By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: More gamers using our platforms than previously

Can anyone provide a link to the full interview? These articles based on a small snippet of oftentimes lengthy interviews are, in a word, shit. They're annoyingly superfluous, often misleading, and only serve to add fule to the console wars. I also question the ethics of a person who takes a quote from another site yet neglects to even name the interviewer.

If I were in a position of power on this site, I would ban the posting of worthless articles like this one, and I'm honestly a little disappointed that none of the mods here are cracking down on this. Does no one else find them as toxic as I do?

Around the Network
Bryank75 said:
padib said:

The PS3 caught up because it brought in strong exclusives and changed the price to an interesting level as compared to its ludicrous entry point.

And my point is that Xbox can also catch up if they improve their offerings of library and price.

Yeah, let's leave it at that. Because I wouldn't want people to think you see the PS3 just winning because "Playstation". That would be rude to your fellows.

Brand means a lot more than just that word. The Playstation Brand tells a story in just a few letters, it has the strength of association with huge core brands such as MGS (which made me buy a PS3 in Gen 7) and Final Fantasy as well as countless other games (Tekken, Gran Turismo) etc. 

So when we refer to Playstation after 20 year on the market, it draws on a lot of memories and relationships. Even if MGS is now a multi-platform title, most people will say "MGS, that is a PS game...I'll get it on PS4. Then the new Final Fantasy will come out and I'll pick that up".

Also you must think of the age of fans, when the first PS was released a lot of them were bought for 8 to 20+ year olds, these people are now older with jobs and kids and influence current buying trends. Xbox has not reached this point of maturity. You see this being exploited in films with Transformers and Turtles. It is tried and trusted. Just my two cent. 

Exactly, it's one reason why I have bought every PS hardware since the PSX and why everyone I know owns a PS4 even those who had a 360,which they owned a PS2 before that anway.The X1 will not catch up for any reason,because MS does not have the vision of exvlusives first and building a brand like Sony has had.They just want to beat the competition instea do make people forget about the competition like Sony has done previously and is doing this generation.

This has to be the weakest reach on a Phil comment yet. Hell, I think we had a couple threads based on quotes from this same interview 2-3 weeks ago.

PS3 sold more than 360 based on blu ray , brand name and multiplats (only few ps3 exclusives are system sellers). Sony ps4 is winning due to brand name, multiplats and being cheaper at the start which caused a lot of people to buy a ps4 at the beginning and now their friends are buying the PS4. Microsoft xbox system isn't doing bad however. Each one selling faster than the previous. Microsoft is expanding by buying Gears of war, Minecraft, Havok and perhaps AMD. Microsoft is building an Army so to speak. Sony can't rely on the format wars anymore since everything is getting more and more digital like they did with the ps3, ps2 and ps1 and if Microsoft buys AMD we know they will be just as cheap if not more cheaper than playstation. So that only leaves brand name for Sony (which is currently powerful).

Snoopy said:

PS3 sold more than 360 based on blu ray , brand name and multiplats (only few ps3 exclusives are system sellers). Sony ps4 is winning due to brand name, multiplats and being cheaper at the start which caused a lot of people to buy a ps4 at the beginning and now their friends are buying the PS4. Microsoft xbox system isn't doing bad however. Each one selling faster than the previous. Microsoft is expanding by buying Gears of war, Minecraft, Havok and perhaps AMD. Microsoft is building an Army so to speak. Sony can't rely on the format wars anymore since everything is getting more and more digital like they did with the ps3, ps2 and ps1 and if Microsoft buys AMD we know they will be just as cheap if not more cheaper than playstation. So that only leaves brand name for Sony (which is currently powerful).

Except xb1 wont sell better than 360.  At this rate, it wont make it.  Yes its ahead but it doesnt matter.  Xb1 barely has any presence in Europe outside of UK unlike 360.  Xb1 still losing in US and Uk unlike last gen.  Xb1 will be lucky to hit 150k in japan LTD, xb360 sold more than 1m.  Xb360 best years were at the 2nd half with kinect.  No kinect to help this time around.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
This has to be the weakest reach on a Phil comment yet. Hell, I think we had a couple threads based on quotes from this same interview 2-3 weeks ago.

It's a far cry, like Halo Reach is to the main series. #Halo5 10/27!

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

"To some it might seem like I should judge our success based on how we do against Sony. Honestly, I don’t. They’re having great success with PS4. They built a nice product in the console. They’re seeing the results of that. For us, we’re selling more Xbox Ones than we did 360s. The thing I’m focused on more than anything is that our usage on Live continues to grow. We have more gamers playing games on our platform," Spencer told VB.

Anyone who is not a Microsoft haters or looking to turn anything Spencer (or Xbox related) into something bad or fanboysism (not calling anyone specifically a fanboy here, just including this group of people) can read this very clearly: More gamers than ever on MS platforms...

He is not even talking about Sony or any other competitors or about having more players than other platforms. Spencer esp. says that he does not even want to compare it the PS4 (for good or bad reasons), so oh dear, lot of noise and assumptions for nothing as always GibbleGrunger when it comes to something about Microsoft lol

Angelv577 said:
Snoopy said:

Except xb1 wont sell better than 360.  At this rate, it wont make it.  Yes its ahead but it doesnt matter.  Xb1 barely has any presence in Europe outside of UK unlike 360.  Xb1 still losing in US and Uk unlike last gen.  Xb1 will be lucky to hit 150k in japan LTD, xb360 sold more than 1m.  Xb360 best years were at the 2nd half with kinect.  No kinect to help this time around.

They won't need kinect. Microsoft has more money than Sony and Nintendo combined. They can advertise and buy their way in. If they make a big minecraft game that is exclusive to xbox one and probably pc. That alone will push more units than kinect would've. Microsoft can afford to expand while Sony and Nintendo can't. Remember, Microsoft bought Gears and Minecraft this gen alone, they can buy other big name software ip. Don't be suprise in the next year or so you hear Microsoft buying bestheda games, respawn entertainment, NFL license to make madden exclusively or more. They don't care so much about losing or making a profit on the xbox they just want windows in people's living room and stop Sony from taking over. They will do what it takes.

I was actually surprised to hear it's selling better than the 360. I wonder if it'll end up at the same sales by the end of the generation?

Imaginedvl said:

"To some it might seem like I should judge our success based on how we do against Sony. Honestly, I don’t. They’re having great success with PS4. They built a nice product in the console. They’re seeing the results of that. For us, we’re selling more Xbox Ones than we did 360s. The thing I’m focused on more than anything is that our usage on Live continues to grow. We have more gamers playing games on our platform," Spencer told VB.

Anyone who is not a Microsoft haters or looking to turn anything Spencer (or Xbox related) into something bad or fanboysism (not calling anyone specifically a fanboy here, just including this group of people) can read this very clearly: More gamers than ever on MS platforms...

He is not even talking about Sony or any other competitors or about having more players than other platforms. Spencer esp. says that he does not even want to compare it the PS4 (for good or bad reasons), so oh dear, lot of noise and assumptions for nothing as always GibbleGrunger when it comes to something about Microsoft lol

It really bothers me when people only read what they want to read and don't look at other posts. This has NOTHING to do with comparing the 360 with the XB1 because the possessive pronoun makes no sense if that was the case. This is an educated guy, not some numb skull. I'm sure he's got a decent grasp of Grammar. If you read it carefully you'll see he's talking about LIVE versus PSN.

The PS5 Exists.