By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX will be hard to find, because Nintendo made very limited numbers on purpose.

I don't believe that Wii U and 3DS will die off when NX arrives.  I think the NX is a cross of current generation and a premium console for the more core audience.  I think that the NX is the suppliment that strengthen Nintendo's message that they are part of the console hardware business and are conintuing to develop for this market despite the other platforms they'll be entering.

The Wii U has a lot of problems and the NX will try to resolve these issues.  The biggest concern for the Wii U is that it's trumped by the more powerful current gen consoles.  With NX, they are on a more level playing field.  Nintendo's ability to attract 3rd party is almost non-existent, especially compared to the other two console makers and this almost seems to be why third party companies do not take their games on Nintendo consoles.  It seems as if there is almost a predjudice towards Nintendo consoles because there is a stigma that if they developed for a Nintendo console, the Nintendo console would be a lesser product than with it's more powerful contemporaries.  Their brand image seems to always be pointed towards a younger audience and the NX will try to nix that stigma by being more mature. 

How it can exist with Wii U and 3DS still around.  The NX is the core audience console that blends both Wii U and 3DS.  The Nintendo Machine that also does what other consoles Do and still be Nintendo.  This is why the NX can warrant a possible $400-$500 dollar range price tag without Nintendo going full Microsoft/Sony on their consoles and losing money on every sale without reason.  The NX adopts the Amiibo rarity/demand phenomenon.  People will always want it, they can never have it, but will pay a higher price for it via Ebay.  Sorry folks, but the rarity strategy is paying off for Amiibo and if Nintendo can do it for the NX, it will always be relevant and that's a strategy Nintendo will quietly implement.

Nintendo will only make as much NX machines for as much as they need to make a profit in accordance to how much they're willing to lose money.  I'm not going to do the math because there are a lot of variables, but I'm sure the Nintendo head honchos know exactly how much to make for them to taunt gamers.

There are evidence to this bold prediction.  First off, Nintendo's entry into the mobile market.  Certainly, Nintendo will only use this platform as a branch in their strategy for profit.  It will be a big branch, but that is not the whole tree.  It's a big tree and the mobile market is a big branch.  Mobile will make up whatever profits nintendo loses from the NX machine. Other branches of the strategy will let Nintendo experiment with the NX, all the while having a safety net with all their other platforms.  The NX doesn't need to sell 25 million in a year and a half, they just need the NX to be their flagship product instilling a sense of confidence for customers who are worried that Nintendo will take their focus on games on dedicated consoles. 

The Nintendo Network will be a big player in this whole console scheme.  It will be the glue that will incorporate all console and smart devices.  Miitomo is the litmus test for the Nintendo Network, only serving as a test run for their bigger plans.  Where Sony and microsoft introduced multiple gaming on multiple platforms of their own products, Nintendo will run with this idea and because their IP is what makes nintendo, it will succeed further than their contemporaries.

Other branches of their strategy involve their strong IP library.  Their IP is known world wide and will only continue to become stronger in Nintendo's next big push for market supremacy.  Perhaps movies, perhaps TV, perhaps more merch.  At the moment it's unknown what that strategy will be since they haven't hinted at anything for their IP.  Despite this, their IP have very strong and intriguing potential.  This will help to quell the downturn if their NX product isn't as popular as they'd like.  Basically, with Nintendo's other ventures, they don't need to be number 1 in the console race.

Games like smash, LOZ and Mario Kart are a long way from sequels in relative to the NX's introduction into the market and we all know how Nintendo likes to have their big name IP on their main console.  With such a strong push towards DLC in a new and innovate and Nintendo-ish way from other companies, it can be argued that big name Nintendo games are far away from having sequels.  THere's no point in another SMash for another 6 +years since we haven't even seen all the characters and the games has been out for almost a year.  No reason for another Mario kart within the next five years as well for the same reasons.  Games down the line like the currently develping and unreleased Wii U LOZ will not come to the NX anytime soon after the 2016 release of current LOZ home console game.  Metroid will be developing for both Wii U and NX console and will release on both systems. Doing things this way will ensure that the NX will not suffer from a games draught that the Wii U suffered from.  And it's not like everyone has already played Wii U games, I'm looking at Wii U console sales and I'm sure there is great potential for existing Wii U games to be played on the NX.

I remember an article that claimed Nintendo's rivals were no longer Sony and Microsoft a way while back.  Instead, it will be the likes of Disney, Google and Apple.  I'm not saying Microsoft and Sony aren't capable rivals, it just seems as if Nintendo would rather pick who they would play with and it just seems as if they're dismissing Microsoft and Sony with their next moves in introducing a new console mid generation.   Not only that, but they've broken the E3 cycle of presentation and have made a big buzz with their Nintendo Direct and Digital events.  Everytime they've release or about to release a new event, the industry looks to them eagerly anticipating their next announcements.  With Nintendo's new attitude towards the business and their willingness to experiment, the NX will no doubt be a hit, if at most all units are sold in stores.  It's a new and exciting time for Nintendo, but most of us will not be able to experience the plateau of what they're offering.  Evidence: I still don't have a Marth amiibo.  Good luck, yall, in getting an NX. 

