By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: More gamers using our platforms than previously

That's good, because all I do it's watch TV and Netflix on mine. At least it's getting some use, unlike my other consoles. 😜

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
padib said:

Then in that case the exclusives the PS3 got did not change anything to its victory, the remodels either, nor did the price drops.

The PS3 won on brand alone.

Can you hold that point of view with a straight face?

On the internet, perhaps.

We'll leave it at that becaue you're moving goalposts all over the shop. You asked indirectly why the XB1 can't do the same as the PS3 and I gave you an answer. You're now changing it to a debate about the PS3.

The XB1 won't catch up to the PS4 because Playstation is a bigger brand. The reason the PS3 was able to catch the 360 is because it wasn't losing in every region, the gap wasn't as big and Playstation is a bigger brand.

Here's a question for you: Do you think the XB1 can catch the PS4 and if so, why or how?

Don't forget that aligned ps3 were always ahead of x360 and closing the Gap.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

padib said:
GribbleGrunger said:

We'll leave it at that becaue you're moving goalposts all over the shop. You asked indirectly why the XB1 can't do the same as the PS3 and I gave you an answer. You're now changing it to a debate about the PS3.

The XB1 won't catch up to the PS4 because Playstation is a bigger brand. The reason the PS3 was able to catch the 360 is because it wasn't losing in every region, the gap wasn't as big and Playstation is a bigger brand.

The PS3 caught up because it brought in strong exclusives and changed the price to an interesting level as compared to its ludicrous entry point.

And my point is that Xbox can also catch up if they improve their offerings of library and price.

Yeah, let's leave it at that. Because I wouldn't want people to think you see the PS3 just winning because "Playstation". That would be rude to your fellows.

Only if their brands were equal but it's not. The price is already lower and many xbox fans argue that the xbox one's library (I disagree) is better than the PS4's but the xbox one is still losing horribly world wide. How much better does the xbox one's library need to be than the PS4's and how much lower does the price need to be lower than the PS4 to at least match the PS4 in sales?

Yet you think it can catch up?

'

padib said:

The PS3 caught up because it brought in strong exclusives and changed the price to an interesting level as compared to its ludicrous entry point.

And my point is that Xbox can also catch up if they improve their offerings of library and price.

Yeah, let's leave it at that. Because I wouldn't want people to think you see the PS3 just winning because "Playstation". That would be rude to your fellows.

I'm just going to tyoe it one more time because I'm not sure you're quite understanding. You asked why the XB1 couldn't catch up like the PS3 did. I then told you why the XB1 couldn't catch up like the PS3 did and it was because:

The PS3 wasn't losing in every territory, the gap wasn't as big and Playstation is a bigger brand.

This is an answer to why the XB1 can't catch up like the PS3 did. The XB1 is losing in every territory whilst the PS3 wasn't losing in every territory and in fact was slowly catching up. The XB1 is 11.5m (probably 12m now) behind whilst the PS3 was only 5 million behind. Because of the success of the PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP, the Playstation brand is bigger brand and as such as a bigger following, whilst the XB1 isn't anywhere near as big because it lost every generation, (two of which it lost by huge ammounts) and it didn't and hasn't had a handheld to further promote the brand.

We could get into the games but that would just end up as usual: I provide proof, you deny the proof. That's why I've stuck to the basics.

The PS5 Exists. 

padib said:
Aeolus451 said:

Only if their brands were equal but it's not. The price is already lower and many xbox fans argue that the xbox one's library (I disagree) is better than the PS4's but the xbox one is still losing horribly world wide. How much better does the xbox one's library need to be than the PS4's and how much lower does the price need to be lower than the PS4 to at least match the PS4 in sales?

Yet you think it can catch up?

The X1 library is definitely not better than PS4, and since it is not as powerful as PS4, it should be priced lower. So no they haven't played it right yet. They also need to continue to fix the damage they did to their image at launch. Better now but not fixed.

Also, Halo has yet to release, that is an important title for the platform.

