By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Superstars Tennis plays better on Wii?

http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/4888ACED-B101-4306-93BF-79FB4A333AAC.htm

http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/9D28C53E-87D3-492C-AB47-5B75D62D74EE.htm

http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/F9646B42-6C96-4A97-A37E-2158D2DFB122.htm

ADVANTAGE WII

sually when Sonic and friends get together, it’s for some bad futuristic racing. But it turns out that the blue hedgehog has some decent tennis skills. Developer Sumo Digital’s history with Virtua Tennis is on display with intense, precise volleys and easy to pull off lobs and drop shots on the Wii version.

Singles play against the AI is challenging, yet fair, but watch out for inconsistent partners in doubles matches. Sometimes they’ll kick ass up and down the court, while other times the ball will pass right through them. As per the mascot requirement, powered up Superstar shots result in plenty of zigzagging balls and status effects, but it’s nice to be able to toggle them off for more straightforward play.

Quick matches, multiplayer, tournaments, and minigames are all easily accessible, but the Superstars mode is where most of the depth is centered. Scrolling through various Sega franchise zones ranging from Samba de Amigo to Space Channel 5, there’s always a wide selection of tournaments, exhibitions, and minigames to beat at any given time. Challenges range from fun (a Hogan’s Alley inspired Virtua Cop game and PuyoPop Fever puzzles) to pesky (Sonic’s ring collection and House of the Dead’s zombie slaying). Overall, they aren’t too shabby. That is, until you have to repeat them 10 times. Despite the repetition, the constant barrage of unlockable characters, stages, and music will keep fans playing.

The 16-character roster is more than 30 percent Sonic characters and includes old-school surprises like Golden Axe’s Gilius and Alex Kidd. Unfortunately, rather than including as many franchises in the roster as possible, Sega added a bunch of lame sidekicks like MeeMee, Pudding, and Gum instead.

While the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions include online play and improved graphics, I surprisingly had a lot more fun on the Wii. The Wii Sports-style tennis controls feel great, especially when you add in a nunchuk to control character movement (players can also hold a remote sideways if they just want to press buttons). Each option works well, but it’s easy to accidentally press the camera change button during motion-controlled swings. It felt like there were a lot more randomly missed shots on PS3/360, and lobs and drop shots are much more of a pain to pull off.

Sega Superstars Tennis is by no means amazing, but it should manage to satisfy Sega and tennis fans alike.

CONCEPT:
Take Mario Tennis and swap in Sega characters

GRAPHICS:
The cartoony style works well even when scaled down for the Wii

SOUND:
Loads of unlockable music from Sega history

PLAYABILITY:
The Wii waggle controls feel better than the more traditional schemes

ENTERTAINMENT:
Solid tennis gameplay mixed with generally amusing minigames

REPLAY:
Moderate

MATT HELGESON 7.5
I’ve been pretty hard on Sonic and many of his compatriots in recent years. Okay, so the gang isn’t exactly on par with Super Smash Bros. in terms of star power. However, this new tennis title manages to present gamers with some solid, casual sports entertainment. While the minigames are a mixed bag, the tennis is surprisingly well done, if a bit shallow. It’s far from perfect; some of the computer AI is a little suspect at times, the minigames get fairly repetitive, and I found the power-up “superstar” shots for the characters are unbalanced. However, especially on the Wii (which I preferred), the game provides a lot of fun for those looking for a mix of tennis gameplay and Sega universe shenanigans.

Finally, something is better to be played on Wii, rather than X360 or PS3....

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Around the Network

Nice, could you resize it so it fits on the page?

the gameranking for the game is also the highest on the wii =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

But IGN has ranked it worse on the Wii that on the 360 (PS3 version hasnt been reviewed yet but its the same as the 360 one ) .

Its just that a mediocre game is higher in the Wii lineup that on the 360 or PS3 .

Diomedes1976 said:
But IGN has ranked it worse on the Wii that on the 360 (PS3 version hasnt been reviewed yet but its the same as the 360 one ) .

Its just that a mediocre game is higher in the Wii lineup that on the 360 or PS3 .

soooo...if IGN rates GTAIV 360 higher (which it probably will), then i can say the same, without the mediocre part that is =P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:

http://xbox360.ign.com/index/reviews.html   ???????

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Well, I would certainly hope that a tennis game played better on Wii.

Possible rental for me.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Diomedes1976 said:

That's fanboy jibberish sir, and you know it.

IGN usually has seperate reviewers for 360, PS3, and Wii. They don't cooridinate their scores. Bully for Wii was better than the 360 version, but Bozon is a much harsher reviewer than the 360 reviewer was/is.

If there were two different reviewers this time, then that explains your query.

As a PS3 owner, I can tell you frankly, the Wii lineup atm is way better. Maybe I just don't have any taste. Do you think that's the case?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Yep, Matt Casamassina reviews the Wii version, Ed Lewis will probably review the PS3 version. Either way, they aren't using Matt's review for the other versions of the game. Different reviewers have differing opinion, even from the same site. Quoting reviews out of context = failure.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

gonna buy this game
and yeah, it should play better on the Wii