By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you feel that we have reached a balanced ratio of male protagonists vs. female protagonists?

Looking at the movies that came out in 2015, I would say yes, if we don't include superhero movies, for obvious reasons.

Around the Network

Definitively. Now I hope they start including transgender characters from now on.

Wright said:

Definitively. Now I hope they start including transgender characters from now on.

How would you know if they are transgender though?

Should we care, though?

If a movie with an all-Filipino cast is good, then that's good! If a movie with, uh, pansexual (is that even a gender?) actresses end up in a movie that turns out to be even better than Titanic, then it's all well and fine!

But, just because a film has some Muslim or Black or Transgender doesn't mean it's good.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Lawlight said:

How would you know if they are transgender though?

Adam's apple.

Around the Network
TheWPCTraveler said:
Should we care, though?

If a movie with an all-Filipino cast is good, then that's good! If a movie with, uh, pansexual (is that even a gender?) actresses end up in a movie that turns out to be even better than Titanic, then it's all well and fine!

But, just because a film has some Muslim or Black or Transgender doesn't mean it's good.

In an ideal world, we shouldn't but the PC/SJW crowd has made movie discussions to be a lot about this.

I just want good actors, don't care for race sex, orientation and that's from a transgender female black wiccan.... Okay maybe the Black part is right..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

There still are male protagonists, so apparently no.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The goal is equal oppuntunity for everyone and let the best actor/actress get the role.  The issue is how do we reach that point.  For example if a certain role type have histroically always been played by a white male there may be a councious or even a unconcious bias toward a white male actor even if there anouther actor that could play the role better.

For that reason there sometime a need to put pressure on more diverse casting in order to give people a chance that they would not have otherwise.  Over time the bias will be eliminated as people get use to all sorts of people in those roles and then you can just let who ever had the best audition get the job.

It not always about raciest or sexism or some other type of prejudices.  It just people tend to resist change so when they use to something always being a certain way there sometime a requirement to push that change.

Cyran said:

The goal is equal oppuntunity for everyone and let the best actor/actress get the role.  The issue is how do we reach that point.  For example if a certain role type have histroically always been played by a white male there may be a councious or even a unconcious bias toward a white male actor even if there anouther actor that could play the role better.

For that reason there sometime a need to put pressure on more diverse casting in order to give people a chance that they would not have otherwise.  Over time the bias will be eliminated as people get use to all sorts of people in those roles and then you can just let who ever had the best audition get the job.

It not always about raciest or sexism or some other type of prejudices.  It just people tend to resist change so when they use to something always being a certain way there sometime a requirement to push that change.

What type of role is historically played by a white male though? Other than that of a redneck or white supremacist or racist, I cannot think of one.