By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think you have to do to get to Heaven?

Squall_Leonhart said:
Whats with all the religious threads these days?? I mean i know the US is a bit overly loving of the whole idea of 'god' but i mean come on... This is a gaming site, not an online church lol

Who forced you to comment on here, or read it for that matter?  If you do not like it then do not respond and move on.  That's simple enough isn't it?

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network
stof said:
BCNR34 said:
I don't understand how any person of moderate intelligence who is capable of independent thought can possibly believe in any form of "god"

darwinism/dawkins/evolution/anti-theism/church of the flying spaghetti monster=win

religion=lose

ignorance/arrogance/insults of a person's entire belief system= lose

Dude, There's a difference between discussing your thoughts on religion and just insulting everyone who believes in some form of higher power.

That's a definite line crossing. Treat your fellow posters with at least some respect.

ignorance? LOL

how can you look at all the problems religion has caused in this world and not be bothered by it? it infuriates me.

As has been said, social norms, and the ideas of right and wrong are very different in different cultures. There are some virtually universal ones, but they're mostly stuff that's required to keep a society running, and probably got figured out by different groups around the world independently from each other.

It's pretty well documented how societies regard behavior that helps the survival of the group as "good", and how important rules often get attributed to sources like gods and mythical heroes to make them seem more important.

Btw, I wouldn't call the prohibition of adultery universal, and a lot of cultures (heck, virtually all of them) endorse some form of hatred.

Btwbtw, kids are most definitely not born with morals, and have to be taught them. Haven't you noticed how kids can be incrediby vicious and well... assholes sometimes? Yeah, that's when they haven't bee indoctrinated with the ideas of right and wrong yet. Luckily most of them learn eventually.

totalwar23 said:
kazadoom said:
totalwar23 said:
kazadoom said:
If all we do is die and that is it, then why were we born with a conscience? Why is there something in us that gives us the ability to determine right from wrong? How does something like that just appear? Don't bother with saying it was just taught to us, because if that is the case, then who taught those who taught us, and so on. The ability to know right and wrong sets us apart from all other beings, so why do we have it?

Except for the fact that right and wrong differs from group to group and is determined by the majority of that group. But if you're asking questions, I might as wel, too. The human race, homo sapiens is how old? I don't know, maybe about of couple of ten of thousands of year and that's not including the other homo species that came an went before us. The earth is 4.5 billion years old. How come it took so damn long for us to emerge?

I agree that there are different rights and wrongs for people, but there are an inherent number of those right and wrongs that are found in everyone. Lying, Stealing, Murder, Hate, Adultery. We are born with these things. Do you have kids? Well, no one had to teach my daughter to lie, and for that matter to run and hide when she did because she knew it was wrong without even having to tell her. It is born in us.

You're looking at those standards today. Not to mention I can't count how many times people lie and say "that's all right, it's just  a white lie, it doesn't hurt anyone." You can also find cases of people stealing, killing, (hate? we all do it), and cheating without any sign of guilt. Just look in prisons across the world. But you're aiming for the majority, right? Well, lets go way back when slavery wasn't a sin. They were just considered property. They could be killed, raped, or beaten by their owners and no one would care. Or death duels, where no crimes were committed even if someone died. Or Viking raiders that loot and kill and they would just sail away celebrating their success. Where were their conscience? They were all born with those inherent things. They couldn't tell it was wrong for them to do it?

Just because people ignore their conscience does not prove that they do not have one.  How do you know that those people did not know what they were doing was wrong.  People celebrate evil all the time even knowing that it is evil.  You are pointing these things out telling me that you have a conscience, so where did yours come from?  Where did our laws come from and who ever knew how to make them if they had no conscience?  How do you know that these people do not have guilt, just because they act as if they do not?  You cannot possibly prove that. 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network
BCNR34 said:
stof said:
BCNR34 said:
I don't understand how any person of moderate intelligence who is capable of independent thought can possibly believe in any form of "god"

darwinism/dawkins/evolution/anti-theism/church of the flying spaghetti monster=win

religion=lose

ignorance/arrogance/insults of a person's entire belief system= lose

Dude, There's a difference between discussing your thoughts on religion and just insulting everyone who believes in some form of higher power.

That's a definite line crossing. Treat your fellow posters with at least some respect.

ignorance? LOL

how can you look at all the problems religion has caused in this world and not be bothered by it? it infuriates me.

