By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: iPhone Gaming Not Commercially Sound

I think the iPhone would be a fine gaming platform if it only had buttons. The touch screen and accelerometer can only do so much.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

Huh. I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

johntonsoup said:

2. The iPhone is currently the best portable media device. Adding games to it makes it possible to have everything: movies, music, games, directions, etc. and most importantly a phone. Even with Skype, the PSP cannot compete with that except as a low cost, less cool alternative.

Except you don't have to pay $50 a month for your PSP and the PSP has nice controls compared to the iPhone which... doesn't.

Words Of Wisdom said:

Except you don't have to pay $50 a month for your PSP and the PSP has nice controls compared to the iPhone which... doesn't.

Baloney. The monthly charge pays phone calls and an EDGE flatrate (in Europe also a WiFi hotspot flatrate). If you don't want that you can get the iPod Touch for $299 with zero monthly charges. Mark my words: when the PSP2 comes out in say 2009 for say $199, there will already be an iPod Touch at the same pricepoint or cheaper on the market.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

You don't seriously think there will be a PSP2 next year, do you? They haven't even finished emptying the well on the current one. Granted, they are having a hard time scraping anything else out of it at the moment, but I think they probably want to get their current device down to $100 before they consider the next one.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

2 million iPhones against 30 million PSP's and 68 million DS's...... I'd have to agree, it will be a very small market, and the fact that most of those iPhones out there have only 8GB of memory makes it an even smaller market, people will have to choose between movies, music, and games, when on the DS and PSP you don't have to worry about it.

The games will be cool no doubt, but I just don't think the audience is large enough for the iPhone to go down in history as a gaming phone.

reverie said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Baloney. The monthly charge pays phone calls and an EDGE flatrate (in Europe also a WiFi hotspot flatrate). If you don't want that you can get the iPod Touch for $299 with zero monthly charges. Mark my words: when the PSP2 comes out in say 2009 for say $199, there will already be an iPod Touch at the same pricepoint or cheaper on the market.

He is right. The one thing everyone seems to be overlooking is iPod Touch.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

iPod Touch?
This is wishful thinking. And iPod Touch is not iPhone.
These devices are not gaming devices.
Don't expect "complex" games on them to work.
That's because of the lack of battery life and the lack of good usable controls.

Some people need more time to realize various things.
Like that having everything in one device is not usually a good thing.
Thus why I'm not surprised if initially people buy iPhone hoping to do everything the PR says it can. Reality then strikes hard.

That's what I said. It's far too expensive, but you have to leave open the possibility for price cuts. There's also the iPod touch, which surely has the same capabilities.

But I was thinking more of the incredible ease of piracy.

The success of this will probably be a bit higher than for the N-gage , but not much more . Anyone who thinks that it has any chance against the DS/PSP has no clue about pn what premise handhelds are selling ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!