By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Twilight Princess HD look like the E3 2011 Tech Demo?

?

It will be equal 31 14.83%

It will look better 37 17.70%

It will look worse 83 39.71%

It won't be a remake, just an eShop port 28 13.40%

TP HD isn't happening 29 13.88%

Total:208
Nuvendil said:

Well, the issue is that this demo also has some very fancy effects going on.  All the particles and the lighting and real time reflections.  Skyrim already has decent lighting and effects for its time, making them better - even quite better from an objective standard - won't show as drastically as adding said effects to TP which had vastly inferior effects compared to other games of its time.  It's the old diminishing returns thing.  So when looking at Skyrim enhancements, you have to keep that in mind.  TP has early Wii grade lighting and textures so making those current gen will have a huge impact.  Skyrim has mid to late seventh gen textures and lighting, so enhancements won't show as much.  Though you can still enhance things a good bit.

This http://www.nextpowerup.com/img/2014/06-08/9439-64838681.jpg looks considerably better than this http://cdnstatic.bethsoft.com/akqacms/files/tes/screenshots/LakeMountains_wLegal.jpg , and that's just some random pic, not even the best I've seen.  It's just, again, a matter of diminishing returns.  Those textures are all much higher and the lighting and such improved but the base was already at a significantly higher level than TP.  But anyway, this is getting close to off topic :P

No, you're most likely right. I wasn't really trying to say that they didn't exist - more that I've never noticed such a drastic difference. And trust me, I've looked. Being as scholastically into game design as I am leads to hour long spans of Skyrim-mod youtube binges from time to time.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Alkibiádēs said:

SMG2 was just a release on the VC, it was released alongside Metroid Prime Trilogy, Donkey Kong Country: Returns, Punch-Out, etc.

Yeah. That's my point. They could have put some effort into it and made it an HD port, since it's Mario's 30th anniversary.

It had nothing to do with Mario's 30th anniversary.

But they knew that it was Mario's 30th anniversary. So they could have given it an HD upgrade for that reason.
Because you're arguing that they should go all out on the Zelda TP port because it's Zelda's 30th anniversary.

Who says TP HD hasn't been in development since 2013? MM 3D started development right after OoT 3D was finished  and only released this year. This might be the project Tantalus has been talking about, which has been in development for quite a while. Nintendo has loads of money in the bank, the budget for a TP remake wouldn't even phaze them.

The difference is that it hasn't been announced yet. Meaning that even if it was a fullblown remake, Nintendo could move production over to NX, without upsetting anyone. And due to how things are currently with the WiiU, people are more inclined to get upset. (See the post-E3 reactions from many Nintendo fans for example.) If it was a remake, making it cross platform will hold back the game's performance, similar to Twilight Princess on Wii, because it was also a Gamecube game.

And the screen you showed looks unacceptable for a retail release in 2016.

First of all, this is only Dolphin, and the game would look better if Nintendo actually worked on it, as I've stated before. And that it wouldn't be acceptable is only your opinion. And one that's contradicted by several other HD titles from Gen 6. It honestly looks like you don't understand what HD remasters actually look like, since you commented on how blurry my screens were. No matter what the screenshot I posted looks like, if you understood what Dolphin does to the games, or what HD remasters look like, the last thing you would assume about an HD remaster is that it would look blurry, because that's exactly what an HD port is not. So you seem to base your opinion on a lack of knowledge of HD remasters, and before you even see what Nintendo do with it when they actually work on it, rather than just let an emulator upgrade it automatically.
And who said anything about a retail release? The datacrawling that located Twilight Princess HD was on the Nintendo e-shop. That's all we know right now. That it will be on the e-shop. Nothing about a retail release.

Just because something is upscaled to 720p doesn't mean textures can't be blurry anymore... I've watched loads of games on dolphin and TP is not a looker amongst the ones I saw. Metroid Prime 3 and the Galaxy games could get away with HD ports and some slight texture rework, but TP sure as hell can't. Nintendo isn't going to make an HD port to one of their biggest games and then not give a retail release to it.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Hiku said:
Alkibiádēs said:

No, it looks terrible, even on dolphin. The game could easily be ported to NX later on, thus it would be worth the investment. I can barely make out what's going on in those pictures, such blurry textures. Nintendo needs a way to soften the blow for Wii U owners when they announce that Zelda U will launch on the NX first and only later on the Wii U. Super Mario Galaxy was just a VC re-release, TP has HD in the title. And what resources would Nintendo even spend? Just hire a third party studio to do the work for you. You know what other games are coming to the Wii U in 2016? Pokken Tournament, a third party collaboration with Bandai Namco. Genei Ibun Roku #FE, a third party collaboration with Atlus. Star Fox: Zero, a third party collaboration with Platinum. Third party studios are carrying the Wii U through 2016. Twilight Princess sold more than Ocarina of Time anyway. Super Mario Maker is quite a good game to celebrate Mario's 30th anniversary, so I don't understand why you bring that up.

Because they are screenshots from a Youtube clip. You have to use your imagination a bit, unless you're not familiar with how games look on Dolphin. This is what it looks like from Dolphin's official homepage: (Right click > View Image to see the full size.)

This looks great, I would really love something like this for TP HD.

How many rereleases improve so much? Gears of War didn't even jump that much. Ocarina of Time 3D didn't, either. There's no way it will. But people will still condemn Nintendo for releasing a port of a 2006 game for being a port of a 2006 game.

Miyamotoo said:
ninjapirate42 said:
As much as I'd like for it to I can't see it happening.
Especailly considering Zelda U will be out next year sometime (It better.....) so it would be a great contrast in visual styles if this comes out looking nicer than the tech demo.

While I do love Zelda U's artstyle, I think having a remake look that beautiful would potentially overshadow the new game. Or maybe it would make people fall in love and want to buy Zelda U? Who knows.

Actually that tech demo graphics are outdated by today's standards, but Zelda U graphics are looking very fresh and beautiful.

Hmm you are right. I hadn't looked at it in ages.

Though I really do like that tech demo still. Would make for a wonderful HD remake.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
How many rereleases improve so much? Gears of War didn't even jump that much. Ocarina of Time 3D didn't, either. There's no way it will. But people will still condemn Nintendo for releasing a port of a 2006 game for being a port of a 2006 game.

I disagree.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

BasilZero said:
It wont be like it but it will look better than original TP.

Bold prediction right there.

This picture is from Nintendo investor meeting

Now look this comparison with that picture :)

Need For Speed Most Wanted U is the best looking game on Wii U and it runs at 720p 30fps. i hope TP HD can look better than that E3 2011 Zelda tech demo and run at a good 60fps

-Mahly

If the pic of Link is in fact the Twilight Princess HD model, then no, it won't look like the tech demo.