So $50 is not enough so how about $100 lower or $150 lower than the PS4? What's the right pricepoint for the xbox one?

We all know that MS does not have the studios to outproduce sony on 1st party games so it would have to rely on 3rd party exclusives which I don't see devs doing unless MS throws butt loads of money at 'em. The only other choices are to build multiple studios or try to buy studios and set them to make games which is also very expensive.

Personally, I think MS would be better off trying to keep the xbox one profitable and focus on producing games that make their fans happy over trying to beat the PS4 on marketshare.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Dravenet7 said:

Pretty much assumed this based on his previous interviews, and pretty much assumed OP wanted to make it click-baity based on the information brought by OP him/herself in the first place

So I wanted to make it 'click-baity'? Here's the acual headline from the article and what you'll see is all I've done is shorten it, as I do with most articles:

Xbox One boss on PS4 sales: We have more gamers playing games on our platform

Xbox one boss = Phil Spencer. I actually removed 'on PS4 sales' but I can add it back in if you wish. 'We have' is pointless and adds nothing but length to the headline. I just shortened it to More gamers play games on our platform. I've changed nothing at all.

We cannot control what other sites choose to title their articles with. What you can do as a thread creator is exercise some discretion. The examiner's title was very obviously clickbait.

In fact, you're required to exercise some due diligence. Please review forum rule number 3 - particularly these two points on thread titles:

• Need to accurately describe the subject content.
  • Should not use deceptive hooks to lure people in

It would be best if you did not post further threads until you have at least perused the rules again. In the interim, I will be helpful and adjust the thread title.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

padib said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Brand means a lot more than just that word. The Playstation Brand tells a story in just a few letters, it has the strength of association with huge core brands such as MGS (which made me buy a PS3 in Gen 7) and Final Fantasy as well as countless other games (Tekken, Gran Turismo) etc. 

So when we refer to Playstation after 20 year on the market, it draws on a lot of memories and relationships. Even if MGS is now a multi-platform title, most people will say "MGS, that is a PS game...I'll get it on PS4. Then the new Final Fantasy will come out and I'll pick that up".

Also you must think of the age of fans, when the first PS was released a lot of them were bought for 8 to 20+ year olds, these people are now older with jobs and kids and influence current buying trends. Xbox has not reached this point of maturity. You see this being exploited in films with Transformers and Turtles. It is tried and trusted. Just my two cent. 

padib said:
GribbleGrunger said:

No one said that it was only because it was a PS console, but that did have a lot to do with it.  PS is just that big of name WW.  No other console could have survived last gen with all the things Sony had going wrong with the PS3 at launch ($200 more than its closest competition, complicated HW, inferior multiplats for the first year or so), let alone ending up in a relatively close 2nd. 

starcraft said:

We cannot control what other sites choose to title their articles with. What you can do as a thread creator is exercise some discretion. The examiner's title was very obviously clickbait.

In fact, you're required to exercise some due diligence. Please review forum rule number 3 - particularly these two points on thread titles:

• Need to accurately describe the subject content.
  • Should not use deceptive hooks to lure people in

It would be best if you did not post further threads until you have at least perused the rules again. In the interim, I will be helpful and adjust the thread title.

I can see your point but if you read it carefully, it does indeed look like he's comparing it to the PS4:

'We have more gamers playing games on our platform'

Why use the possessive pronoun?

edit: I know exactly what he's done and it's a simple matter of mixing one subject with another. The emphasis is unballanced because the question is about the PS4 but just before he says 'We have more players playing on our platform' he talks about LIVE. THAT'S what he's talking about. The thread title should be:

'Phil Spencer: We have more people playing online than our competitors.'

Now the possessive pronoun makes perfect sense.

The PS5 Exists. 

twintail said:

I dont think that changes much. Means pretty much the same thing if he is referring to having more X1 fans now than 6 months ago. it is their platform, they are MS after all. 

Nope, I've just realised he's talking about LIVE versus PSN. It absolutely makes no sense otherwise.

The PS5 Exists.