By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best rpg intro's

Does this count?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

When i saw the title i immediatly thought of Chrono cross. I watched that intro countless times.

Suikoden 2 is the second one to come to mind.

Reading other comments reminded me of Suikoden 3. Also watched that one countless times.

BraLoD said:
That's not Chrono Cross intro, it's the presentation clip that runs before you select the game.

If you consider it an intro, than that's not FF8 intro, because that's after you select the game and it starts with that (which is what I do consider the intro).

I think we can consider everything that precedes the gameplay itself as an introduction, aslong as it starts up as you boot the game and doesnt require you to not press start to see. The case in chrono cross is a prelude aswell as a book with the story is beeing red to you. Who wrote the book? That is the beggining of the story telling right there i would think.

Kingdom Hearts 2. Not only does Utada keep the bar high in terms of music with Passion/Sanctuary, but it recaps the whole series(at that time) along with making viewers say "Who is that guy?" at the end. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5tc4fcg5w

BraLoD said:
Samus Aran said:
This thread needs some WRPG love lol.

It's getting some, but the amount of JRPGs and how lomg they come making fans is depicted.

Fallout 4 will get it more love, Horizon probably as well, but it'll not be as much as JRPGs.

They dominated 4 straight generations, was only last gen that WRPGs got into the position to fight back.

And this gen they (JRPGs) are already coming back up. So there is not wrong going on here.

I don't think this site is a good representation of rpg fans, mostly people here who love Japanese games.

I'd name a WRPG myself, but I've only ever played JRPG's basically. So I'm part of the problem lol.

BraLoD said:
Nem said:

When i saw the title i immediatly thought of Chrono cross. I watched that intro countless times.

Suikoden 2 is the second one to come to mind.

Reading other comments reminded me of Suikoden 3. Also watched that one countless times.

I think we can consider everything that precedes the gameplay itself as an introduction, aslong as it starts up as you boot the game and doesnt require you to not press start to see. The case in chrono cross is a prelude aswell as a book with the story is beeing red to you. Who wrote the book? That is the beggining of the story telling right there i would think.

Aside from the book in the beginning, is there any footage exclusive to that clip?

I agree sometimes may be before the selection as with Demon's Souls, but PS1 rpgs especially have acompilation of in-game cutscenes as the opening, like seems to be with Chrono Cross.

Well, it's ok anyway, be it an opening or an intro they should count, but then we could have games with 2 intros? Sounds strange.

So I call one opening and other intro, but I may have been too picky xP.

LoD also has an opening with some text and a mix of cutscenes and in-game stuff, and a few seconds of footage not into the game (Dart's face while he opens his eyes and turning to dragoon), but that's it, then we have the intro after we choose to start.

It sounds plausable, even though in the end there is little difference between opening and introduction. I guess it does mean in a way that there are 2 intro's. The intro to the game and the intro to the story.

Around the Network

I think its sometimes notable just how irrelevant some WRPG intros are.

Take Mass Effect. It would go on to be an incredible game, and the opening to one of the greatest RPG series of all time - and yet the intro was the definition of 'meh.'

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
I think its sometimes notable just how irrelevant some WRPG intros are.

Take Mass Effect. It would go on to be an incredible game, and the opening to one of the greatest RPG series of all time - and yet the intro was the definition of 'meh.'

Mass Effect 2s intro was (kinda) great, but it was all ingame.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Pretty awesome, can't wait for next year!

Suikoden 3 is by far my favorite.

FF8 has the best intro and outro, and the end of the prelude chapter ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfH3r780So ) is so awesome too.
okay, ff8 has just the best cutscenes ever