By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Destiny Hits 25 Million Players (Up 5 million in 3 months)

Mr Puggsly said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I'm guessing a lot of people gave away their copies of Destiny. Its useless for those upgrading to Taken King, so that could boost numbers.

No, even if you have the Taken King DLC, you still either need a digital version of vanilla Destiny or the actualt game disc in your disc drive to play the new content. Those who had the vanilla game and previous DLCs bought the Taken King for $40 and still needed to keep their original disc around to keep playing.

I think you're assuming everyone bought a $40 digital copy. I think many that bought a physical copy of Destiny again opted for a physical copy of Taken King.

The original version of Destiny has become cheap. People are probably giving/lending copies to friends. So that's boost numbers.

These numbers don't really mean a lot and for whatever reason Bungie doesn't wanna talk sales.

I don't see why anyone who already has the old game and DLC would buy a new physical copy for $60 when they can get TTK for $40. This is especially because the $60 TTK Legendary edition is just the Vanilla Destiny disc along with DLC codes for the TDB, HoW and TTK expansions.

The people who would buy the new TTK Legendary edition disc are either 1) New to the franchise, or 2) Bought the original vanilla Destiny but not any of its two DLC.

Only the second group of people would give away/sell their old copy of the game and the buy a new TTK physical copy. I can't see this number being too outrageous though. Bringing over people who played Vanilla but did not continue over to the expansions would be tough.

Around the Network
JNK said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I'm guessing a lot of people gave away their copies of Destiny. Its useless for those upgrading to Taken King, so that could boost numbers.

There is also a demo. If you download the demo im pretty sure activision already counts you as an "player".

Yep, I think you're right. I did a little reading about the demo/trial. It actually gives you a lot of content that transfers to the full game.

That's certainly worth counting. Frankly, I'm surprised the 25 million figure isn't higher.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)