By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5: Guardians sells more than $400 million (games and hardware)

Tagged games:

nanarchy said:
betacon said:
You can easily tell this game didn;t sell close to previous Halo entries other wise they would of said sale numbers.

They NEVER say first week sales numbers, even Halo 3 only provided money numbers and I am sure you aren't going to claim that sold badly are you?

But there are numbers that show this new halo sold less than half what Halo 3 did (from the UK).

Its safe to assume if the trend follows (unless americans and britians have suddenly got really differnt tastes in games), that its the same in the US.

But it doesnt matter, because they made alot of money from hardware+software+microtransactions (400million).

If another big game franchise suddenly sold half what it normally sells... people would be raveing about it in threads.

In here its like its not even acknowledged. I guess until we have actual sales numbers from the US thats fair enough.

Around the Network

That's a good start, congrats! The One's installed base isn't that big yet, so these are good figures overall.

JRPGfan said:
nanarchy said:
betacon said:
You can easily tell this game didn;t sell close to previous Halo entries other wise they would of said sale numbers.

They NEVER say first week sales numbers, even Halo 3 only provided money numbers and I am sure you aren't going to claim that sold badly are you?

But there are numbers that show this new halo sold less than half what Halo 3 did (from the UK).

Its safe to assume if the trend follows (unless americans and britians have suddenly got really differnt tastes in games), that its the same in the US.

But it doesnt matter, because they made alot of money from hardware+software+microtransactions (400million).

If another big game franchise suddenly sold half what it normally sells... people would be raveing about it in threads.

In here its like its not even acknowledged. I guess until we have actual sales numbers from the US thats fair enough.

there are some "estimates" of UK sales, nothing concrete as they don't include digital and we have no idea on digital percentage, and that again still has nothing to do with how MS worded their PR announcement, which is mostly the same way they have done it for all previous halo versions, i.e. in dollar terms.

binary solo said:
Easy calculation 12 million hours in campaign, average time each person spends in campaign = 4hrs (lots of people don't finish the campaign) number of people who play the campaign per game sold is 1.5 thus game sales = 2 million or thereabouts.

This doesn't sound that far off.

nanarchy said:
JRPGfan said:
nanarchy said:
betacon said:

there are some "estimates" of UK sales, nothing concrete as they don't include digital and we have no idea on digital percentage, and that again still has nothing to do with how MS worded their PR announcement, which is mostly the same way they have done it for all previous halo versions, i.e. in dollar terms.

Its just this PR makes it sound like Halo did amasing (game sales wise in number of game sales).

If you only look at that game sales, thats just not true.

It appears to have sold half of what halo 3 did (in the uk).

Thats not relevant to the thread? because its about a PR announcement of revenue?

We re on a site dedicated to game sales.

I feel like its fair to say so, but apperntly no one acknowledges it (you yourself talked around it).

Xbox fans are like "whatever 400million revenue", even if your franchise might have sold half of what it normally does.

If another big franchise suddenly sold half of what it normally does, everyone would be going like... okay thats a  bad sign.

Around the Network

With how few games move 400 million dollars worth of software and hardware total and in many cases across many platforms. Halo 5 did very well moving that in a week. While it's bound to less software than previous versions, it still sold well and will continue to sell and those that bought hardware along with it are going to be spending more on xbox over the next few years.

JRPGfan said:

Its just this PR makes it sound like Halo did amasing (game sales wise in number of game sales).

If you only look at that game sales, thats just not true.

It appears to have sold half of what halo 3 did (in the uk).

Thats not relevant to the thread? because its about a PR announcement of revenue?

We re on a site dedicated to game sales.

I feel like its fair to say so, but apperntly no one acknowledges it (you yourself talked around it).

Xbox fans are like "whatever 400million revenue", even if your franchise might have sold half of what it normally does.

If another big franchise suddenly sold half of what it normally does, everyone would be going like... okay thats a  bad sign.

We don't have any official or accurate numbers out of the UK yet, especially not digital so saying it sold half is silly. Not to mention that if that is correct (not saying it isn't but we have nothing real to base it on yet) then it actually makes the 400m number even more amazing as it means consoles sales must have been astronomical for the week.

BraLoD said:
Reading the thread, seems like the spin was very effective, people just jumping to pure defensiveness and trying to mock people who actually think on what they are reading into... PR doing the job as usual.

And as Cloudman said (even though the spins makes the focus wither away) it deserves praiise by being a very succesful launch. Was MS honest with the sales and not afraid to hide behind spins, it would probably be getting more honest praise, even if the numbers were lower than last main titles.

Very good point.  I try to praise MS when it is due, however that spin made me spin.  But yea, MS does deserve praise for a successful launch, regardless of the game's lower sales compared to previous Halos.  So, congrats.  Just lay off the spin next time. 

nanarchy said:
JRPGfan said:

We don't have any official or accurate numbers out of the UK yet, especially not digital so saying it sold half is silly. Not to mention that if that is correct (not saying it isn't but we have nothing real to base it on yet) then it actually makes the 400m number even more amazing as it means consoles sales must have been astronomical for the week.

^ untrue(we have officual numbers). 

Neogaf check everyone that makes claims about being such and such, and haveing offical numbers.

If your lieing your banned (they have tons of people that actually do have access, and double check their numbers, vs whatever someone claims).

That dude that posted the numbers has obviously been vetted, as being a real person that has access to real numbers.

That ofc doesnt mean he has the digital ones. However its fair to "guess-estimate" how much that is, based on what other games normally sell digitally.

"especially not digital

Common, its safe to use abit of common sense. If all other games on avg sell like 10-20% digitally, WHY? wouldnt you assume Halo did as well?

Halo in the UK sold much much lower than Halo 3 did, even if it had a unsual high amount of digital sales (which it probably didnt).

"then it actually makes the 400m number even more amazing as it means consoles sales must have been astronomical for the week."

Loseing half your typical sales isnt amasing.  The amount of cash they made from everything halo related is pretty good though.

JRPGfan said:

^ untrue(we have officual numbers). 

Neogaf check everyone that makes claims about being such and such, and haveing offical numbers.

If your lieing your banned (they have tons of people that actually do have access, and double check their numbers, vs whatever someone claims).

That dude that posted the numbers has obviously been vetted, as being a real person that has access to real numbers.

That ofc doesnt mean he has the digital ones. However its fair to "guess-estimate" how much that is, based on what other games normally sell digitally.

"especially not digital

Common, its safe to use abit of common sense. If all other games on avg sell like 10-20% digitally, WHY? wouldnt you assume Halo did as well?

Halo in the UK sold much much lower than Halo 3 did, even if it had a unsual high amount of digital sales (which it probably didnt).

"then it actually makes the 400m number even more amazing as it means consoles sales must have been astronomical for the week."

Loseing half your typical sales isnt amasing.  The amount of cash they made from everything halo related is pretty good though.

Given how much Halo has been pushed digitally with digital bonus for preorder etc and bundles with digital copies I would think it is anything but safe to make any assumptions on digital sales numbers. the cash numbers aren't "pretty" good, they are bloody outstanding. I don't get why people feel the need to downplay it, the numbers will come out in the wash eventually as they have for the previous Halo releases as well.