some RPG elements and you saying it shouldn't. It's telling me my personal wants are bad and wrong.

Understand now? I'm tired of trying to explain things to you since you never seem to respect others opinions.

*I want seasons, but this is an example. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]