By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official NX Discussion Thread

Soundwave said:
bdbdbd said:

Disney, Apple and Sony have very different approaches; Disney is purely a content company and distributes it's own production free of platform. Apple is a service-orientated company that distributes others' content on it's own service. Sony is a content and service company that distributes it's own content and others' content via it's own service and others' service (sans Playstation).

The problem with adopting Apple model is Nintendo's strong first party. It's easy for Apple to get content creators on it's own service because it doesn't have a first party that would lead the service/hardware development regardless of what the third parties think. This is also a strength for Google and Microsoft (to an extent). 

The problem with Sony model would be to distribute Nintendo's content to other platforms, meaning that Nintendo wouldn't make content just to boost sales of it's own service.

What is the Nintendo model then? It's the current model used in game consoles. The difference between Atari model and Nintedo model is that the platform holder has control over what content to be released on the said platform.

Exactly, Disney is very different. I don't have to purchase a "Disney platform" to enjoy Star Wars if that's all I want and I don't give two craps about Mickey Mouse or Pixar movies. With Nintendo I have to buy a propietary set of Nintendo hardware even if I only care about say Metroid and don't give a hoot about Super Mario or Kirby or Yoshi or Donkey Kong or Pikachu. 

Nintendo is never going to be Apple either, they can't even hang with Sony right now, Apple is waaaaaaay out of their weight class.  

Also I don't think Sony is in any rush to ditch dedicated home consoles for streaming services since they're doing just fine and dandy kicking both Nintendo and MS' butts, I don't see why they would want to alter that dynamic in any way. Barring a controller miracle and Sony doing something very stupid (like making a $600 console), all Nintendo and MS have proven in the last 15 years is they can't beat a Playstation console. 

I wasn't trying to imply Nintendo would be as big or successful as Disney+Apple, I'm saying their strategy is to be somewhat of a mix between them. The strong IP that can be used in many different types of media (games, toys, cards, mobile apps, theme park atttactions, movies, television series, etc) similar to Disney and the self-contained hardware ecosystem of unified devices similar Apple. Again, I'm not saying Nintendo is going to be as big as Disney+Apple, just that their strategy is to be similar to a mix between those two companies.

I know Sony isn't going to ditch dedicated gaming hardware in the immediate future, I actually even said that, but say 7-10 years down the road? Ya it's very possible Playstation will expand to become more of a service than a single individual product, u have even said the same thing multiple times in the past. Of course Sony is going to finish out this generation with PS4 and probably have another generation of dedicated gaming consoles with PS5.

I don't think Sony is just content to fight head to head with Microsoft over the same audience that hasn't really grown in over a decade. PS2+XB=about 180 million, PS3+360=about out 180 million, PS4+XB1=probably around 180 million (PS4-125m, XB1-55m seems likely). It's a market that hasn't really shown any significant growth since the turn of the century and I think Sony wants more than just fight for a stagnant, niche market.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Exactly, Disney is very different. I don't have to purchase a "Disney platform" to enjoy Star Wars or Iron Man if that's all I want and I don't give two craps about Mickey Mouse or Pixar movies. With Nintendo I have to buy a propietary set of Nintendo hardware even if I only care about say Metroid and don't give a hoot about Super Mario or Kirby or Yoshi or Donkey Kong or Pikachu. 

Nintendo is never going to be Apple either, they can't even hang with Sony right now, Apple is waaaaaaay out of their weight class.  

Also I don't think Sony is in any rush to ditch dedicated home consoles for streaming services since they're doing just fine and dandy kicking both Nintendo and MS' butts, I don't see why they would want to alter that dynamic in any way. Barring a controller miracle and Sony doing something very stupid (like making a $600 console), all Nintendo and MS have proven in the last 15 years is they can't beat a Playstation console. 

Nintendo can make good money as a top smartphone game producer and augment that with OK profits from NX and increased licensing of their properties though ... but taking on the likes of Disney or Apple, lol, forget it. I think Playstation 5 will likely still trample the console NX unless Sony does something really stupid. 

Ok... Not sure if you're trolling or not, odds are for the trolling. But anyway: As you can see, all the console manufacturers do the opposite to Disney. Even Playstation isn't using the Sony model that would mean releasing games on competitors products and licensing hardware for other manufacturers. I don't know if NX thread is the right thread to complain about Nintendo doing something everyone does these days.

