By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank - Clank Gameplay trailer

Trunkin said:
Wait, wtf? The game is only 30fps? Wasn't the original R&C 60?

Yes, it was also 480p. Not that that matters since this isn't a remake of the first game. This is a reimagining of the first game very loosely following the movie's adaptation of the first game's plot. Don't expect the first game here, especially since it's sort of been the main marketing point of the game to note that it's "a game based on the movie based on the game."

The big reason is Insomniac doesn't care about FPS anymore since they don't do online/FPS-intensive games right now; they haven't since the Ratchet team split off into the North Carolina studio. They also don't have the budget to worry about it in this case, considering they shared a budget of $40 million with the movie and considering the game is being sold at $40. The fact that it even looks this good is probably a miracle considering the budget. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
Trunkin said:

The original games were... sort of 60 FPS. There were frame drops constantly. Like it would drop from 60 down to 15 from time to time.

The game is still the most visually beautiful game since... any game. It will almost certainly be a day one purchase for me.

I really, really hope that this game marks a return to form for Insomniac. They really haven't made a truly great game since A Crack in Time.

patronmacabre said:
Trunkin said:

The original games were... sort of 60 FPS. There were frame drops constantly. Like it would drop from 60 down to 15 from time to time.

The game is still the most visually beautiful game since... any game. It will almost certainly be a day one purchase for me.

I really, really hope that this game marks a return to form for Insomniac. They really haven't made a truly great game since A Crack in Time.

Did you play Into the Nexus? I'd argue that was better in most ways than the mostly bland CiT. The only drawback was that it was slightly shorter, but even then my first (100%) CiT run was only two hours longer than my 100% ItN run. CiT's length is pretty much the reason Ratchet can't run classic gameplay at $60 anymore, as enjoyable as CiT was at time. 

Also, I've rarely heard of the kind of severe frame drop issues you're describing in the PS2 tetralogy, outside of the Endzone challenge (and some other crazy challenges) in Deadlocked. I can think of maybe a few times it'd drop to 40ish at certain points in UYA and I think one in GC, but the first game was solid everywhere unless you're actively trying to cause a drop with the RYNO. The games as a whole were known for being pretty solid though.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:

Did you play Into the Nexus? I'd argue that was better in most ways than the mostly bland CiT. The only drawback was that it was slightly shorter, but even then my first (100%) CiT run was only two hours longer than my 100% ItN run. CiT's length is pretty much the reason Ratchet can't run classic gameplay at $60 anymore, as enjoyable as CiT was at time. 

Also, I've rarely heard of the kind of severe frame drop issues you're describing in the PS2 tetralogy, outside of the Endzone challenge (and some other crazy challenges) in Deadlocked. I can think of maybe a few times it'd drop to 40ish at certain points in UYA and I think one in GC, but the first game was solid everywhere unless you're actively trying to cause a drop with the RYNO. The games as a whole were known for being pretty solid though.

I will admit, I didn't play Into the Nexus, since I never really heard any particularly great things about it. Though I will definitely check it out at some point.

Having played the classic Ratchet and Clanks rather recently, there were quite a few things that caused frame rate drops -- namely particle effects and explosions. Also, any time there was green slime involved (usually with the amoeboids), the framerate would crash horribly.

That said, even though they were linnear and the Jak and Daxters were open world, I still think the Ratchet and Clanks were better optimized for the PS2. If you go back and play the Jak and Daxters, you will be absolutely appalled by the amount of screen tearing.

Can't wait to play this game...and then again on new game +...and again...and again until I have all the weapons upgraded.

Around the Network
patronmacabre said:
DivinePaladin said:

I will admit, I didn't play Into the Nexus, since I never really heard any particularly great things about it. Though I will definitely check it out at some point.

Having played the class Ratchet and Clanks rather recently, there were quite a few things that caused frame rate drops -- namely particle effects and explosions. Also, any time there was green slime involved (usually with the amoeboids), the framerate would crash horribly.

That said, even though they were linnear and the Jak and Daxters were open world, I still think the Ratchet and Clanks were better optimized for the PS2. If you go back and play the Jak and Daxters, you will be absolutely appalled by the amount of screen tearing.

A large group of fans ignores ItN because it came out quietly four days before the PS4 but it's absolutely wonderful. I definitely recommend it since it goes for $15 nowadays and most of those copies probably still include that Quest for Booty download code (which is $15 by itself).

The frame rate thing is interesting though. I only played 1 not more than a few months ago and it ran like a dream on PS2 (and the HD port on PS3, for that matter, though the later games didn't get such a clean upscale since Sony cut the development time at the last minute). The amoeboids on Rilgar were one of the places where I would see problems though, especially in the section where the Shady Salesman is hiding out. But nothing to an extreme outside of that area. I'll have to look into that some more.

And yeah, the Jak games have a lot of problems in my eyes, the least of which was graphical issues; I never played them on PS2, despite owning them on both PS2 and 3. I hold more of an issue with how short Jak 1 is, how much of a broken mess 2 is, and how hard 3 struggles to try to make a good game while fixing 2's existence. I like 1 and 3 quite a bit, don't get me wrong, but 2 really damaged the series in many ways to me. Plus, Jak X refuses to run. No matter what PS2 I use or how many different discs I try, that game was just really shittily made physically speaking. The discs just refuse to work, and it's a shame because see I really enjoy the tiny bit I've played before it freezes and corrupts my data.

But I digress! Ratchet is definitely much more optimized, perhaps to a fault. If you've never seen it and are interested, check out uselesspodcasts' LP of the series. They worked as testers on GC and devs on UYA, so they have some really cool insider details on just how hellish it was to fit every little bit of data onto the UYA disc, how they had to hack the EULA online to patch bugs after launch, how they had to physically print the discs dozens of times to make the game load everything on time (especially hard was the change made retroactively on old levels when the Tyrrhanoids are turned into robots), et alia. It's such a cool insight into just how close UYA was to being a complete mess if their bubblegum and tape solutions didn't pan out, and helps show why UYA had so many problems when ported to PS3. Again, I digress. I can go on forever with this sort of stuff. 

Looks good. Shame about the framerate.

The graphics are ridiculously good.