By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony Treat Rise Of The Tombraider As A Relaunch?

Chazore said:
binary solo said:

But the game should do well on PC, because PC gamers are used to having delayed ports so they will buy the game in the same numbers as if it was launched on the same day as Xb one. This might get RoTR sales up to a level where SE feels they don;t need a relaunch marketing campaign for PS4. I guess we have about 10 months until we find out. By September we should know what SE/Sony have planned for the RoTR release, if anything.

Not entirely 100% factually true, not all of us appreciate or like delayed ports. If I'm getting a delayed port for say a year or more and hardly anything done to make it different than it's original release then I'm less likely to pay full price and instead wait for a sale. I'd also imagine it being odd to claim it will give exactly the same numbers as Xbox while elaving out what it would do for PS4.

Where did I say PC gamers like or appreciate delayed ports? I said they are used to it. Which means even though they don't like being late to the party they don't get all pissy and precious about not being there on day 1 and they still buy the games in decent numbers. Indeed I'd say the other way around is also true, when PC games are late ported to consoles the console gamers don't get pissy about it either. The only real pissiness about late ports is when it's between consoles. 

Sure, when someone does a shit job of bringing it to PC and doesn't have all the usual graphical bells and whistles the game will under-perform sales-wise. But that's not because of the lateness of the port, that's because of the shittiness of the port. Look at Arkham Knight, that was originally released on PC at the same time as consoles, but it was such a shit job that PC gamers stayed away in droves. WB would have been much better off delaying the release of AK for PC than releasing a PoS and having to pull it from electronic stores and attempt to re-release it later. 

I dunno why people want Sony to put the boot into SE. If anything Sony should give SE a hug and say "there, there it's OK, you're home now we'll look after you." The best possible result for PS4 is that it sells very well and that SE favours PS for future RoTR games. Perhaps there are a lot of old skool fans who don't like this new Uncharted-esque direction TR has taken and they would like to see this round fail and for SE to re-reboot in 3 or 4 years into something that is a modern redo of the more classic TR gameplay style. If someone is one of those types then wishing for RoTR to fail on all platforms makes sense. But if you liked TR 2013 then hoping for RoTR failure is just wrong.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:

binary solo said:

But the game should do well on PC, because PC gamers are used to having delayed ports so they will buy the game in the same numbers as if it was launched on the same day as Xb one. This might get RoTR sales up to a level where SE feels they don;t need a relaunch marketing campaign for PS4. I guess we have about 10 months until we find out. By September we should know what SE/Sony have planned for the RoTR release, if anything.

Where did I say PC gamers like or appreciate delayed ports? I said they are used to it. Which means even though they don't like being late to the party they don't get all pissy and precious about not being there on day 1 and they still buy the games in decent numbers. Indeed I'd say the other way around is also true, when PC games are late ported to consoles the console gamers don't get pissy about it either. The only real pissiness about late ports is when it's between consoles. 

Sure, when someone does a shit job of bringing it to PC and doesn't have all the usual graphical bells and whistles the game will under-perform sales-wise. But that's not because of the lateness of the port, that's because of the shittiness of the port. Look at Arkham Knight, that was originally released on PC at the same time as consoles, but it was such a shit job that PC gamers stayed away in droves. WB would have been much better off delaying the release of AK for PC than releasing a PoS and having to pull it from electronic stores and attempt to re-release it later. 

I dunno why people want Sony to put the boot into SE. If anything Sony should give SE a hug and say "there, there it's OK, you're home now we'll look after you." The best possible result for PS4 is that it sells very well and that SE favours PS for future RoTR games. Perhaps there are a lot of old skool fans who don't like this new Uncharted-esque direction TR has taken and they would like to see this round fail and for SE to re-reboot in 3 or 4 years into something that is a modern redo of the more classic TR gameplay style. If someone is one of those types then wishing for RoTR to fail on all platforms makes sense. But if you liked TR 2013 then hoping for RoTR failure is just wrong.

Bolded 1, still shows you say they accept it regardless.

Bolded 2, what'sthat mean?.

When a port is late and shit, the time spent didn't improve it when it shows how abd of a port it was, time also plays into creating almost anything, also for AK they spent an extra few months and time didn't improve it either which was what they claimed they needed and what Ubisoft and others wo are asking for more time by deaying the PC ports are also doing. Also delaying AK in the first place wouldn't have made it better, the end result shows that it was always going to be shit, time didn't fix much for that game.

