By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2015 NPD Thread! Everything is in the OP!

Gamz said:
twintail said:
Wait, the X1 barely outsold the PS4?

Yep.  The price cut didn't help the PS4 as much as I thought it would.  I'm surprised the Xbox One pulled it out.  Halo is still powerful.  

It did help the ps4.  It's just 3 of its main bundles didn't count until November.  

Around the Network

Oh Finally I've been waiting for this since the day Halo5 released. These sales numbers are terrible compared to Halo2 and Halo3 which released 11 and 8 years ago. 

6 months until 343 gets dropped completely.

CERTAIN AFFINITY take over Halo!!!

Gamz said:
twintail said:

Yep.  The price cut didn't help the PS4 as much as I thought it would.  I'm surprised the Xbox One pulled it out.  Halo is still powerful.  

With those software and hardware numbers, and only 28K gap, no it isn't

I expected more from the PS4 with the price cut, but it is only $50 after all. This proves consumers were fine with paying $399 and saw value in it. I think most were waiting for the COD and SW bundles too. We'll see how November does.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

twintail said:

how much is the gap now with 30k less on ps4 according to NPD?  there are two months left for xb1.

Angelv577 said:
twintail said:

how much is the gap now with 30k less on ps4 according to NPD?  there are two months left for xb1.

Why are you so obsessed about closing the gap? I think they're more focused on profits and YoY growth now.

Halo is still powerful even with lower sales. I read many comments here that no game has ever won against pricecut. Sure, many have been waiting for November bundles but then again, you could argue that many are waiting for extreme pricecuts for X1 like last year.

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:
Angelv577 said:
twintail said:

Why are you so obsessed about closing the gap? I think they're more focused on profits and YoY growth now.

Halo is still powerful even with lower sales. I read many comments here that no game has ever won against pricecut. Sure, many have been waiting for November bundles but then again, you could argue that many are waiting for extreme pricecuts for X1 like last year.

Over time it is definitely true, price cuts have a much more sustained effect because they lift the sales baseline, so over time a meaningful price cut leads to more sales than any single game, no matter how popular. I think over a short span of time, a few weeks in this case, it is very dependant on other factors as to whether a game or a price cut will have a bigger impact. In this case we have Halo, we have a LE bundle, we have only a $50 price cut, and perhaps some people were wanting $100, and we have 2 very popular games with LE bundles releasing in November. I think the SWBF and CoD bundles effect on Oct PS4 sales were more substantial than people really realised, though we won't really know until NPD for Nov comes out.

I think MS still wants to be #1 in the USA, so I think MS is a little bit obsessed with closing the gap. But I thnk they are trying to find a strategy which does not require a $50 price cut every year, because the Xbox execs do also want to be able to demonstrate that Xb one can be viable in both sales and profits.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

KiigelHeart said:
Angelv577 said:
twintail said:

I am not but since some are still hopeful for a win in the US, then it needs to do it now.  You might not care but it still a thing not to mention some were waiting for the holidays for a turn around in sales due to xb1 cutting the gap around 400k last year.  I dont know what your 2nd paragraph has to do with what I said.  The only thing that people can say without a doubt is that halo 5 only push xb1 to 303k compare to halo 3 that push xb360 over 500k for September which mean that halo doesnt have the same ability to move system first month as before. If halo can provide a better holiday sales, that remain to be seen.

Angelv577 said:

I am not but since some are still hopeful for a win in the US, then it needs to do it now.  You might not care but it still a thing not to mention some were waiting for the holidays for a turn around in sales due to xb1 cutting the gap around 400k last year.  I dont know what your 2nd paragraph has to do with what I said.  The only thing that people can say without a doubt is that halo 5 only push xb1 to 303k compare to halo 3 that push xb360 over 500k for September which mean that halo doesnt have the same ability to move system first month as before. If halo can provide a better holiday sales, that remain to be seen.

Ah ok. They don't seem to be very aggressive with their attempts to close the gap though, I'm quessing 350 - 399$ Halo bundle might have done much much more than 500$ bundle.

My second paragraph wasn't a reply to what you wrote :P I try to break away from this habit of quoting someone and then moving on to another matters. Yes it will be interesting to see if Halo can do better along the holidays. And if it doesn't, will X1 sales decline, increase or stay the same? Right now it seems that Halo is not the main reason for majority to buy X1 and that's good.

Its time ms forgets about being #1, focus on the damn profits. They focus to much on beating sony.

KiigelHeart said:
Angelv577 said:

Ah ok. They don't seem to be very aggressive with their attempts to close the gap though, I'm quessing 350 - 399$ Halo bundle might have done much much more than 500$ bundle.

My second paragraph wasn't a reply to what you wrote :P I try to break away from this habit of quoting someone and then moving on to another matters. Yes it will be interesting to see if Halo can do better along the holidays. And if it doesn't, will X1 sales decline, increase or stay the same? Right now it seems that Halo is not the main reason for majority to buy X1 and that's good.

I Agree.  I don't know what MS were thinking for not putting out a standard bundle.  I guess they plan to do it later on like they did with halo 3.  for your second paragraph, lol, now it makes sense because really, you left me scratching my head.