By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RUMOR: Halo 5 sold 1.4-1.5 Million in US

Angelv577 said:
Aura7541 said:

ODST launched at 1.5 million.

Halo 3, Reach, and 4 launched at 3.2-3.3 million, I believe. Even if we take into account digital sales and give it a generous percentage, it's still a big drop.

So assuming 30% of digital sales on 1.5m, that equal to 1.95m right? that's a huge decline compare to other halo games.  

We know that Halo 5 sold 150K physical copies in the UK, so retail sales in the US/UK range between 1.55 - 1.65 million. To be generous, let's assume Halo 5 sold 1.65 million. I don't like assuming an exact percentage, so I'm going to use a range of 20-30% digital rate. As a result, Halo 5's sales across the US/UK falls between 1.98 - 2.145 million. I have no idea how much it has sold in the ROTW, but it's likely very low. Germany and maybe France are the only other countries where Halo 5 actually sold anything significant.

Snoopy said:

How is battlefront bigger? This is the first game in the series to come out in a long time. Also, Halo 5 is still selling very well just by the numbers we've seen right now (biggest Halo Launch in history). COD:AW had the same amount of sales in its first week for Xbox according to a user and we all know COD sells very well. Sorry, but no exclusive game on playstation or nintendo can match up to what Halo is sale wise.

Biggest Halo launch in history in terms of what? Also, I don't know why Battlefront is bigger, but going off of Abdiel's assessments, it is definitley getting more hype than Halo 5. Amazon also supports that just from looking at how high the bundles are preordering.

Around the Network

For first week or up to this point?

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Aura7541 said:
Angelv577 said:

So assuming 30% of digital sales on 1.5m, that equal to 1.95m right? that's a huge decline compare to other halo games.  

We know that Halo 5 sold 150K physical copies in the UK, so retail sales in the US/UK range between 1.55 - 1.65 million. To be generous, let's assume Halo 5 sold 1.65 million. I don't like assuming an exact percentage, so I'm going to use a range of 20-30% digital rate. As a result, Halo 5's sales across the US/UK falls between 1.98 - 2.145 million. I have no idea how much it has sold in the ROTW, but it's likely very low. Germany and maybe France are the only other countries where Halo 5 actually sold anything significant.

The op source said debut month. Which means it is missing 3 days for the full week. When you add that it will be around 3 million easy world wide in its first week. That is great sales no matter what you say.

Snoopy said:
Aura7541 said:

The op source said debut month. Which means it is missing 3 days for the full week. When you add that it will be around 3 million easy world wide in its first week. That is great sales no matter what you say.

Again, Halo 3 was also tracked for nearly the same anount of days, so Halo 5 missing 3 days for the full week is not a valid excuse. In addition, if sales were around 3 million in it's first week so easily, then Microsoft would have mentioned that in their PR already. However, the company did not.

Mr Puggsly said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Never heard digital sales mentioned so much in a thread.

When we do sales for other games, make sure we stay consistent and keep digital in mind.

Digital is mentioned in many threads.

Given the popularity of Halo and its online focus, its safe to presume this sold more digital copies than most games.

Mentioned yes, but not every other post. It's like all of a sudden digital is very important.

I bet most of the people mentioning digital sales for Halo will quicklty forget about digital with Uncharted 4.

Digital is important so lets remember how much emphasis was put on digital in this thread for future threads.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:

Mentioned yes, but not every other post. It's like all of a sudden digital is very important.

I bet most of the people mentioning digital sales for Halo will quicklty forget about digital with Uncharted 4.

Digital is important so lets remember how much emphasis was put on digital in this thread for future threads.

The thing with digital sales is that their percentage is the highest on Day 1 and then, they decrease over time. I expect nothing different from Halo 5. The digital version costs more than the physical version, so the only incentive to get the game digitally is to buy the LE bundle. However, the bundle is very costly and going off of Abdiel's assessments, Microsoft overshipped the bundle.

Aura7541 said:
Angelv577 said:

Snoopy said:

How is battlefront bigger? This is the first game in the series to come out in a long time. Also, Halo 5 is still selling very well just by the numbers we've seen right now (biggest Halo Launch in history). COD:AW had the same amount of sales in its first week for Xbox according to a user and we all know COD sells very well. Sorry, but no exclusive game on playstation or nintendo can match up to what Halo is sale wise.

Biggest Halo launch in history in terms of what? Also, I don't know why Battlefront is bigger, but going off of Abdiel's assessments, it is definitley getting more hype than Halo 5. Amazon also supports that just from looking at how high the bundles are preordering.

http://www.techspot.com/news/62701-halo-5-guardians-becomes-biggest-launch-franchise-history.html

elektranine said:
cannonballZ said:
I don't see how those numbers are bad. 1-1.5 mil in less than a month? Sounds good to me.

Why is this in Sony discussion?

1.5 million is beyond horrible for a Halo. Halo is Microsoft's largest and most popular IP with hundreds of millions of $ being spent on it every year. If true with so low and a marketing budget like this its going to be a long time before they even break even. Past Halos have sold alot more and with smaller install bases. Maybe Halo is no longer that big and other games have surpassed it in popularity. For comparision Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million in its first 24 hours and the last of us remastered edition sold more than a million in ist first month. Plus microsoft's game tend to be very front loaded and sell most of there lifetime sells within the first 1-2 weeks.

And for their $400 million revenue in a week PR statement they must have included all xbox hardeware not just Halo themed stuff.

I'm pretty sure these are first week and not day one numbers. 

SWORDF1SH said:

Never heard digital sales mentioned so much in a thread.

When we do sales for other games, make sure we stay consistent and keep digital in mind.

Have to always take it into account. Seeing as digital is around %20 marketshare and going up daily. Also with this being the "bestselling game in Xbox store history" hav to doubly take it into account. Digital is big in a year or 3 it will probably have a 30% marketshare on consoles

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Aura7541 said:
Snoopy said:
Aura7541 said:

Again, Halo 3 was also tracked for nearly the same anount of days, so Halo 5 missing 3 days for the full week is not a valid excuse. In addition, if sales were around 3 million in it's first week so easily, then Microsoft would have mentioned that in their PR already. However, the company did not.

If memory serves me correctly, Microsoft never released sales for their Halo games first week. They always talked about revenue because that is what Share holders care about is money.