By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Just finished Gurren Lagann. Again.

Second time going through this anime. I need to legit calm down. It gets me so hyped. 

Sure it's just an anime. But I think there is some deeper meaning to it. Be yourself; or maybe don't let others determine your future. 

Idk. Like Avatar: The Last Airbender I kind of watch this series every year. Just that good. Anybody else Gurren Lagan fans???

PS: I just ordered this dope Gurren Lagan shirt and I'm so gonna wear it at the gym to completely kick ass. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

This is one of the very few animes that bores me to tears. Which is interesting, because I did enjoy Kill la Kill, and some of the people who did GL were involved in the later.

Wright said:

This is one of the very few animes that bores me to tears. Which is interesting, because I did enjoy Kill la Kill, and some of the people who did GL were involved in the later.

That's funny, I'm the same, which is interesting since so many people prefer Gurren Lagann. I recently tried rewatching Gurren Lagann and had to give up on the series and instead watch the movie that summarizes the story to get through the whole thing.

An Anime that I recently rewatched and still thinkis utterly amazing is Evangelion, but I guess that one isn't considered a classic for no reason.

DerNebel said:
Wright said:

That's funny, I'm the same, which is interesting since so many people prefer Gurren Lagann. I recently tried rewatching Gurren Lagann and had to give up on the series and instead watch the movie that summarizes the story to get through the whole thing.

An Anime that I recently rewatched and still thinkis utterly amazing is Evangelion, but I guess that one isn't considered a classic for no reason.

That's fine. You don't have to like it. We just have different tastes in anime. Odd though. Gurren Lagenn is considered one of the best anime's of all time while Kill la Kill is not. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Gurren Lagann I watched because I heard it had some of the biggest mechs in fiction. I was not disappointed.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
DerNebel said:

That's fine. You don't have to like it. We just have different tastes in anime. Odd though. Gurren Lagenn is considered one of the best anime's of all time while Kill la Kill is not. 

I don't think either "deserves" a place among the best animes of all time, though that depends on how big a list you would make, but I found Kill La Kill simply more entertaining.

Gurren Lagann is the Shia Labeouf of the animes.

- Who the hell do you think you are? Isn't your drill the one that will pierce the heavens, the earth, and through to tomorrow?

Gurren Lagann was fantastic. Absolutely epic. There was so much substance to it. It was like an essay on the vast potential of humankind to persevere in the face of adversity, to lapse into self-destruction, and to raise itself up to greatness.

And I almost missed it. I didn't want to watch it because I generally hate Mecha. A friend pushed me, though, so I gave it a chance--and thought it was okay but kind of pointless. I almost dropped it because I thought it was too predictable. Then the turning point happened around episode 8. Gurren Lagann took off after that and it was awesome.

pokoko said:
Gurren Lagann was fantastic. Absolutely epic. There was so much substance to it. It was like an essay on the vast potential of humankind to persevere in the face of adversity, to lapse into self-destruction, and to raise itself up to greatness.

And I almost missed it. I didn't want to watch it because I generally hate Mecha. A friend pushed me, though, so I gave it a chance--and thought it was okay but kind of pointless. I almost dropped it because I thought it was too predictable. Then the turning point happened around episode 8. Gurren Lagann took off after that and it was awesome.

Agree completely with your points. There was a deeper meaning. Adversity is a great way to put it :D

Currently own:

• Ps4

DerNebel said:
ps3-sales! said:
DerNebel said:

I don't think either "deserves" a place among the best animes of all time, though that depends on how big a list you would make, but I found Kill La Kill simply more entertaining.

I think it does. It would depend on how big the list is. I just think the epicness of the series elevated it. Each individual episode kept adding new characters and expanding all the way to the finale. While the first half when they're all kids and everything is friendly and fun; the tone turns in the second half when they are adults and actually having to govern the world and figure how to run things. A bit more serious. 

The cross of these tones is one of my favorite aspects of it. Almost like two seperate anime's. 

I'd put it in my list. In a top ten it'd probably be somewhere in the higher half 5-8.

Currently own:

• Ps4