By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Main Reason why Twilight Princess HD doesnt look as good?

Would better lightning satisfy you with the games graphics?

Yes definitly 60 42.86%

No, I want tech demo graphics 42 30.00%

I am already satisfied 38 27.14%

Total:140

Better lighting definitely would have helped make the HD version stand out a little more. As it is, the changes are so subtle.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network

TP only looked good on Gamecube and that was years ago. Increasing the resolution of the textures isn't going to do this game any good. I just think Nintendo should have let Monolith Soft do the HD re-release. They said they wanted to help make a Zelda game.

blackwarryor said:
But why everybody want to have a light TP ?!? The dark atmosphere and graphics made the charm of the game. You can definitely increase the graphics quality but absolutely not the light ! In the video, Link and the Hylian shield are way to light and i think it distort TP.

I'd argue the opposite; contrasting Link's light, if you will, with the darkness of the game is a fantastic thematic choice. It worked wonders with Majora's Mask, where the world was colorful and vibrant but the themes were darker than any other Zelda, period. Contrasting themes is something often overlooked in games. 

OT: When you go for realism in the SD era, you're gonna end up with some crop when it's polished up to HD. As bad as Skyward Sword is with cutting corners, that semi-cel shaded style will resonate for years to come, as did WW. The only reason OoT and MM got away with it is because the models weren't going for realism, and because you'd never tell the difference if they were anyway because the era was bound to have bad polygons.

I do wish they would have given Tantalus more to work with because some of those shapes just look so bad that it can't make up for having less blurry models. I'm not asking for a huge overhaul or anything, just something to make the Castle spires not be square like it's a damn N64 game. If the added gameplay fixes are excellent I'll turn a blind eye though because the game itself was already solid even if it was an eye sore. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

There are quite a few parts where TP HD looks better than WW HD, there, I said it.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

nuckles87 said:
It looks just like a lot of the other 6th gen to 7th gen HD ports. Windwaker only looks as good as it does because it was cel-shaded. We were never going to get the tech demo graphics, because that would have required the game to be completely remade.

I dont think your right. Kingdom Hearts games also got remastered (Kh 2.5HD and co), are also cartoony/cel shaded and didnt looked much better. 

Around the Network
Edwardooo said:

Because that would have needed way more work and the purpose of the game is to have a Zelda game for Wii U fans who are waiting for Zelda U.

Also, Twilight Princess is far more difficult to remastered than Wind Waker.

Basically this.

JNK said:
Edwardooo said:

Because that would have needed way more work and the purpose of the game is to have a Zelda game for Wii U fans who are waiting for Zelda U.

Also, Twilight Princess is far more difficult to remastered than Wind Waker.

both use the same engine. Adding the same lighting as in windwaker hd shouldnt be that hard.

Maybe they use same engine, but TP has far more complex graphics than WW even doesn't look so good like WW, and that's because of art style. WW in comparison with TP uses very simple textures and models. Just see some of the textures from TP HD, there are miles above any WW HD texture, but because of much better looking art style that is aged great, WW HD looks much better (in matter in fact its one of the best looking Wii games) than TP HD.

There is reason why TP is 3D Zelda that aged worst, and you cant make great looking game from that just with HD port. For great looking game TP would need to be full remake, not HD port.

Saying all that, it think TP HD looks good and noticeably better than TP, but certainly WW HD looks better but that's because of art style.

LOL that video you linked is a laugh.

Why are they blaming Tantalus for doing a shit job and saying Nintendo should have done this later in house when a game build from the ground up like Starfox isn't even pushing boundaries of graphics for the system?

People need to get other this. The game is clearly a STOP GAP FILLER port/remaster not REMAKE for the main event Zelda Wii U. Clearly that game had to be delayed to launch it on NX.

Tantalus Interactive, an Aussie dev, is the one working on this HD Remaster...which may explain why the game hasn't taken into account all the changes the other developer undertook with WWHD or even Grezzo with the 3DS remakes took to make the game look as better looking as possible.

Hopefully they're NOT just leaving it at purely redone HD textures! This HD remaster/remakes...needs some Bump Mapping, new shaders, lighting effects, etc...to really make it shine as an impressive looking game which shouldn't be a very compromising task whatsoever!

Just look at the HD mod that the GC version is undergoing through by 'Tomoya Hamasaki'...it really sets this HD remaster to shame! It really goes to show that a different in Shaders/Lighting can make it a long way...which explains why RE4 GC looks vastly superior to RE4 on PS2.

There's still time and hope for them to add a few of these techniques to make the game look vastly superior than that trailer...I didn't know about the HD mod before I saw the officially announced trailer of the HD remaster, and I already knew it was somewhat lacking because it just looked like it was simply a cleaner & purely re-textured remaster & THAT'S IT! I had already thought about shaders & lighting...because of games like WWHD & previously mentioned RE4GC vs. RE4PS2.

If anyone wants to see the 'old' (because it seems they're making a new one) trailer from about a MONTH AGO by 'Tomoya Hamasaki' of their HD mod running on the GC version through the Dolphin emulator, which completely puts this HD Remaster to shame and makes it look like 'amateur work'...I'll be putting it down below.

(Make sure set the video to 720p/1080p HD quality to get the full experience)

Their goal is to try to capture the lighting & visual look/feel of the Zelda Wii U E32011 tech demo...which is what should be aimed for in this Remaster.

I really hope Tantalus Interactive gets in contact with these people and/or hires/collabs with them...or start taking notes and ideas from the HD mod if they want their product to look as impressive/stellar & the best it can look without increasing polygon count or making any excruciating changes as a product.

They can definitely do better, WWHD was done in 6 months! Just throw in some 'NEW' Bump Mapping, Shaders, Lighting effects & YOU'RE GOLDEN!

I hope 'Tantalus is watching & reading this...it's in their best interest! Their Remaster just needs 'a bit' more work & it'll be FANTASTIC! :)

Ah the time, TP looked fantastic. In my opinion, only RE4 looked better on Gamecube. The problem is, like many "realistic" games, they age poorly. That's why games that only gain a following because they have "best graphics, ever" don't become timeless. Luckily, Twilight Princess had way more going for it than just graphics.