It's actually the opposite what the last 15 years have proven, it has showed Sony's vulnerability. First by DS giving a beating to PSP and then Wii giving a beating to PS3. On top of that, SCE went bancrupt a couple of years ago (it's amazing how Hirai managed to get the PS brand back on it's feet), so if you think Nintendo is doing badly at the moment, they're doing great compared to SCE during the PS3 era, and in reality Nintendo is in the best position for the next few years, as Sony and MS are locked with their current consoles. Not only PS brand have suffered, but also Walkman. What happened to Minidisc? Sony's mobile phones have gone down the gutter aswell. Sony's TV's, remember that one? How many games studios Sony have closed?

Nintendo isn't Apple because the two have very different goals and do things differently. Iwata had an Iphone because Nintendo and Apple are too different for directly competing. Ever since Steve Jobs returned to Apple, Apple have been following Sony. The music players and online distribution channel hit Sony's wallet directly. Now with all the IOS devices, it's hitting the Playstation directly. Now with Google coming in to the race, it looks like Apple follows what Sony does, Sony follows what Google does and Google follows what Apple does, with each trying to get an upper hand over the other. And in the middle of everything is Microsoft that everyone wants to dethrone.

The reason why I was thinking if Nintendo is going to adopt (or adapt) the Sony model, is if Nintendo is plans to license NX to outside manufacturers. It wouldn't be the first time, as Mattel manufactured the NES back in the 80's, the Ique player is licensed for Chinese company in China, Panasonic Q was a Gamecube made by Matsushita (Panasonic). In that way you could have your NX in a smart TV, dedicated console, a handheld, a BD player, HDR, refrigerator, dishwasher, automobile, smartphone etc. That would be a model similar to what Iwata described.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

zorg1000 said:

I don't think Sony is just content to fight head to head with Microsoft over the same audience that hasn't really grown in over a decade. PS2+XB=about 180 million, PS3+360=about out 180 million, PS4+XB1=probably around 180 million (PS4-125m, XB1-55m seems likely). It's a market that hasn't really shown any significant growth since the turn of the century and I think Sony wants more than just fight for a stagnant, niche market.

I don't think the 8th generation of home consoles is going to sell that many units. I'd say 120 million max. Having the X86 platform benefits PC more than anything in a long time, so you might see more people choosing PC as their gaming platform. And not only that, the smart devices, such as tablets, are eating away a large chunck of PS4/X1 sales.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
zorg1000 said:

I don't think the 8th generation of home consoles is going to sell that many units. I'd say 120 million max. Having the X86 platform benefits PC more than anything in a long time, so you might see more people choosing PC as their gaming platform. And not only that, the smart devices, such as tablets, are eating away a large chunck of PS4/X1 sales.

Well if that's the case than it kinda supports what I said, Sony won't be content to fight over a market that is either stagnant or declining.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

@Zorg: Well, yes. That's how I'd see it too. If Sony had confidence in the market, it hadn't released an underpowered PS4 that would be sold at a profit, but a loss-leading one with higher specs. And not only that, but Sony isn't planning on releasing a new handheld, so I'd say their faith in the gaming market overall is rather low.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network

This is kinda random but it would be cool if NX was the first Nintendo console (or maybe the only one so far) that had a hibernate function for either the home or handheld format. And no, the DS, 3DS, or GamePad sleep mode doesn't count. I mean the real deal, where you can turn off the game and system and turn it back on to where you exactly left off.

zorg1000 said:
DélioPT said:
I really hope NX home console is more than a "Apple TV".
They need to improve their image amongst the XBox and PS fans.

How exactly do they do that though? They can't just make a box around the same power as PS4/XB1 and expect their fans to come crawling to play the same their current console already plays. Making a vastly more powerful console than PS4/XB1 would make it way too expensive and the power wouldn't even be properly used since it would still just be multiplat titles that are on PS4/XB1 coming to it. Nintendo exclusives won't do the trick because it's not like the people who are buying consoles for shooters/open-world/sports games are going to choose NX over PS4/XB1 because of Mario/Donkey Kong/Kirby/etc.

I just don't see how making PS/XB fans the top priority is going to help Nintendo in any way whatsoever.

It isn't just a matter of power.
NX can be a visibly more powerful console than PS4 by 2016, but more important than that, what they need is create a market for 3rd parties and that won't happen with Mario, Zelda, etc.
For example, had Splatoon been a launch title and more copies of CoD games would have sold on Wii U because Splatoon would have brought in more shooter fans at that time.

