By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Ops 3 is the biggest entertainment launch of 2015, earns over $550 million in first 3 days

Dark_Feanor said:
No sales numbers brackdown, this is almost word for word the same thing Microsoft said about Halo sales. And you guys realy are assuming hardware revenue is not included.

tsc, tsc, tsc...

That´s so cute.

Off course Activision gets a piece of each bundle sold. Michael Pachter says it MS and Sony have to pay $40-50 for each third party game bundled.

What you said does not imply that hardware revenue is included. Only that revenue from software bundled  with hardware is included. Those are two different things. One of them provide 40-50$ of revenue per unit, the other provides 420$ of revenue per unit.

And FYI, that's what I said in my post. Activision are including revenue from the software bundled with the hardware, but not the hardware itself. And there's nothing that would suggest that revenue from the actual hardware (ie. the remaining 370-380$ after Sony has paid for the copy of BO3) goes to Activision. As a matter of fact, given how this is a release for Activision Investors, I'm not sure if it would even be legal to incldue revenue from hardware bundles without noting it, as that revenue is not Activision's revenue, except those relatively small 40-50$ per unit, which, again, I presume are included with this.

So yeah, it doesn't require much to see that it's pretty clear that this doesn't include hardware.

TL;DR

There's a difference between hardware revenue being included and revenue from software bundled  with hardware.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:

So Activion gets nothing for bundling a game?

We should think better who is hilarious here.

Activision got from Sony his part from the game lol that is about 30% of $60.

But to teach you Activision uses shipment to retail (or Sony) that means they count all copies at $60 because Sony does the bundle not them.

ethomaz said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

Uhh, I really doubt Activision is co-opting Sony's hardware sales, they only get their cut from the copy of the game sold with the unit, not the whole thing.

Hardware is not counted... it is revenue from shipped units to retail like previous CoD PRs.

They are only mad due Halo hilarious PR.

Alright bruh. Let's calm down about the Halo PR. This thread is about Call of duty. Not saying that Halo isn't a good sales comparison to talk about, but all you're doing is bashing the PR.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ethomaz said:
Dark_Feanor said:

So Activion gets nothing for bundling a game?

We should think better who is hilarious here.

Activision got from Sony his part from the game lol that is about 30% of $60.

But to teach you Activision uses shipment to retail (or Sony) that means they count all copies at $60 because Sony does the bundle not them.

Thank you.

Going back to Halo 3. Do you realy belive Halo 3 sold about 4,5mi units (lets include colection and special editions) first week in 2007? So did Halo Reach and Halo 4?

There was no reason them to Microsoft not to use hardware revenue from the 360 bundle back than. In all these cases it´s just PR they don´t need to be expecific. It´s not a financial report, even though the tendency is not sharing units sold/shipped any more, only revenue.

We don´t know how Activision is counting their revenue. And in fact it dosen´t matter. 

Dark_Feanor said:

Thank you.

Going back to Halo 3. Do you realy belive Halo 3 sold about 4,5mi units (lets include colection and special editions) first week in 2007? So did Halo Reach and Halo 4?

There was no reason them to Microsoft not to use hardware revenue from the 360 bundle back than. In all these cases it´s just PR they don´t need to be expecific. It´s not a financial report, even though the tendency is not sharing units sold/shipped any more, only revenue.

We don´t know how Activision is counting their revenue. And in fact it dosen´t matter. 

Halo 3 sold 3.3m units in first month NPD when it was launch in Sep 25th.

Yes MS shipped about 5m WW... that was pretty clear.

BTW about EU and others:

UK ~340k first week
AUS ~50k first week
Germany ~100k first week

Yes Halo 3 shipped over 1 million units to EU/Others too.

I can go ahead.

There is no way MS used hardware in Halo 3 PR... it is too obvious based in the sales data we have.

Around the Network

That's around ~7.5m sold in the first 3 days based on that revenue figure.

Activision are quoting sell through here. 

Well deserved! I'm having so much fun playing all the modes; campaign, mp and zombies. Can't wait to finish the campaign to unlock nightmare mode!

ZhugeEX said:

That looks about right... shipped units to retail.

Better than last year CoD... less than previous CoD.

ethomaz said:
ZhugeEX said:

That looks about right... shipped units to retail.

Better than last year CoD... less than previous CoD.

No. Sold through to end users. 

Sell in will be much higher. 

ZhugeEX said:

No. Sold through to end users. 

Sell in will be much higher.

They used shipped units to retail... it was confirmed in the last two PR about CoD.

I don't think sell in will be that much higher than 8m shipped for example.

8m x $60 = $480m (if you include special edition then you will have close to $550m).