By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Trekkers of Vgchartz, do you secretly hope that the new Star Wars movie does bad? I propose a strike of the movie

I don't really care, honestly. I like both franchises, however, Star Wars has absolutely lost a great deal of luster given the 3 most recent movies. In that sense, my expectations could not be any lower for the new film, though, I do think they'd have to really try hard to do worse than what Lucas did.

And yes, I realize 1-3 sold well etc..., I don't really care about that either, nor do I care about how much the new ST's sold/did at the BO. I never see any of that money, so all I care about is whether the films are good. The last 3 SW's were not, the last two ST's were (in my humble opinion).

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
mornelithe said:
I don't really care, honestly. I like both franchises, however, Star Wars has absolutely lost a great deal of luster given the 3 most recent movies. In that sense, my expectations could not be any lower for the new film, though, I do think they'd have to really try hard to do worse than what Lucas did.

And yes, I realize 1-3 sold well etc..., I don't really care about that either, nor do I care about how much the new ST's sold/did at the BO. I never see any of that money, so all I care about is whether the films are good. The last 3 SW's were not, the last two ST's were (in my humble opinion).

I absolutely loved the last two ST's. Especially the last one which was just amazing and actually like the original, made me misty eyed.

Oh yeah, I definitely shed a tear or two at the end.  I really like Chris Pine, as Kirk.  He was great in Bottle Shock.  I wasn't sold on the whole reboot the timeline thing, but, I'd be lying if I said they couldn't have been hugely worse.  Granted, the way I'm saying it doesn't seem like a great endorsement, but...it's hard to capture the same kind of mystique these movies/franchises had as a child growing up with them, now that I'm in my mid-late 30's.  Know what I mean?

No, I hope it's a worthy successor, sells great and shows Star Trek how respecting the spirit of the source material, and not just names/characters/tech, makes a better film.

spurgeonryan said:
mornelithe said:

Oh yeah, I definitely shed a tear or two at the end.  I really like Chris Pine, as Kirk.  He was great in Bottle Shock.  I wasn't sold on the whole reboot the timeline thing, but, I'd be lying if I said they couldn't have been hugely worse.  Granted, the way I'm saying it doesn't seem like a great endorsement, but...it's hard to capture the same kind of mystique these movies/franchises had as a child growing up with them, now that I'm in my mid-late 30's.  Know what I mean?

After my dad separated from my Mom I would spend every other weekend with him watching movies of the 80's at his trailer. Does not sound that amazing, but looking back on it I loved it all. The 80's will always have a special place in my heart, and that goes for Star Trek movies as well. I am also in my mid 30's and know exactly what you mean. I just hope my love of movies will cross over to my children.

People bond in what some may think are odd circumstances.  One of the best, most deep times of conversation I ever had with my Father was during an 8 hour drive to Buffalo to attend his mother's funeral.  So, I can certainly relate to that.  Nothing strange about it, honestly.  The late 70's early 80's had some absolutely fantastic scifi for me, growing up.  So I'm with you there, definitely have a fond remembrance for that timeframe.

I like both, but I like Trek more. However, I don't like JJ Abrams Star Trek movies.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

I think it will probably pass a billion but not hit Age of Ultron levels or pass $2bn. A lot of damage was done to the brand with the prequel trilogy, that's not to say it couldn't hit $1.5/2bn with future ones but they need to build this thing up the way they did with the Marvel Cinematic Universe where the films did significantly better and better with each one. This film has to be excellent, as do it's follow ups. People need to know that if they sit in the cinema for 3 hours they're not going to feel burned like they did before.

Either way, looking forwards to Trek 3. I enjoyed Into Darkness even with the recycled Khan plot, but the last 15 minutes were absolutely terrible imo.

Star trek reboot is mediocre as well. But don't worry, I've only gone out to the cinema for Interstellar. Star wars has no chance.

I like both franchises, but Star Wars holds more childhood memories for me. Especially the original unaltered trilogy.

Hate to break it to you, but Episode VII will blow past $1B and probably do close to $2B worldwide, whether its amazing or terrible.

But then again, those numbers really aren't that impressive when you look at the huge steaming pile of $hit that is the current top 10 grossing films worldwide...

Highest-grossing films[13]
Rank Peak Title Worldwide gross Year Reference(s)
1 1 Avatar $2,787,965,087 2009 [# 1][# 2]
2 1 Titanic $2,186,772,302 1997 [# 3][# 4]
3 3 Jurassic World $1,665,443,636 2015 [# 5][# 6]
4 3 The Avengers $1,519,557,910 2012 [# 7][# 8]
5 4 Furious 7 $1,514,827,481 2015 [# 9][# 10]
6 5 Avengers: Age of Ultron $1,402,805,868 2015 [# 11][# 10]
7 3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,341,511,219 2011 [# 12][# 13]
8nb1 5 Frozen $1,279,852,693 2013 [# 14][# 15]
9 5 Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994 2013 [# 16][# 17]
10 10 Minions $1,154,357,663 2015 [# 18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_films

We know about Dances With Smurfs and Iceberg Right Ahead! already in that list... but Jurrasic World?  Both Avengers movies?  FURIOUS 7???????

Episode VII will easily be the best of that bunch, hands down.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

What? Why would you forbid people from going to the new Star Wars? I'm a Star Wars fan, but I went to see both new Star Trek films in the cinéma and I enjoyed them. This kind of fanboyism is BS anyway.