By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 4 Review Thread - MC: 87/ GR: 88.32%

Tagged games:

Huh, I predicted 85, not that far away.

Around the Network
Sharpryno said:
So right on par with Halo 5. Reviews are a bit tougher since last gen. This is a good thing. The people saying you need a 90+ to be game of the year contender are hilarious.

Not relay they arent,  Withcer 3, Bloodborne and Metal Gear all had Metas above 90 but Fallout 4 will get the prizes anyway cause GoTys are generaly based more on popularity than anything and none can compete with Fallout 4 on that. If I had to review Fallout 4 itd go liek this:

Ive been playing a lot of the game its a fun game but there are technical issues and the game is basicaly Skyrim with a firearm. Quests all boil down to go to X place and kill stuf there or retrieve something there and the game is all about entering random places you find and killing stuf (usualy the same few enemy models, Ive probably killed 2 million raiders by now and 1 million super mutants and another million Ghouls, exactly like Skyrim altough Skyrim thing was vampires and those undead I forgot the name). The main quest is very simple and shallow, your main character dont realy have any character development and the companions are just there for the ride, having very simple sidequests, basicaly no development and hardly ever even interacting or getting acknowledged by the ppl you interact with.

The gameplay however is fun, and I cant put my fingers in exactly why its fun, I couldnt for Skyrim either, all I know is It makes for an enjoyable game overall despite its many shortcomings, but I seriously think it falls way short of how ppl generaly evaluate this game, its my first Fallout game ever (Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls) so Im not getting influenciated by past experiences for good or for worse here, Im not gona say its overated cause thats just dumb, the rating of something is based on general consensus, its not for me to decide, but my personal opinion is that its a 7, I can have fun with it but Id play somethign else given the oportunity  (meaning Id be playing Tomb Raider if I had an XOne). 

One of the greatest things about current gen Fallouts are the locales: if you are familiar with the physical places (I've spent a lot of time in DC, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, the Mall, and other replaces in Fallout 3.), the game is equally haunting and horrifying. Given the size of the audience, this is a connection easily missed.

Insidb said:
One of the greatest things about current gen Fallouts are the locales: if you are familiar with the physical places (I've spent a lot of time in DC, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, the Mall, and other replaces in Fallout 3.), the game is equally haunting and horrifying. Given the size of the audience, this is a connection easily missed.

I'm not familiar with the real life places but it's haunting enough for me and a lot of fun to explore. Supermarkets, schools, stores, office buildings, research stations, factory buildings, or whole cities are all a lot more familiar to build a mental model from than winding caves. And also a lot easier to embellish in your mind. The lines with GTA even get blurred now and then, last night I was hitching a ride down a skyscraper on a window cleaner cradle.

Bethesda is great at making a world where you always keep wondering what's around the next corner. They do add too many corners though as usual. Just as in any other open world I'm starting to notice repetition of elements. Deja vu with building layouts etc, although it's less of a problem with a game based on real life buildings. I also like the little stories in all the terminals around and that your attackers are polite enough to freeze until you're done reading :) The office banter in the terminal emails and logs is also more recognizable than some fantasy setting.

I would give Fallout 4 an 8.5.
Fallout New vegas gets the nod for story lines, Fallout 3 for side quets. Fallout 4 has the best map to explore.
Maybe one day they can get all the best elements in 1 game.

SvennoJ said:
Insidb said:

I'm not familiar with the real life places but it's haunting enough for me and a lot of fun to explore. Supermarkets, schools, stores, office buildings, research stations, factory buildings, or whole cities are all a lot more familiar to build a mental model from than winding caves. And also a lot easier to embellish in your mind. The lines with GTA even get blurred now and then, last night I was hitching a ride down a skyscraper on a window cleaner cradle.

Bethesda is great at making a world where you always keep wondering what's around the next corner. They do add too many corners though as usual. Just as in any other open world I'm starting to notice repetition of elements. Deja vu with building layouts etc, although it's less of a problem with a game based on real life buildings. I also like the little stories in all the terminals around and that your attackers are polite enough to freeze until you're done reading :) The office banter in the terminal emails and logs is also more recognizable than some fantasy setting.

I would give Fallout 4 an 8.5.
Fallout New vegas gets the nod for story lines, Fallout 3 for side quets. Fallout 4 has the best map to explore.
Maybe one day they can get all the best elements in 1 game.

It was quite harrowing to see post apocalyptic versions of locales I knew, I saw, and I walked through. I've been to MA several times (I'm from NY) and can say that Boston sucks (jk, RedSux fans ;). I know the BC, MIT, Cambridge, and downtown areas fairly well, just not like I know DC and MD. I never played New Vegas and I have been there, too, so that may need to be done. What would you do if the next one was in NY? The corners would kill you lol!