I'm oft infuriated myself. But calling a couple Billion people stupid losers does little to help. If anything, it just shows that the alternative isn't much better on the infuriating scale. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

BLOOD. It requires blood and lots of it. Blood of the infidel. Blood of the first born. Blood of the Lamb. Blood of god on a stick. Venerate the BLOOD. That's the way to heaven.

Magnific0 said:
@kazadoom

Morals are subjective.

I would say the only universal thing that people of all cultures agree with is that "doing anything that hurts other people is defined as wrong" (that includes killing, stealing, etc.) And not even that is always "wrong" it all depends. Killing and stealing, for example is considered morally accepted depending the circumstances. It's all subjective.

How could anyone with no knowledge of right or wrong just make it up some day?  Why do animals not act this way?  If right and wrong is all subjective, then how can there even be laws?  How would have people ever universally agreed on these things if everything was subjective to everyone? 

www.goodpersontest.com

kazadoom said:
totalwar23 said:
kazadoom said:
totalwar23 said:
kazadoom said:
If all we do is die and that is it, then why were we born with a conscience? Why is there something in us that gives us the ability to determine right from wrong? How does something like that just appear? Don't bother with saying it was just taught to us, because if that is the case, then who taught those who taught us, and so on. The ability to know right and wrong sets us apart from all other beings, so why do we have it?

Except for the fact that right and wrong differs from group to group and is determined by the majority of that group. But if you're asking questions, I might as wel, too. The human race, homo sapiens is how old? I don't know, maybe about of couple of ten of thousands of year and that's not including the other homo species that came an went before us. The earth is 4.5 billion years old. How come it took so damn long for us to emerge?

I agree that there are different rights and wrongs for people, but there are an inherent number of those right and wrongs that are found in everyone. Lying, Stealing, Murder, Hate, Adultery. We are born with these things. Do you have kids? Well, no one had to teach my daughter to lie, and for that matter to run and hide when she did because she knew it was wrong without even having to tell her. It is born in us.

You're looking at those standards today. Not to mention I can't count how many times people lie and say "that's all right, it's just a white lie, it doesn't hurt anyone." You can also find cases of people stealing, killing, (hate? we all do it), and cheating without any sign of guilt. Just look in prisons across the world. But you're aiming for the majority, right? Well, lets go way back when slavery wasn't a sin. They were just considered property. They could be killed, raped, or beaten by their owners and no one would care. Or death duels, where no crimes were committed even if someone died. Or Viking raiders that loot and kill and they would just sail away celebrating their success. Where were their conscience? They were all born with those inherent things. They couldn't tell it was wrong for them to do it?

Just because there are people that ignore their conscience does not prove that they do not have one. You pointing these things out proves that you have one. Where did yours come from? You are telling me that these people did not know what they were doing was wrong? How can you say that or even prove it? People do wrong because we have the freedom to chose to do so, not because they do have a conscience. If no one has a conscience, then where did our laws come from, who decided one day to determine what was right and wrong and how did he even know?

I do have a conscience but my conscience was shaped in the society that I grew up in. You're trying to prove, nay assert without proving that we are all just born with the same generic beliefs. Take slavery, again. Southerners believed there was nothing wrong with the slaves that they owned and even used passages from the Bible saying that God supported slavery. Take Roman slavery, you think they gave a crap about their slaves? It wasn't in their conscience that beating or killing slaves was wrong because they grew up in a society where it was the norm. Just like Vikings, their ancestors did it before them and their doing it now with their comrades in arms. In their society, it was what you're suppose to do so how could what they were doing was wrong? They did have a conscience, but it was restricted to what their own group thought what was right or wrong. I seem to remember the Pope telling his followers to go into the Holy land and expelled the "Saracens". Those Crusaders went in killing people and thinking they were going to heaven for doing it. You think in their conscience, they thought it was wrong? Now about those laws-no one ever created some final set of laws from day one. New laws get created over time, exisiting laws get more complex or repealed according to the society or state. It just as I said, if you killed a free man, you've committed murder. If you killed a slave, you've destroyed property. Now, would that law be acceptable today? Btw, is there proof for heaven?

BCNR34 said:

religion=lose

So your going to tell me essantially that you can prove there is not life forms that exist in other demisions then the third.

1st I want you to prove to me the number of the deminsions in the universe
2nd prove whether or not the universe is infinite
3rd Give me an accurate assessment of the probablity of life on other panets
4th Expand that to intellegent life form.
5th Then prove whether or not life forms can or can not exist in these other deminsions

Where's Kazs?

Look you can not scientifically prove or disprove god.

Edit: Note these are not my personal beliefs.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1