NOTICE, NOTICE, NOTICE.  Please look at my personal "Status Page, If you're curious.  If not, well, that's just the world, isn't it. 

Around the Network

You've got time to blow huh? Nintendo isn't that dumb. They can be dumb, SOMETIMES, but they're not that stupid. Sometimes they underestimate demand. With Amiibo, I would have done the same thing but maybe in a test market first to see if the demand was going to be as high as it is now. Don't think this will happen with NX.

BasilZero said:

Man, they must of made so many limited units that it seems like no one can find it - not even VGChartz on their sales data.

(dat dedicated tl;dr post - where ya'll people get all this time to post stuff like dis :O)

i have been wondering this myself in the last few weeks lol.

Ljink96 said:
You've got time to blow huh? Nintendo isn't that dumb. They can be dumb, SOMETIMES, but they're not that stupid. Sometimes they underestimate demand. With Amiibo, I would have done the same thing but maybe in a test market first to see if the demand was going to be as high as it is now. Don't think this will happen with NX.

While I thank you for your naysay, I would have liked it better if you had given proper reason for your nay, eh.  I mean, dumb as an answer can only cover everything.

Shouldn't this be in the NX Official Thread?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
BasilZero said:

Man, they must of made so many limited units that it seems like no one can find it - not even VGChartz on their sales data.

(dat dedicated tl;dr post - where ya'll people get all this time to post stuff like dis :O)

i have been wondering this myself in the last few weeks lol.

Im guessing they wrote it on Microsoft Word, where they add more to it while the days pass by. Then just copy and paste it on to here. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

The NX inquisition is always watching, Ouroboros24.

And no. They want the NX to sell as much as possible. The Wii was selling like no other platform has sold before, they could afford limiting production to keep interest and price intact. After the WiiU, not so much.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

If NX fails, Nintendo will be out of the console business. A lot depends on the success of the new device, so Nintendo sure as hell will want to sell as many as possible.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

It makes more business sense to produce as much as is demanded since most of their profit comes from extras people buy for the system. You sell as much as you can as you can...having shortages only hurts you in the long run. People can and will lose interest if the next best thing comes around while their waiting for you to stock back up. Plus...ever hear of a pre-order? I'll have mine day one.

Make it So.

Darwinianevolution said:
The NX inquisition is always watching, Ouroboros24.

And no. They want the NX to sell as much as possible. The Wii was selling like no other platform has sold before, they could afford limiting production to keep interest and price intact. After the WiiU, not so much.

Let them watch, whatever that is you mention.  I can only guess that there is an initiative here on VGchartz about new NX threads.  Well that's censorship and if I get shut down for it, I'll be fine with cutting ties if needs be.

Of course they want the NX to sell.  They want to sell over 100 million+.  Thing is, in the proposed outline of what the NX is I wrote, it is the demand that will help them get higher numbers.  After the initial amiibo sales, say Marth, because there was so much outcry, nintendo reverse cancelling production on that amiibo and sent out more on the market.  And here I am still wanting one and not being able to find it. 

What's so bad that Nintendo limits their initial release of NX machines, when later they could mass produce during key segments of the year.  Holiday season for instance.  Test the water a little bit, create as much as you need to make a profit, and sell all of them.  Let the year continue to pass keeping track of what demand is like.  I mean, if you're making these "industry leading" machines for about $600+ dollars a pop, and selling them for $500 with a $100 loss for the machine, would it make sense to make more of what you'll earn in about 2 to 3 years by means of software sales?

And I get it, there is a push by the industry for Nintendo to land a massive success for their new console, but the thing is, they don't need to.  In media, there is always the doom, if not amazingly successful.  We all know here in VGchartz that that's not necessarily what matters.  What matters is that the Company, the product will go on to be a company in the future and release something else.  We may want winners and state that they are, but in reality, for second or third place within the last 3 console generations, Nintendo isn't doing all too badly.  Plus, the NX would be covered by other branches of Nintendo platforms.  Worst case scenario, the NX bombs as much as Wii U.  In a current Wii U world, is Nintendo up from their whole business earnings?  Last investor's meeting, they were green in the books.  That was done by the help of Amiibos, 3ds software/hardward, Wii U software(not so much hardware), etc.  Next year if Wii U continues same trend, they'll be Mobile, Amiibo, current softwar/hardware.  Nintendo is recreating its business model to be less dependant on just a few products. I stay true to the premise of the NX's limited numbers, in that all that's described so far is that with this business model, Nintendo can thrive without the NX selling like hot cakes.  In reality, Nintendo has been the little mom and pop unecessarily for far too long and it's about time they get with modern times.  At least if they limited production, it would be modern times with a nintendo flair.