By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - World of Warcraft is Bleeding Subscriptions, Down to 5.5 Million - edited

CleggaZ said:
If Activision are really that bothered about active users they could always try porting it to consoles/mobile.

Really though it is pretty amazing that decade old game still has 5.5 million subscribers, so Im sure there pretty happy about that.

There was a console version of the game announced a good few years ago.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/World_of_Warcraft:_The_Molten_Core

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

They should be happy they have those numbers. This game is older than two console generations. Bitch if they ever reach 1 million subs.

At this point, the amount of active players is far, far below that. I know several people who still have their accounts active, but never login more than once/month if at all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

ganoncrotch said:
Teeqoz said:
On the other hand, it's approaching 1 billion in annual microtransaction revenue, so they sort of have a back plan.

With the WoW tokens in play a lot of people (including myself) are now going with the gold subscriptions, ie I use gold to pay for gametime rather than money since the state the game is atm is definitely not worth a financial investment for gametime.

What that means tho is that while I'm just paying gold to pay, someone else who is more flush than I with cash and wants in game gold is buying 30 day subs for €20 rather than the €12 it should cost and selling them to me for ingame currency, the end result of which is not only are blizzard able to hold onto some players this way, but they also make €8 more from those players in a roundabout way per month, and can offer a gameplay experience right now which isn't worth a paid subscription in the eyes of a lot more players than have left.

Those WoW tokens are genius from Activision imo, useful and very profitable.

Very interesting piece of math. Thou even without it, IMO WoW is aging wonderfully...well, at least money-wise.

CU......or CF ?