By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Executive Weighs in on the Possibility of a Future Release of a PS4 With Improved Performance

twintail said:
teigaga said:

"That’s why providing a standard performance version of the PS4 and a high performance version of the console side-by-side is, according to Ito-san, an idea that might be considered."

It means something quite clearly, I don't think anyone is jumping to conclusions. Merely that its more likely this gen then it has been before.

As the article states, it was hypothetical. 

So really it means nothing. 

The realities of the PS4's hardware and architecture is not hypothetical, upgrades are easier now then last gen.  The hypothesis is that sony introduces a newer system. Ito-san merely reinstated that upgraded hardware is more viable now then it was in the past. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Ito-san immediately clarified that he has nothing specific to announce, but the adoption of the X86 architecture, made performance improvements in due time possible."

Around the Network

If Sony ever do this. I'll sell my PS4, buy a Wii U/Xbox One and change my name to Mr.Xbox or Mr.Nintendo depending on what console I choose.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

As long as the older models would be able to play all games, I dont have a problem with this.But if it is not this case, then god no, i hope they dont do it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Problem with what Nintendo did with the 3DS and what this would mean for Sony is that it slpits the userbase, and the only way to actualy harness the extra power is to release games too advanced for the base model of the console, so in the end it doesnt realy work. We have 1 game for the New 3DS, its an uterly pointless upgrade to anyone who already owns a 3DS and simply not worth pricewise for what it provides for anyone who doesnt own a 3DS yet.

The only way that i could support this idea is that ALL games could play on both consoles without ANY restriction whatsoever, only a graphics and fps upgrade from the beefed up Ps4.

Around the Network

60 FPS is already possible, the developers just don't.

Ruler said:
PS4K confirmted lol. Would be awesome to be honest. Imagine playing games like Bloodborne, Driveclub or Uncharted 4 in 4K or 60fps

At that point they might as well call it a PS5 :p 1080p/30fps to 4k/60fps is a 700% increase.

will be ready the day NX comes out

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Random_Matt said:
60 FPS is already possible, the developers just don't.

That's an overly simplified way of looking at it.  Developers are always balancing performance with graphics.  Increase performance, the graphics suffer.  Increase graphical fidelity, the performance suffers. An upgrade would allow more leeway and less compromise when making a game look and/or perform better.

DakonBlackblade said:
Problem with what Nintendo did with the 3DS and what this would mean for Sony is that it slpits the userbase, and the only way to actualy harness the extra power is to release games too advanced for the base model of the console, so in the end it doesnt realy work. We have 1 game for the New 3DS, its an uterly pointless upgrade to anyone who already owns a 3DS and simply not worth pricewise for what it provides for anyone who doesnt own a 3DS yet.

We are talking about improved performance here like running games espcially sony exclusives @60fps or having higher resolution not locking them out for the older hardware