The point is in delaying a game and asking for more time, you are asking some people to take that gamble and time and time again it;s proven to not be a wise one to take, that's why I'm that someone who dislikes waiting for delays, even the rgeats can run into crap when asking for more time and still fudge up a release, it;s the asking us to take the gamble that annoys some of us.

I don't know why people want Sony to boot SE either, I have a smidge of a clue to them being upset that SE has decided to give a fraction of attention ot other platforms like a tiny part for Nintendo, Xbox and PC while the majority is still on PS, the one slight shift in focus seems to have created a bit of a ripple, users like Abun touted that SE had "sold out" to PS only gamers for this one time deal and I;m pretty sure some other fans probably think that same line of thought as well. THe thing is they fail to tnoice that for one SE focuses on other plats, that's a given thing at this point and they still manage to focus on PS the most, the other is that they are a free company to do with as they please, they are in no way owned soley by Sony and have no obligation to give all games and foxus towards, despite them selling most IP's on PS, it still doesn't mean they have to completely and some fans forget this.

That said I don't entirely disagree with you though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It would be crazy if Sony didn't even allow it to release on ps4, just to teach SE a lesson. That would be a pretty badass display of confidence, Sony showing they needed TR a lot less than TR needed them. And it would it would mean overall pretty poor sales for RotTR. 

It would also be a bastard thing to do, though. And I want to play TR, so I def don't want that to happen. 

Protendo said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Rob5VGC said:

Nope. Not explaining.

No, feel free to elaborate.

Just look at the Finaly Fantasy Type Zero sales ratio. Not much more to say.

Plus, Square Enix hasn't been interested in putting Jp games on the Xbox lately. Wouldn't be shocked if FFXV and FH3 were the last ones. 

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
It would be crazy if Sony didn't even allow it to release on ps4, just to teach SE a lesson. That would be a pretty badass display of confidence, Sony showing they needed TR a lot less than TR needed them. And it would REALLY screw SE up, financially.

It would also be a bastard thing to do. And I want to play TR, so I don't want that to happen ha

I doubt it would screw them up financially to a point where they have to close up shop, they still have other markets to focus on as much as the PS one.

Also it's pretty damning to oust one company that is free to do business with others, trying to teach them and force them in various ways to obey and adhere only to you is not a good sign at all. To me that's not really badass, it's more  totalitarian if anything.

At least you want the game enough to not want them to do it =P.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Microsoft should buy the Tomb Raider franchise ip since the heads of xbox want their own uncharted type franchise. It is obvious Square enix don't have too much confidence in the game series.

Snoopy said:
Microsoft should buy the Tomb Raider franchise ip since the heads of xbox want their own uncharted type franchise. It is obvious Square enix don't have too much confidence in the game series.

Or they can make their own? 

In the modern AAA gaming space, titles have a VERY narrow timeframe in which to get exposure and hype going in order to translate that to sales and legs. The fact that SO few games achieve this (GTA, Minecraft, Mario Kart, etc) really bodes poorly for TR overall.

Outside of bundling and severe discounts, I think this TR is just about DOA. There are simply too many gigantic games coming out this month for it to have a chance at anything more than negligible sales, and the story will be similar next fall.

It doesn't help that the marketing for this is terrible. I have seen some ads, but it's very dull looking CG with no personality or anything to distinguish it as a 'must-have' title that you want to look up more about. Which is a shame as it's actually a well reviewed game.

Late ports basically always fail, and there's no reason to believe that it won't be the same story here barring a miracle.

Total sales numbers will probably look okayish thanks to probable 'free with any Xbox sale' specials and $5 PC versions after it becomes heavily discounted, but $-wise, it may go down as one of the most spectacular failures in recent memory.

But to recap, the average gaming public has a very short attention span and the minute hype for TR is already buried under FO4, COD, and Star Wars, and it will only get more forgotten as time goes on.

gooch_destroyer said:
Snoopy said:

Or they can make their own? 

Nah, much easier to buy the game series out because it already has an establish fanbase. The current sales / microtransactions are probably enough to make microsoft a decent profit. So in the long run, it can benefit Microsoft espeically in the PR department.