If they can create several games in the FPS, 3PS, Racing, etc. genres, that will create a different image of what NX "stands for"; if they manage to create a library full of the great Nintendo franchises + 3rd party type of games i doubt that 3rd parties wouldn't be willing to give it a more serious change and gamers alike.
It would be the console with the best of both worlds.

If you look at past generations you'll see that the newcomers never went after Nintendo's market, they all went for a more cool/adult gamer approach. Not because Nintendo was unbeatable, but because they realized that the real market was untapped and never truly bothered to (also) go after Nintendo's market. In other words, between the two markets, Sega, Sony, MS, all went the Nintendo route and it paid off (Sega had more managing problems than anything else).

About what i said, a smaller shape does give the impression of an even more underpowered home console. An image Nintendo can live without!

menx64 said:
I am glad there is an NX thread so I can follow all news and discussions here. New console times is always too exciting!

Now on NX... I work for a very big networking company that has ties to Nintendo, mostly I have seen BoMs for NOA... Believe me when I say, I have done my best researching internal information to find anything about NX... No luck yet... But I will keep the good fight!!

Damn! But I know they will leak to you something soon! Maybe next year after the official announcement some new details can be shared!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

bdbdbd said:
DélioPT said:

And why in the hell would they need to do that? First thing Nintendo needs to do is to improve their image amongst the Nintendo fans. If there already are two consoles doing a job, why would you need one more. Essentially it would be exactly what they doing doing with the Wii U, as opposed to Wii, and look where It got Nintendo.

Problem is they never went the core gamer route with Wii U. They said they would, but their own output just didn't back that up. After all the fuss around shooters last gen, where was the great Nintendo shooter at launch or soon after? Not even Metroid.
They did go with a Wii type solution - specially during the first one/two years and look what that got them: market apathy towards the brand and games.

They need to please those gamers not to become a 3rd player in that market but to sustain themselves: they are pratically gone in the HC segment and in the handheld department they are bound to decrease further with time.
They can't just close their eyes to reality and pretend they can live off the Nintendo fans. They do that now because of 2/3 gens of kids who were raised with Nintendo games. And now that kids are starting to grow with mobile games the first ones to suffer won't be Sony or MS, it will be Nintendo - who has a hold on that kid/family segment.

Going after that core gamer segment allows them to diversify and grow.

Pavolink said:
DélioPT said:

The more they are like Apple, the best they are going to sell.

What do they have to offer to consumers that makes them worthwhile? Looks and appearances won't cut it.

DélioPT said:It isn't just a matter of power.

NX can be a visibly more powerful console than PS4 by 2016, but more important than that, what they need is create a market for 3rd parties and that won't happen with Mario, Zelda, etc.
For example, had Splatoon been a launch title and more copies of CoD games would have sold on Wii U because Splatoon would have brought in more shooter fans at that time.

If they can create several games in the FPS, 3PS, Racing, etc. genres, that will create a different image of what NX "stands for"; if they manage to create a library full of the great Nintendo franchises + 3rd party type of games i doubt that 3rd parties wouldn't be willing to give it a more serious change and gamers alike.
It would be the console with the best of both worlds.

If you look at past generations you'll see that the newcomers never went after Nintendo's market, they all went for a more cool/adult gamer approach. Not because Nintendo was unbeatable, but because they realized that the real market was untapped and never truly bothered to (also) go after Nintendo's market. In other words, between the two markets, Sega, Sony, MS, all went the Nintendo route and it paid off (Sega had more managing problems than anything else).

About what i said, a smaller shape does give the impression of an even more underpowered home console. An image Nintendo can live without!

You shouldn't think it in terms of being better or worse, but in terms of being different. What Nintendo really fucked up with Wii U is the software, that is made to appeal the type of customer who isn't interested in it.

Do you know why the newcomers focused on that market? It was an already established market. The same kids that had NES as little kids were the target of Sega's marketing as little older kids and as teenagers they were the target of Sony's marketing. What did the adults do after the NES? Played on their PC's. If SNES had been NES 2, it would have tapped the adults market, unlike SNES did, that tried to focus on the same group of NES kids that Megadrive did, but MD already had established the market forcing Nintendo to battle Sega uphill.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.